Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
887 Posts
I'm at 77k. Mine is driven hard everyday. Combination of city and highway. By now I've adjusted how to drive a turbo car vs a naturally aspirated car. They each respond differently.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Regarding lugging and the 2L turbo+9 speed:

Unlike some other cars I've driven my Malibu doesn't lug, at least I can't detect it. My wife's now departed (traded) 2010 Equinox would lug often but I haven't noticed it with my 2017 Premier. I don't hot dog it much but I also don't have any issue blipping the throttle to force a downshift when I think it needs it.

Perhaps that's why I don't hear it with my car?

·
Registered
'17 Chevy Equinox Premier V6 AWD, '07 Chevy Uplander LS Extended, '01 Chevy Malibu, '00 Chevy Malibu
25 Posts
I know I sound like a broken record here, but the AFR on a stock tune is too lean, and the stock spark plugs are too hot.

I also believe there is a learning curve for the driver. Turbo GDI engine do not like to be lugged.

Driving at full throttle with the engine at a low RPM because the transmission is in too high a gear is known as lugging your engine. And while it's bad for naturally aspirated engines, it's even worse for turbocharged ones.

At the most basic level, lugging your engine doesn't make much sense because it puts your engine at a disadvantage. That means it has to work harder to do the same amount of work. But that also means it runs less efficiently, increases engine temperature, and can even cause issues with the engine's timing. With a turbocharged engine, you also have to worry about low-speed pre-ignition, a phenomenon that can damage spark plugs or even crack pistons.

This is why I drive in manual mode and the lowest RPMS I'll keep the engine at are 1800 - 2000 RPMs.
I usually go out to the forums so that I can be aware of potential maintenance issues before I buy a vehicle. I decided that I could stay ahead of the issues associated with direct injection, but I didn't want to worry about LSPI on top of that. That decision led us to get a 2017 Equinox with the V6 last year instead of a newer one.

·
Premium Member
2,477 Posts
I usually go out to the forums so that I can be aware of potential maintenance issues before I buy a vehicle. I decided that I could stay ahead of the issues associated with direct injection, but I didn't want to worry about LSPI on top of that. That decision led us to get a 2017 Equinox with the V6 last year instead of a newer one.
Yep, if you look at my ''fleet'' list in my signature line you'll see my choices for low maint. / aggravation free vehicles.
Definitely no ''turdbo'' motors.

Reactions: DrivenDaily

·
Super Moderator
2016 Malibu 1LT 1.5T/6-speed 6T40
3,378 Posts
Yep, if you look at my ''fleet'' list in my signature line you'll see my choices for low maint. / aggravation free vehicles.
Definitely no ''turdbo'' motors.
I'm not sure how either of those posts help the 2.0T LTG owner that created this thread but congratulations on successful chastising/shaming/trolling/whatever. I hope you feel better about your purchases.

Since the OP of this thread long ago received a resolution from GM and felt good about how it was handled (post 13), I think it can close down.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.