Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My drivers side wiper arm presses to hard against the window and leaves a huge smear in the middle of the window. Dealer has changed it twice and won't change it again. I tried bending it, but the force is too strong. I'm at my wits end on this. Do I try an aftermarket arm to see if there is less tension in the spring? Any help is accepted. Thanks

· Administrator
2011 Malibu LTZ 3.6L V6 Red Jewel Tintcoat
21,021 Posts
Maybe consider a new wiper blade. A smaller blade will increase the pressure on the blade, so a longer one might do the trick. You'll just have to make sure that it isn't so long that it goes past the glass edge or interferes with the other wiper.

· Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It literally presses so hard that it's difficult to lift the arm up to change the blade. Both arms they installed are like that. Passenger side comes up nice and easy. Definitely not the blade.

· Super Moderator
2016 Malibu 1LT 1.5T/6-speed 6T40
4,596 Posts
There was a young lady on here a few months ago describing her driver side wiper arm as having the strength of Zeus. She lifted it up to change and it slammed down so hard it cracked the windshield. Unfortunately she didn't want to offer up year or trim info. Considering the timing perhaps there is a batch of strongies out there.

Since they already tried changing it I'd go the route you suggested. Grab an aftermarket slap it on there. It's a 10 minute change and aftermarket arms are cheap. Likely need a new blade too since it has probably distorted.

· Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wiper blade is probably destroyed by now. I can only get through about 4 storms before it's shot. I usually take my truck when it raining, but sometimes you get caught out on the road. I'll more than likely go that route. Was just hoping some othere might have had the same problem. Thanks

· Registered
2017 Chevrolet Malibu LT
205 Posts
Wiper blade is probably destroyed by now. I can only get through about 4 storms before it's shot. I usually take my truck when it raining, but sometimes you get caught out on the road. I'll more than likely go that route. Was just hoping some othere might have had the same problem. Thanks
RainX may help a little-additional “give” maybe loosen up some friction-hopefully worth trying BUT I’m not sure

· Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes Dealership tried that after the 2nd arm, and it did help a little. The fact that this is pressing so hard against the window, it would wear out the Rainx in the middle of the wipe, and rest would be protected which would make visibility worse. Passenger side is fine. Must have been a bad batch of springs.

· Registered
2017 Chevrolet Malibu LT
205 Posts
Yes Dealership tried that after the 2nd arm, and it did help a little. The fact that this is pressing so hard against the window, it would wear out the Rainx in the middle of the wipe, and rest would be protected which would make visibility worse. Passenger side is fine. Must have been a bad batch of springs.
Nuts-hopefully resolved soon

1 - 8 of 8 Posts