Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
GM Authority is now reporting that there will be a 2023 Malibu and production will commence on September 7, 2022 at the Fairfax plant. As recently as two weeks ago, the same source stated that the future of the Malibu was uncertain.

·
Super Moderator
2016 Malibu 1LT 1.5T/6-speed 6T40
4,105 Posts
I notice GM still has no order guide up to get info or place orders. If they leave it unchanged that would make 8 model years of gen9. I was sort of hoping to see a gen10 with slightly changed exterior with a new base 1.2T i3 / CVT and uplevel 1.3T i3 like the Trailblazer and Encore GX. That would have really generated market excitement. :rolleyes:

Reactions: grafton

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I notice GM still has no order guide up to get info or place orders. If they leave it unchanged that would make 8 model years of gen9. I was sort of hoping to see a gen10 with slightly changed exterior with a new base 1.2T i3 / CVT and uplevel 1.3T i3 like the Trailblazer and Encore GX. That would have really generated market excitement. :rolleyes:
I too was hoping for a new, exciting gen 10.

·
Administrator
2011 Malibu LTZ 3.6L V6 Red Jewel Tintcoat
20,561 Posts
Still lovin' my Gen7 with no turbo...

·
Administrator
20,561 Posts
Non-turbo engines are flawless, not one has ever failed.
I never said that they didn't fail, only that I have less plumbing and less heat under the hood.

For those not aware of the inference posted by @campb292, my 2011 3.6L V6 exploded on me one morning on the way to work. I was only a mile or two from home. One of the con rods poked a hole in the side of the block as well as another hole in the oil pan. At the time, the car had been in service for 4 years, 9 months, and it had 94,xxx miles on it. The Power Train warranty was 5 years/100,xxx miles. And yes, the engine was completely replaced at zero cost to me.

So, I now have a car with 157,xxx and an engine with 63,xxx miles on it. I expect the engine to go way past 94,xxx and the car to exceed 200,xxx or even 300,xxx without any further major issues.

Before that event, I had been pushing my car to the limits quite often, such as shifting at high RPMs and "straightening out" the curves, mostly on highway off-ramps and on-ramps. I tend to think that those curves led to windage and oil starvation, and that the straight-line launches with the engine sometimes reaching 7200 RPMs, to be major contributors to the engine dying prematurely. In essence, it was my fault but I still got treated well. The only positive thing that could be said is that I was using full-synthetic oil at the time, which I believe delayed it.

I still use full-synthetic oil, and I drive a lot differently. I don't think the engine has exceeded 7ooo RPM, and I'm more restrained when going around corners, especially the long, sweeping kind.

So, yes, I still love my non-turbo engine, and I always will. That statement was not made as a hater. If it was taken as such, my apologies. But I still appreciate my current ride. You're allowed to love yours, hate yours, or be ambivalent, and it won't change how I feel about mine.

·
Super Moderator
4,105 Posts
I think that's fair enough with open disclosure. I can't say I love mine as I don't have love for any engine. I have owned a 3.4 V6, 3.8 V6, 5.0 V8, 1.8L i4, 2.0L boxer, 2.5L i4, and 1.5T i4. Only feeling I currently have or have had is appreciation with a big balance of suspicion.

·
Registered
2020 Malibu
30 Posts
I may be alone in this opinion, but I would like to see a full electric Malibu. Even if they gave the car new front/rear fascias to update the look, the rest of the vehicle is already designed. All they need to do is replace the floorpan and driveline.

·
Super Moderator
4,105 Posts
Here's the 2023 Malibu order guide. Looks like they finally dumped the 2.0T like they did on the Terrain and Equinox. No more Premier. They are also bringing Chevy's Safety Assist pack (stuff like pedestrian braking, lane keep assist) to all trims. GM's best 4 banger lives on!

Attachments

Reactions: grafton

·
Administrator
20,561 Posts
Sounds to me like it's the last hurrah for the Malibu.

They're only available with 1 engine, and all the frills, bells, and whistles are being made available so they can clear their shelves before they stop making any more.

·
Premium Member
3,117 Posts
1.5 motors only is for corporate fuel economy average I'll bet on.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Sounds to me like it's the last hurrah for the Malibu.

They're only available with 1 engine, and all the frills, bells, and whistles are being made available so they can clear their shelves before they stop making any more.
Putting inflation and supply chain factors aside, does their making 'all the frills, bells and whistles' standard suggest a substantial price increase?

·
Administrator
20,561 Posts
Decontented, and likely so they can move toward all electric vehicles going forward.

Hmmm, I wonder what this means for folks who rent their homes? Get permission to install a charging port at their own expense, negotiate with the landlord to provide it and likely see the rent go up, or move to a new place that already has a charging port?

·
Super Moderator
4,105 Posts
GMAuthority is just plain lazy. They probably got that report from me when I posted three weeks ago. At least they read CMF.

Reactions: DrivenDaily
1 - 15 of 15 Posts