Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up a 2009 White 2LT on Tuesday and found that the paint was chipping off at the edge of the passenger side fender where it wraps around and meets the grille. That issue and the larger issue of a large paint defect on the drivers side door was enough for me to demand a new vehicle. I picked up another 2009 white 2LT on Friday and gave it a quick once over without noticing anything obviously wrong with the paint. Just a few minutes ago, I was out claying off some rail dust when I noticed the paint chipping off the edge of the front grille where it meets the headlight. The other side of the grille has the same problem in the exact same spot. Has anybody else noticed paint chipping or rubbing off on the front of their vehicle where all the edges come together?

Also, does anybody happen to know that policy for returning and walking away from a deal after the paperwork has been signed and the check handed over? I'm so disgusted right now that I'm not sure that I can trust another Malibu after getting two in a row with paint problems.

·
Registered
736 Posts
That is unbelievable. I'm lucky to not have had any problems with my black paint yet (At least nothing I've noticed). As for the policy for walking away, I think it's going to end up depending on your state's laws regarding this.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I have a spot where the front grill thing meets the fender and some paint chips are there where it was pinched together. I Don't really give a flying chuck! Ask me how much I care in 3-4 years when it is marred with battle wounds. It is just a car in my book.....

·
Registered
74 Posts
Same here. I found it during the first wash. The dealer said I was lucky that I even had paint. He said some cars show up with no paint in the trunk. This will be my first and last GM. I just drop some touch-up paint in there from time to time.

·
Premium Member
903 Posts
This is really, really bizarre and made me re-check ours.

Neither our Dark Gray '08 from Fairfax or my Summit White '09 from Orion have any such issues, or even any chips, to speak of anywhere.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I am not going to buy another GM product because it's missing paint on the inside of gas door? Obviously none of you work in the auto factories. It's a real easy job too and you get paid way more than anything else! Noobs- to make these damn cars it hurts our bodies like you will never know and they will have flaws but in the end you get that whole freaking pyle of metal/plastic at a decent price. Then you go drive it and have no problems only to bitch about the some misaligned plastic piece. Go support your local toyota your traitors and move to Canada too. And vote for McCain because you all have the smart answers!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Same thing on my White 08 LTZ 4cyl. 6 speed, the paint chipping where the fender wraps around and meets the plastic front bumper. Seems that those tight gaps that this car was supposed to be famous for are a little too tight! Not sure whether to take it back to the dealer or just touch it up? Something to think about.

bighitr

·
Registered
196 Posts
I have a spot where the front grill thing meets the fender and some paint chips are there where it was pinched together. I Don't really give a flying chuck! Ask me how much I care in 3-4 years when it is marred with battle wounds. It is just a car in my book.....
dont see it on mine??? Wish I had this guys out look, I d be much happier.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Same thing on my White 08 LTZ 4cyl. 6 speed, the paint chipping where the fender wraps around and meets the plastic front bumper. Seems that those tight gaps that this car was supposed to be famous for are a little too tight! Not sure whether to take it back to the dealer or just touch it up? Something to think about.

bighitr
I went back to the Chevy dealer looking at other Malibu's and didn't see any of the 20 or so I checked with any chipping in the areas around the headlights and where the panels meet. Is it possible that this is only a problem with white paint?

·
Registered
196 Posts
contact your states Division of Consumer Affairs. You can even file a complaint with them. It s up to you to be happy with what the dealer offers on an faulty product. It s a pain in the XXX though.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
contact your states Division of Consumer Affairs. You can even file a complaint with them. It s up to you to be happy with what the dealer offers on an faulty product. It s a pain in the XXX though.
I'm not ready to go that route yet until I see how the dealer reacts when I demand my money back. I'm not sure of their policy but in the past, I believe they had a 72 hour policy for changing your mind on a vehicle. I don't want to walk away from the Malibu but how the hell am I ever going to be comfortable driving it after all of these paint problems I've had?

·
Registered
89 Posts
i have some issues where the bumper meets the front quarter panels. gonna look into it at the dealer this week. :(

·
Registered
196 Posts
I'm not ready to go that route yet until I see how the dealer reacts when I demand my money back. I'm not sure of their policy but in the past, I believe they had a 72 hour policy for changing your mind on a vehicle. I don't want to walk away from the Malibu but how the hell am I ever going to be comfortable driving it after all of these paint problems I've had?
Well, what will you drive, a bike? No matter what you buy these things happen. I ve had 60K Mercedes Benz s and they have issues too.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I am not going to buy another GM product because it's missing paint on the inside of gas door? Obviously none of you work in the auto factories. It's a real easy job too and you get paid way more than anything else! Noobs- to make these damn cars it hurts our bodies like you will never know and they will have flaws but in the end you get that whole freaking pyle of metal/plastic at a decent price. Then you go drive it and have no problems only to bitch about the some misaligned plastic piece. Go support your local toyota your traitors and move to Canada too. And vote for McCain because you all have the smart answers!
You might want to read this forum for the issues this car has. Why should we settle for second rate? GM says it's as good or better than Toyota or Honda. It's time they back that up. They are getting better but not yet quite there.

·
Premium Member
903 Posts
You might want to read this forum for the issues this car has. Why should we settle for second rate? GM says it's as good or better than Toyota or Honda. It's time they back that up. They are getting better but not yet quite there.
Have you seen some recent Toyota's and Honda's? Gee, the Camry that every time even magazines review one garners comments about misaligned panels, rattles, and cheap plastic, not to mention pathetic driving dynamics, or the Accord that's still Honda entertaining to drive but also has gone downmarket in overall finishing with rattles and the legendary class leading road roar.

Every model has its little bugs, and I've seen enough of EVERYTHING from every manufacturer with smaller or larger things, that the "difference" is really little of anything. If you were to go buy a new Cam-Cord today off a lot with a similar sign, drive, and then inspect later practice, I guarantee you you'd still find the same kind of things. Mass production is not like that of a Bentley, but really is of very stringent control. Sometimes things just happen that are unforseen, and the result of a few steps in a process, not immediately apparent. It happens.

But back to the paint issues...hmm. Now I'm starting to also wonder if it's at all paint color specific, or people with all of the different shades have had similar issues.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
After looking at it more closely, it's definitely being caused by the headlight rubbing up against it. I wonder how many people would find the same kind of damage if they were to remove their headlight? I think they made a big mistake by designing all of the seams to be so tight, especially on the front end.

·
Premium Member
903 Posts
After looking at it more closely, it's definitely being caused by the headlight rubbing up against it. I wonder how many people would find the same kind of damage if they were to remove their headlight? I think they made a big mistake by designing all of the seams to be so tight, especially on the front end.
Well...maybe a point, but if the gaps weren't clean and tight, there would be repeated moaning and groaning about how many and how large the gaps are, etc. On the front end of this car and how it all comes together, you really can't leave gaps and still have it look the same.

I just examined both of ours again, and yes the way things are I can see how the rubbing would happen and cause such an issue, but still shouldn't. Rather than demand money back again, if you actually like the car--and I can't imagine you wouldn't, after going through the trouble of getting one--let them fix it. Yes, there's the argument of "shouldn't have to on a new car", but it happens. Either that or do demand they take #2 back now after it's been re-examined, walk away, and try to find something else you want to own instead.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
i have some issues where the bumper meets the front quarter panels. gonna look into it at the dealer this week. :(
That's where my chipping was on the first vehicle. According to the dealer, that is a known issue and there is a TSB out for it. Apparently it's caused by over tightening the hardware that hold them together.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.