Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been looking into this cars LY7 motor for a while now and have yet to see a catch can installation on the 3.6. Has it been done before? I've read these motors eat oil like nobody's business and I think a catch can would be a good addition to the PCV system.

·
Administrator
16,898 Posts
I have the LY7 3.6L VVT V6 in a 2011. It's my 3rd LY7.

I have not experienced what you refer to as "eating oil like nobody's business" at any time.

On the first, a 2009, I owned it for 2 years and 20,ooo miles. Oil changes did not reveal any low oil levels.

On the second, a 2011, I owned it for 3 years and 44,ooo miles before it was totaled by a flood. As above, no issues with oil levels.

On the third and current, another 2011, I've owned it for 6 years, having bought it with 56,ooo miles on it. At 94,ooo the engine was replaced when a con rod grenaded it. The replacement engine has been with me for 3 of those years and 47,ooo miles. Neither engine suffered any oil level issues.

While my experience may be that of only one person, it involves 3 cars and 4 engines for a total of 205,ooo miles, all of which have never suffered from oil level issues.

Oh, I also installed a catch can on my current engine several years ago and have yet to see any oil liquid being captured in the bowl.

Would you be kind enough to share where you heard this rumor?

·
Administrator
16,898 Posts
I need to ask since this makes 2 issues that you've mentioned that don't seem to be reported by owners on here, the first being that the headlights would melt with HIDs and then this where the 3.6L drinks oil.

Where are you getting your information from, and what other horror stories has someone tried to pass off as truth?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My headlight concern was the HIDs melting the cheap Chinese projector housings made for halogens exclusively. I wasn't referring to the OEM housings, just the CarID aftermarket ones.

I have since looked into the oil consumption problems some more, and it seems the issues I am citing are from improper oil change intervals causing the rings to not seal correctly.

But I digress, I'd still like to know if anyone has put a catch can on their LY7 because I generally put them on my cars. I just didn't know how the different PCV setup affected it.

·
Administrator
16,898 Posts
I have one on mine. I have had it on there for several years and have yet to drain any oil from it.

·
Super Moderator
4,590 Posts
After 85k miles, my 2009 Malibu 3.6L would ingest about 1 to 1.5 qts per 5,000 mile oil change. My guess is the piston rings were slowly wearing out after 9 years of spirited driving. I think that was also inherent in the earlier LY7 V6s built before 2010.

My dad was a master tech at a Cadillac shop in the early 2010s and people would abuse the hell out of the CTS V6s, which lead to a lot of oil consumption issues. People would get cheap lube jobs with garbage oil, run these cars 7k, 8k, 9k miles and never check the dipstick.

In my humble opinion looking back, GM wasn't really prepared for the irresponsible owner X-factor when releasing their first family of high output DOHC V6 engines.

Check your oil regularly and if you're not losing more than half a quart of oil between changes, a catch can isn't necessary. Use Mobil 1 or equivalent.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I have a 08 malibu 3.6 which I use as my daily driver and it has 175k miles and I don't have any issues with it eating oil. Granted I have no idea if it is the original motor or not but im assuming it is. I've owned the car for a lil over a year and a half and in that time I have put close to 40k miles on it and so far it's been a great car.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I need to ask since this makes 2 issues that you've mentioned that don't seem to be reported by owners on here, the first being that the headlights would melt with HIDs and then this where the 3.6L drinks oil.

Where are you getting your information from, and what other horror stories has someone tried to pass off as truth?
After 85k miles, my 2009 Malibu 3.6L would ingest about 1 to 1.5 qts per 5,000 mile oil change. My guess is the piston rings were slowly wearing out after 9 years of spirited driving. I think that was also inherent in the earlier LY7 V6s built before 2010.

My dad was a master tech at a Cadillac shop in the early 2010s and people would abuse the hell out of the CTS V6s, which lead to a lot of oil consumption issues. People would get cheap lube jobs with garbage oil, run these cars 7k, 8k, 9k miles and never check the dipstick.

In my humble opinion looking back, GM wasn't really prepared for the irresponsible owner X-factor when releasing their first family of high output DOHC V6 engines.

Check your oil regularly and if you're not losing more than half a quart of oil between changes, a catch can isn't necessary. Use Mobil 1 or equivalent.
I have a 2009 3.6 LTZ that I’ve owned new since June, 2009. I use Mobil 1 synthetic and have over 106k miles with no oil issues.

·
Super Moderator
721 Posts
I have a 2009 3.6 LTZ that I’ve owned new since June, 2009. I use Mobil 1 synthetic and have over 106k miles with no oil issues.
Nothing in the air intake line either? With my 2014 Impala Limited, I noticed that I actually do have some oil in the line. Mine has the updated LFX engine, which I believe is two revisions newer than the LY7 found in the Malibu. I saved my catch can from my Malibu which had such a little amount of blowby and I'll be installing it on the Impala. I do keep an eye on the oil and it seems to be remaining full but I'm curious if anyone finds any traces of oil being pumped into the air intake. I was sort of dumb and didn't clean it out when I put it back on to see if it's one of those things that nobody ever cleaned and it's just been a constant buildup or if there's something going on.

·
Registered
107 Posts
If a car is modern and has a properly working pcv system then a catch can is just a pretty way to monitor everything. All my buddies have them on their dsms and older vehicles, but the oem system would pull the oil right into their turbo cold side.

I do have oil consumption issues out of the blue right now. I do proper oil changes and make sure my system is healthy but i am at 150k at the moment.it could be piston ring or timing chain wear but i have puddles in my intake. Could be a faulty vacuum hose., but i know a catch can won't solve the issue, just bandaid it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts