Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted a while ago about transmission problems I was experiencing in my 2009 LT with the 6 speed automatic. I lost first and sixth gear which made it horrible to drive and talk about crappy fuel economy, Ugh! When problem first started I had at least 6 different codes. After trying many different fixes, including new battery and tranny flush, I ended up with one code left : Shift solenoid A control circuit high. Looked into rebuilding the tranny and found out it just wasn't worth it, seeing as how it takes 8.5 hours just to change the valve body alone! So I opted for getting a brand new transmission. I was down visiting my parents on the coast so decided to have the job done there from a transmission shop that I trust. The tranny was ordered and was told it would take 5 to 7 days to arrive. Apparently GM had no transmissions anywhere and I ended up waiting over 2 weeks for tranny. I finally ended up flying home since my vacation had lasted a few weeks longer than planned. The tranny finally arrived a few days after I returned home and the job was completed in less than 1 day. I drove the 13 hours back to get my car and now have my baby back! The job cost $3000 but my car drives like a dream!

·
Administrator
16,898 Posts
Agree about the nightmarish experience, but so nice to hear that the job has restored the car to such a great condition.

Thanks for stopping by and letting us know how it went!

·
Super Moderator
721 Posts
Wish I would've had the money to replace the transmission in my Malibu but while I still owed on it, I just didn't have the funds to cover it. I was sad to trade it in but only having the 2.4, I just didn't feel it was worth the money. Had I owned a 3.6, I probably would've figured out how to come up with the funds somehow. My Impala with the 300hp 3.6 is a thrill to drive and doesn't smell awful when you put the pedal down.

But I'm certainly glad the story has a happy ending as well and thanks for coming back and giving us the update!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts