Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my Malibu LT a couple of weeks ago. It came with only one key. I ask about having a key made at the dealership. They say the key will cost $35 to $70. They say the key has a chip in it. Is there a way to get a spare key without paying $35 to $70?

·
Registered
489 Posts
Well, you may be able to go to any hardware store and get a spare made, but it will only open the doors. The biggest question is to find out whether or not that $30-70 includes programming the key to work with your car. If it does, see how much it would cost just to cut the key. You can program it yourself.

·
Registered
438 Posts
It probably is cheaper to get the key cut without programming (and do it yourself) but you still pay a lot for a programmable key in the first place. You can get a key for just the doors (no chip) at some hardware stores, but very few have the correct blanks and will be willing to do it. Sometimes if you explain you dont want it to start the car they will, but some will refuse.

·
Registered
749 Posts
That "chip" is the PASS III+... keeps people from making a cut of your key.. without the "chip" your engine won't start....

I would assume the $70USD would include that programming! Just ask the dealer...

While you're there.. ask why they didn't give you two keys in the first place? I never would've left if I didn't have both (unless it's pre-owned..)

·
Registered
307 Posts
That "chip" is the PASS III+... keeps people from making a cut of your key.. without the "chip" your engine won't start....

I would assume the $70USD would include that programming! Just ask the dealer...

While you're there.. ask why they didn't give you two keys in the first place? I never would've left if I didn't have both (unless it's pre-owned..)
I wouldn't of left with one even if it was pre-owned lol judging by his sn the car is an 06

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
I bought my Malibu LT a couple of weeks ago. It came with only one key. I ask about having a key made at the dealership. They say the key will cost $35 to $70. They say the key has a chip in it. Is there a way to get a spare key without paying $35 to $70?
I got 2 keys with my 08 LTZ, I recieved 2 sets of keys with all my cars ;)

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I got my Malibu from the auto auction. It's a Government service car. I paid $3000 less than the Kelly blue book value price. The dealership that I ask didn't have a key machine. They told me where I could get a key made and approximately how much it will cost. I'm used to paying less than $5 for a key at Wal-Mart so $35 to $70 seems expensive.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Yea the chips keys are more expensive, than the standard. I would call around but if you got the car for a good deal...what is another $50

·
Registered
438 Posts

Well you can cut the key without the chip, actually. It just wonthave the chip to work with the ignition, but it would unlock the doors and the ignition may work for a very short time.

I had a 1 yr old car I purchased and was verbally told by the dealer they'd cut me a new key with a chip. They gave me a key without the chip. I ended up only having the 1. Shortly before selling it I went to the dealership to fight and get the chipped key for free but the owners changed and they said no. I started looking at new cars while I was there, and by the time the Nissan USA people contacted me to resolve the issue, I'd bought the Malibu.

There are places you can go that are cheaper than the dealer, but I'd just use them. If you can get the key cut (the metal cutting of the key) with a chip, you can program it yourself, so see how much less that is than the $70. If it's not much then just spend the $70 if it's half, do the programming yourself. If you just need a spare to get in the door if need be, take it to a hardware store like Ace, explain why you're cutting just the metal and dont need the chip and they should do it for you.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.