Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone had this film installed for hood and bumper protection?
I do alot of highway driving and overtime stones do a job on these areas.
Please reply if you know about this film.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I should get my entire car coated in this stuff. :D Too bad there are no installers nearby.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I should get my entire car coated in this stuff. :D Too bad there are no installers nearby.
There are proabably installers in your area that aren't listed on the 3M site. Many Chevrolet dealerships are qualified to install 3M clear protection. There is actually a TSB on the GMT 360 platform that calls for installation of 3M.

·
Registered
148 Posts
yeah alot of dealers can do it and probably any vinyl guy can put it on as well

·
Registered
74 Posts
I have it on my other car. It's about 3 years old and still holding up great. It's on a black car and it's shiny like the car. I love it. But I've seen the cheaper versions that's not 3M. It turns yellow.

Don't plan to put on it on the Malibu - it's a company car.

·
Registered
701 Posts
I am really interested in this product also. I also do ALOT of highway driving, I have talked to the dealer and is $180 CDN Installed, definately going to do this.

My poor Black GP has not held up well from the highway, the hood looks like swiss cheese with all the little white stone chips.

Out of curiosity, does anyone currently have this installed? If so, I hear there is a visible line across the hood that you can see. How visible is it? Can someone take a picture of there's?

Thanks.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have the 3 mill (I think) 3M film on my 2004 Accord. Over 100,000 miles and it still looks good. Very recommended.

·
Registered
701 Posts
Kevin A...

Thanks for the info...

Do you have any pictures of it? Just curious if the mysterious white line exists?

Thanks,

·
Registered
74 Posts
Kevin A...

Thanks for the info...

Do you have any pictures of it? Just curious if the mysterious white line exists?

Thanks,
DOACanuck, the white line is usually from the wax accumulating there. The film is clear so there is barely a line there. One just have to be diligent to get the wax off there.

·
Registered
701 Posts
DOACanuck, the white line is usually from the wax accumulating there. The film is clear so there is barely a line there. One just have to be diligent to get the wax off there.
LOL - DOACanuck - LOL Thanks! Cute....

That's what I thought the line would be, more from dust, wax, and other "debris".

Keeping ti clean shouldn't be too big of a deal, it will be a my new baby and all.

Cheers.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I just waxed the Honda last weekend and with little effort keep wax from building up at the edge of the Clear Bra. Actually I waxed it once with a cleaner wax by McGuiers, then another coat of NanoWax by Eagle. There really is no white line to see if you pay attention at the edge.

Attachments

·
Registered
12 Posts
Thanks. It has 102,000 miles and I'm amazed myself how great the car looks still. The Prowler behind it is a tough one to keep looking shiny with its black paint. The Nanowax by McGuires does a good job.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have used it on cars for years, here in colorado the dealer puts it on most new cars, you pay about $200 on the sticker price, I have done it my self in the past, I could get it from a local car and truck accessories place or even a window tint place for about $6 per lf, it was 18" wide, all you need to install it is some time, heat gun, solution (water & alcohol), but I think it is well worth it, the white line I can usually take care of with a detail brush, if you don’t want to buy one get a natural bristle paint brush and cut the bristles down to about 1/2 in, has worked well in the past, that will take care of the wax on the leading edge of the clear bra. It also works well around badges.

·
Registered
701 Posts
Thanks. It has 102,000 miles and I'm amazed myself how great the car looks still. The Prowler behind it is a tough one to keep looking shiny with its black paint. The Nanowax by McGuires does a good job.
:eek:Oh SNAP!:eek: Didn't even see that, god that's a beauty....I think you need to post some pics of that also!!!!

·
Registered
701 Posts
I have used it on cars for years, here in colorado the dealer puts it on most new cars, you pay about $200 on the sticker price, I have done it my self in the past, I could get it from a local car and truck accessories place or even a window tint place for about $6 per lf, it was 18" wide, all you need to install it is some time, heat gun, solution (water & alcohol), but I think it is well worth it, the white line I can usually take care of with a detail brush, if you don’t want to buy one get a natural bristle paint brush and cut the bristles down to about 1/2 in, has worked well in the past, that will take care of the wax on the leading edge of the clear bra. It also works well around badges.
Hey, thanks for the info and insight...some great tips are here.

·
Registered
1 Posts
If you're in Cambridge, there is a company based locally that exclusively fabricates and installs the authentic 3M brand paint protection film. The website is www.NoChip.ca.

There are a lot of photos and a full catalogue/pricelist on the website. The gentleman that does the installation usually does it through the new car dealers, but will also do direct retail installations for any vehicle. He's very skilled; covers all the tri-cities area. I've had him do the protection on my last three vehicles and I absolutely think it's the way to go.

·
Registered
701 Posts
If you're in Cambridge, there is a company based locally that exclusively fabricates and installs the authentic 3M brand paint protection film. The website is www.NoChip.ca.

There are a lot of photos and a full catalogue/pricelist on the website. The gentleman that does the installation usually does it through the new car dealers, but will also do direct retail installations for any vehicle. He's very skilled; covers all the tri-cities area. I've had him do the protection on my last three vehicles and I absolutely think it's the way to go.
CarGirl - Thanks for the great info....My wife's car is in need of this, I think I may have to wax her car now, touch up some of the paint chips and see if he will do an install on her Pontiac Vibe for me.

Thanks again.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.