Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello All...

Further to previous posts I thought I would start a new one. Not sure about my friendly americans, but up here in Canada the only 3M protective film product for our malibu's is a $150 CDN piece that goes on THE HOOD ONLY!!!

No front clip protection....Well sorry for me that is not good enough, so the fun began.....

The guy I use to tint the windows on my vehicles (does an AMAZING JOB!) also does the 3M protective film, called him on Friday and was talking to him about custom job's.

Brought the car by and we talked about it, so we came to the conclusion that in order to have maximum protection (since 95% of my driving is all highway driving) we would coat the front of the car as shown below.

He is giving me a good deal on it ($450 CDN) considering the piece for just the hood is almost $200 with taxes, he said he would give me a good price, based on the fact he has not done a malibu yet, although there is not a lot of film being used, customer cutting it is going to take quite a long time.

So it has been booked for Thursday, I am very excited, since when I was looking at the car on Friday I have noticed already to fair sized "stone chips" in the front clip and on the hood. I have the touch up paint and he has offered to touch it up for me before he apply's the film.

I will take some pic's of it done, but from everything I have seen, it is not noticable at all.

Outlined below in red is the area that will be protected (Only painted surfaces though).

PHOTO CREDIT --> Purplemyst79 - (hope you don't mind I used your image, it was the best angle pic available)

·
Registered
569 Posts
I have several large rolls of the Clear protective stuff from Avery and had thought about trying it out since im not using it for anything else, I know the malibu's front bumper is not going to be fun at all to do but with patience Im sure it will turn out just fine.

I noticed when cleaning the car on the side skirts I have what looks like is the protective film near the back tires

·
Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thought about the side mirrors, gonna see if he will do them for free with the material left over.

·
Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Dropped it off last night for him.....he is working on it today! Keeping my fingers crossed it comes out with no noticable difference.

Can't wait to see it though.

·
Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well - I got my baby back this weekend!!!! All I can say is WOW - He did an amazing job and you can barely even see it!!!!

I will take some pic's and post them up so you can see it....I am very happy that I did this!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Hello All...

Further to previous posts I thought I would start a new one. Not sure about my friendly americans, but up here in Canada the only 3M protective film product for our malibu's is a $150 CDN piece that goes on THE HOOD ONLY!!!

No front clip protection....Well sorry for me that is not good enough, so the fun began.....

The guy I use to tint the windows on my vehicles (does an AMAZING JOB!) also does the 3M protective film, called him on Friday and was talking to him about custom job's.

Brought the car by and we talked about it, so we came to the conclusion that in order to have maximum protection (since 95% of my driving is all highway driving) we would coat the front of the car as shown below.

He is giving me a good deal on it ($450 CDN) considering the piece for just the hood is almost $200 with taxes, he said he would give me a good price, based on the fact he has not done a malibu yet, although there is not a lot of film being used, customer cutting it is going to take quite a long time.

So it has been booked for Thursday, I am very excited, since when I was looking at the car on Friday I have noticed already to fair sized "stone chips" in the front clip and on the hood. I have the touch up paint and he has offered to touch it up for me before he apply's the film.

I will take some pic's of it done, but from everything I have seen, it is not noticable at all.

Outlined below in red is the area that will be protected (Only painted surfaces though).

PHOTO CREDIT --> Purplemyst79 - (hope you don't mind I used your image, it was the best angle pic available)
I noticed after a year of driving the nose is catching a beating on the highway, so I liked your idea about protecting the car. I called around to find out how much it would cost to do what you have done and I'm looking at about $550 USD. I just can not bring myself to pay that since I live in the Boston area; which I would if I lived up in Portland. Bummer because most of my knicks are across the bumperline.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I had the clear bra installed at the dealer (part of the deal) full front to include the headlights and side mirrors, worth every penny, cheaper than repainting your bumper/hood.

·
Registered
6 Posts
i had the 3M installed on a previous car and it was well worth it. I hear there is a new product out now called "Xpel". i talked to an installer who has worked with both, and he says the Xpel is far superior than the 3M. and for the same price. To do the front end, mirrors, lights, door handle areas, and door edge guards around $600. has anyone used this other make?

·
Registered
135 Posts
this is worth it, the paint on these bumper is extremely thin.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.