Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Any thoughts or personal experience with 3rd party Nav systems? Looking to purchase in near future and need some feedback. Need info on mounting, portability, free updates on mapping and POIs and the such...

Garmin

·
CMF Honorary Member
1,143 Posts
Any thoughts or personal experience with 3rd party Nav systems? Looking to purchase in near future and need some feedback. Need info on mounting, portability, free updates on mapping and POIs and the such...[/IMG]
The photo you supplied looks to be a Garmin Nuvi 350. It's the one I own and I think it's one fine unit. Very intuitive and easy to use. The price is now much lower than I paid a year ago. I think you can pick it up for around $275.

It does have a few drawbacks. Tell it where you want to go and it will always get you there. Sometimes it will select a route that, you know ahead of time, will be congested. There is not way to reject a route and have the Nuvi 350 select an alternate. Some Garmins will allow you to select a route on your PC and download it into the GPS. This unit will not.

It will only allow you one "via". Some think this is a problem, but I don't. I took a long road trip back in Sept that took me from Pa to Providence, RI, then on to Bar Harbor, Me, then on to Stowe, Vt. I programmed each of my stops ahead of time. This stores the locations into a folder labeled "My Recent Locations". I then selected my next stop from this folder and all is well.

I've never placed the unit into my Malibu. I would think it would be hard to use the suction cup mount because the 'Bu dashboard is so deep. I prefer to mount the unit on the windshield above the center console in my truck. I don't think that's very practical in the 'Bu. I may be looking into the sandbag mount offered by Garmin.

I hope this helps, if you have any specific questions. please ask them.

·
Registered
749 Posts
I realise this is an old thread but I have the Garmin Nüvi 750 and I love it.. It hasn't brought me through a poor route yet and destination input is VERY easy. I'm sure the lower-priced ones are similar too.. I just needed the UK English because I can't understand the US English for the life of me.. especially when it's a computer speaking.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I've also got the Nuvi 350 and have loved the unit and like the poster from a couple replays back the unit is insanely cheaper than the $500+ I paid for it last summer. I did have one problem with the unit that Garmin has gotten a lot of complaints with that the Diode that controls weather the unit uses its internal antenna vs. an external antenna. Mine messed up and the unit kept thinking it was plugged into an external antenna and wouldn't pick up a signal. But a quick call to Garmin not only fixed my problem but sent me a new unit to boot. If your get the unit get the traffic antenna as well about another $150 but it saves you so much hassle.

If your gonna drop bank on one these beauties tho I'd go with a newer model. Most have MSN integrated into the unit to not only show traffic but things like movie times and the best of all GAS PRICES! So drop a few extra bills and get the better one.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I have a TomTom ONE V3. It has been off/wrong several times. Sent me to the wrong end of Waukesha County (Near Milwaukee) this past weekend, but overall not a bad purchase. Can be had at Wal Mart for roughly $150.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I just found the answer to everyones issue in disgust over not offering a in-dash navigation. I am talking about a mount that is designed specifically for the 2008 Malibu. I am not a big fan of mounting the unit on the windshield so I was looking for something that mounted to the dash but because the compartment is there, none of the standard mounts work for me. Here is the link. It is in black leather trim so it won't work for the lighter interiors but I have the ebony/brick so this works great. In addition, it is perfectlly placed. You should not have lean to use the nav. I am going to purchase this with the Panasonic 5 inch nav.

http://www.kudausa.com/kuda_mount_and_holder_for_chevrolet_malibu_since_2008-6-539.html

·
Registered
701 Posts
hey Folks....

On this topic, my wife asked me the other day what I though about buying one of these for her parent's for Christmas. Although I am somewhat opposed, as they are technologically challenged, I don't have much experience with them and wonder how difficult they really are to use?

What would everyone recommend for a people who are technologically challeneged? Note that the "kids" will buying this for them for Christmas so cost is a bit of a concern.

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
749 Posts
As I've already said, I have the Garmin Nuvi (Well I did I just sold it since I use my OnStar).. but it was the best purchase ever. It's EXTREMELY user-friendly.. tell you exactly what to do and provides excellent and easy navigation. The nuvis range from around... $150USD up to around $800USD.. I tried other brands and just wasn't as satisfied as I was with the Garmin.

·
CMF Honorary Member
1,143 Posts
As I've already said, I have the Garmin Nuvi (Well I did I just sold it since I use my OnStar).. but it was the best purchase ever. It's EXTREMELY user-friendly.. tell you exactly what to do and provides excellent and easy navigation. The nuvis range from around... $150USD up to around $800USD.. I tried other brands and just wasn't as satisfied as I was with the Garmin.
I'll echo Pepsi's comments. They make a fine machine, easy to use and, as far as I'm concerned, they use the best mapping software available. Updated maps can be costly, but it doesn't need to be done every year.

Makes a nice gift.

·
Registered
701 Posts
Thanks for the input folks....I will relay the info to the decision makers (my wife and sister-in-law)

LOL

·
Registered
76 Posts
Ok everyone. Here are pics of my Malibu with a On-Dash Portable GPS with bluetooth device. The mount came from Kuda Usa wrapped in black leather which matches my ebony/brick interior perfectly. The GPS is the Panasonic Strada 5 inch and attaches to the mount with a swivel clip made specifically for this unit. The clip can be found here http://www.kudausa.com/panasonic_strada_cn-gp_50_gps_swivel_&_tilt_mount___adapter_holder-1397.html.

The mount can be found here http://www.kudausa.com/kuda_mount_and_holder_for_chevrolet_malibu_since_2008-6-539.html#

The total for both items with shipping (56.10 + 29.50 + 9.50).

Attachments

·
Registered
569 Posts
Thats a nice looking mount.. I wouldnt mind having something like that for my zune

·
Registered
569 Posts
The leather wrapped mount comes in a variety of colors. They should have the colors that match your trim as well.
Looking at there site the two leather mounts are only in black and I have the Cocoa and cashmere interior

·
Registered
76 Posts
Here is the link to the Kuda Germany site which lists the different leathers available for the mount. Just click on the material list to choose the color of your choice.

http://www.kuda-phonebase.de/start.php?id=2

You may need to contact them directly to place the order with the color you want. Just contact a US rep and they will contact them directly. I have a contact if you would like his number.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Here is the link to the Kuda Germany site which lists the different leathers available for the mount. Just click on the material list to choose the color of your choice.

http://www.kuda-phonebase.de/start.php?id=2

You may need to contact them directly to place the order with the color you want. Just contact a US rep and they will contact them directly. I have a contact if you would like his number.
Yeah that would be awesome!

·
Registered
76 Posts
His name is Dirk Kuhlmann and his email address is [email protected].

Dirk Kuhlmann
KUDA PHONEBASE GMBH
DAMME 49401
GERMANY

KUDA USA INC.
3804 CARVER PLACE
IRVING, TX 75061
USA

(866) ITS KUDA Toll Free
(972) 399 7808 Phone
(972) 986 0223 Fax
(817) 881 1774 Cell USA