Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

4 or 6?

4K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  BuckyFan 
#1 ·
The new Malibu seems to like these numbers, or at least combinations of them.

4 cyl, 4 speed. 4 cyl, 6 speed. 6 cyl, 6 speed. What's a guy to do?

Almost every review I've read about the 4 cylinder has some kind of negative comment about the 4 speed automatic, and I've read several that actually say to wait for the 6-speed in 2009. Of course, that would mean I would have to wait a bit longer to get mine... unless I wanted one of the spring 4 cylinder LTZ's, which probably is just a little bit of stretch for me financially. And, considering that 2008 4-speed models might be able to be had for a lower price once the 2009's start rolling in, that might be beneficial to me, as long as I'm not missing out on the updated transmission.

Anybody out there have any thoughts/comments/complaints about their 4 cylinder with 4 speed auto? Is it worth the wait (and probably extra cash) to have the 6-speed?

Then there is the issue of power. And what kind of drawbacks I will really notice with the 4 cylinder. My first vehicle had a 5.7L V8 Silverado and I'm driving an older Buick with a 3.3L V6 in it now... so, will it be a shock to all of a sudden only have a 4 cylinder pulling me around? I should specify that I'm not really primarily concerned with zip. Sure, I get a thrill from opening it up, and I enjoy doing so occasionally... but not so much with gas prices the way they are now.

I guess I'm just wondering if I'm going to be kicking myself if I get a 4cyl for better fuel economy and end up really missing that "extra something."

...Or maybe I should have just titled this thread: "Hey guys, should I get a 4 cylinder with a 4 speed or a 6 speed? Or should I just throw that out the window and get a V6?"

But that doesn't quite roll off the tongue...

See less See more
Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.