Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Does it bother anyone that the 4 cyl. will have a standard 6 speed trans. in 2009? I really wish they would have done that on the 2008 model. Do you think it will make a huge amount of difference?:confused: Seems to be big on all the reviewers list of must haves!

·
Registered
67 Posts
It's not anything to lose sleep over, if that's what your asking. Will it drive better? Probably. Better mileage? They say 1 more MPG city and 2 more MPG highway. But in reality, the 4 speed is MORE than adequate. Some people say that it doesn't do a great job of keeing the 2.4 in it's power band, but I can't say I agree. I came from a torqueless wonder (Honda) so the 2.4 to me has plenty of power regardless of RPM. The 6 speed may make more of a difference at lower speeds by making better use of the power, but at in-town speeds, it's not likely you'll notice much of a difference.

The one advantage the 4 speed does have is that it's a tried and true tranny. They've used it on everything for the last 10 years and it's damn near bullet proof (at least at our power levels). The 6 speed is a new development and it's durability remains to be proven. There have been several reports of driveability issues with the 6 (although it sounds like software snafus for the most part)

FWIW, my Bu feels just like my buddies Camry LX, and his has a 5 speed auto.

·
Registered
5 Posts
No it doesn't bother me. Personally, I would rather have the 4 speed with the 10 year track record. With either the 4 speed or the new 6 speed, you still get a 5 year 100,000 mile powertrain warranty so you are covered either way.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies. When you read this stuff you think "Oh no maybe I should wait!!??" but then again they are taking some things off the "08" I want. Your point about the 4 speed is well taken in that it has a proven track reacord, that puts my mind at rest a bit more. I suppose if I waited for everything on a car I would never buy one!

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Standard Engine:2.4L I4, 16 valve, 169 hp @ 6400 rpm
6 speed automatic transmission
Not Available city / Not Available hwy
Green Rating: Unavailable

This from Yahoo Auto's review of the 2009 Malibu. It is standard for the LTZ and the LT2

·
Registered
67 Posts
Right now for 2008 the 2.4/6 speed is only available in LTZ package. For 2009, all 2.4s get the 6 speed (I heard somewhere that the LS still has the 4 but I can't confirm that)

·
Registered
114 Posts
I had to have a car before my current car's registration and inspection ran out so I had to take action in either ordering or finding a Malibu I wanted. I went the order route and just met my deadline but in doing so I just missed being able to get the 6 speed. In some ways I do wish I had been able to get the 6 but I have always had a 4 speed so I guess I won't miss it. Plus with the history behind the 4 by the next time I get a vehicle they should have all the bugs out of the 6 speed.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I will be waiting for the 6, less engine noise and smoother shifting is what reviews have said about the 4cyl 6 speed combo, and 2 MPG increase over the 4.

Don't care about the track record because of the 5 year 100,000 mile warranty and the fact that things are super engineered theses days.

·
Registered
244 Posts
So far, Im more than pleased with the 4...when do the 09's roll out?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Ok, i know this is an old thread but... I have an '09 with the six speed. I know it may get one or two more mpg's and i read that the 6speed has a faster 0-60 time, but my 6speed just cant seem to find a gear. Its constantly shifting. I dont think 6speeds are useful in a 4cyl (just my opinion.) Sometimes my Bu holds its gear so damn long it bearly moves. Then i push the pedal and it shifts down 2 gears and the economy plunges anyway. Really makes me wish i had the 4speed so the power would always be there and the car would shift less.

Dont get me wrong, it feels ok, but ive driven cars that have shifted smoother (especially in manual mode.) If I had to purchase over again, i'd consider a 1LT for the 4speed...Really...

Question, Is the 6speed better matched with the 6cyl?

·
Premium Member
915 Posts
Question, Is the 6speed better matched with the 6cyl?
It seems to be, largely because the engine just has a lot more power to work with.

Having driven several of both in the past week, the 4-cyl 6-speed can be a little unsettled or confused feeling at times, as it generally steps off well but then can get a little lost as speed increases. Then again, people have complained about a little of the same thing in the V6, except the power is so much stronger it doesn't have to shift around as much to keep you roaring along, and feels calmer.

I think the difference in power is what makes the biggest difference, with how the 6-speed can perform, especially after my multiple drives.

·
Registered
421 Posts
I don't know that the six speed feels better even with the 3.6. I haven't driven a 3.6 4AT ever before to be able to compare, so I can't strictly hold the tranny accountable, but I do know that the 3.5 4AT in our 2004 Malibu seemed a lot less shifthappy and was usually smoother shifting when it did. The 3.6 6AT is way, WAY more powerful feeling, but the 3.5 may've been a bit more liveable day-to-day.

·
Registered
701 Posts
I have over 1500 miles on my 3.6 6AT, I have to say, I don't really feel like it is shift happy. Mind you I may be an exception as I drive 90% highway, and there are no really steep hills so it isn't under a lot of load / pulling.

I find the shifting to be very smooth, and in most cases unnoticable.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I have a 2009 LS 4cyl w/4speed auto and it goes just fine and am averaging 21-22mpg. Couldn't be happier with my baby!!!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Our 09 1LT 4cyl. with the six speed does perfectly fine. It's averageing 24.5mpg in city stop and go driving.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.