Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Sponsored Editorial Content
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

From increased safety to capturing beautiful vistas, driving with a dash cam nowadays is a no-brainer.

From Russian meteors to Chinese firework factory explosions, the dash cam has become the darling of viral video entertainment. And is responsible for capturing an unfathomable amount of footage that, collectively, has garnered billions of views on the Internet. That’s amazing since the point of owning a dash cam is far different. Most people are more interested in the legal and safety benefits of driving with a dash cam than online entertainment royalties.
Read more about the 5 Reasons You Should Drive with a Dash Cam.

·
Super Moderator
2017 SS Sedan 6.2L
4,876 Posts
Well that was a very weak article covering a very important subject. In our narcissistic 21st century culture, the odds of dishonesty in car accidents has skyrocketed compared to prior generations. A few years ago while she was in grad school, my wife was struck violently in the side of her car while sitting at a red light. A high school girl in a pick-up truck gave it too much gas turning out of her school parking lot causing her to fishtail around and plow head on into my wife's driver side door.

The girl backed up from the accident and sped away, giving not a single f*** whether she had just injured another person. It was more important to flee the accident and the responsibility. Police were called, a report was made, but guess what: without a license plate or video of the event, nobody helped her. Parents of the student never stepped forward and the school turned her away with no sympathy.

I've also had my car struck in the parking lot of my old apartment complex, i.e. one of my neighbors. I had parked alone in an area of the largest spots available. No note, no apology, nothing. I had to call the cops to file a report, which lead nowhere. I had to pay a large deductible for the repairs during a time when our income wasn't great and my car was the nicest thing I owned. My insurance rate went up over 20% despite not being in the car and having actively sought out a safe spot.

Since upgrading to the SS, I bought a dashcam. It protects my investment and my insurance standing, as well as providing other drivers on the road with an infallible witness account should something happen near me.

·
Super Moderator
2017 SS Sedan 6.2L
4,876 Posts

·
Administrator
2011 Malibu LTZ 3.6L V6 Red Jewel Tintcoat
17,634 Posts
I was using a Mobius until the end of April when I switched to a Viofo A119S, which is the same camera. I opted for the GPS mount that is also a quick-disconnect. Without it I'd have to unplug the camera and use a suction cup. The GPS mount comes with 3M adhesive that securely attaches to the inside of the windshield. I mounted mine so that it is hidden from my view behind the right side of the mirror.

It is the same camera as the SpyTec but with a different brand name attached to it.

While I haven't used it for tracking down weird drivers or even as evidence when I was rear-ended, the Mobius was recording at the time that my engine threw a rod through the block as well as the oil pan. GM Power Train warranty covered the disaster 100%. I mentioned that I had video of it and provided it to them un-edited. They didn't say that the video helped them decide whether to cover it or not, but I'm sure it didn't hurt.

One thing you want to do is to use a special type of SD card, one that is designed for continuous recording and re-recording. I bought a 64GB "High Endurance" Micro SDXC. The Mobius was using a 32GB that was not of that type and I think it may have contributed to the camera sometimes not functioning several times.

·
Registered
266 Posts
I got rear ended by a pickup truck that was driving erratically, switching lanes on the expressway while coming home from work. No witnesses, got their license, called the cops. The plate wasn't in the system yet, took a couple months before the insurance company called me as they kept running the plate. By then, no damage was found on the truck front bumper, too bad for me.

I installed a BlackVue DR650S-2CH front and rear camera in my Malibu.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Yeah I agree, in today's world you almost can't leave your driveway without having a dashcam. People are quick to hurt you or destroy things you've worked hard for without batting an eye. I think people should take this more seriously, along with car companies. If backup cameras are becoming a standard in vehicles, so should dash cams.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.