Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
I have put just over 500 miles on my Malibu since I took it to the dealer for all the recalls and the faulty tire pressure monitor. The Service Rep told me that there were a bunch of recalls that had to be done so they had the car for several days and had to order a part. One of the recalls he mentioned was "Transmission" re-programing.... I was a little put off by this since for the most part my car has been pretty Ok for all the time I have owned it. Well most of the driving I did before I retired was commute to and from work approx 36 miles each way 65-70 going, 5 to 8 to 20 to 65-70 coming home. Now driving around town the Transmission shifts way different and if you let off and brake, it acts like it couldn't make up its mind to up shift or stay or downshift....jerky to say the least. I called the dealer and it was explained to me that the the computer/transmission had to relearn my driving habits/style....WTF is that. I drove it away from a dealer and got on the freeway and never had this now its got to learn my driving style. I'm happy they fixed the Tire Pressure Monitor under warranty, but if this transmission was a fix I didn't have to have shouldn't they ask first or is it just GM policy to fix it event if it ain't broke.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Now driving around town the Transmission shifts way different and if you let off and brake, it acts like it couldn't make up its mind to up shift or stay or downshift....jerky to say the least. I called the dealer and it was explained to me that the the computer/transmission had to relearn my driving habits/style....WTF is that. I drove it away from a dealer and got on the freeway and never had this now its got to learn my driving style.
This sounds a lot like how my car used to behave, but it didn't seem to 'learn my driving habits' from driving in automatic. It seemed to learn when I put it in manual mode (and drove aggressively). Now it's noticeably improved.

·
Registered
101 Posts
This sounds a lot like how my car used to behave, but it didn't seem to 'learn my driving habits' from driving in automatic. It seemed to learn when I put it in manual mode (and drove aggressively). Now it's noticeably improved.
I guess if I was still driving back and forth to work, It might learn ?? if I even believed that was remotely possible(service rep blow off). The point I was trying to make was GM (Dealer) was just doing what they were told, and now the car has a problem it did not have previously. Can I do anything about it, "Doubtful". Am I happy about it, No. Should I drive the 20 miles to the dealer I bought it from and complain(that the dealer I took it to(5 miles away)screwed it up), I'm sure that would be well received. I think something new is in my future, and sorry to say, I don't think it will be a GM product.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I notice on my 2015 malibu really only if i stop quickly i can feel the car harshly downshift. Upshifting is amazing i can't tell when its shifting.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks for all the responses. As far I can tell, this is just a crappy transmission. My dealer also told me it has to "learn" my driving habits. I'm sorry, this is BS.

·
Administrator
17,294 Posts
It's not BS, it's how transmissions are these days. But, if it learns how you drive and still shifts poorly then there is likely something that needs to be done. When they tell you it needs to learn when it already has, then that is BS and they're the ones that need some learnin'!

Cue the Louisville Slugger detail . . . ;)

·
Registered
4 Posts
What if two different people drive the car? Anyway, it's a crappy transmission. Unbelievably unresponsivE, I don't care how smart it is.

·
Administrator
17,294 Posts
I tend to agree with you about the programming.

But with some tweaking I'm sure mine will perk up and make me a happier camper.

·
Registered
101 Posts
It's not BS, it's how transmissions are these days. But, if it learns how you drive and still shifts poorly then there is likely something that needs to be done. When they tell you it needs to learn when it already has, then that is BS and they're the ones that need some learnin'!

Cue the Louisville Slugger detail . . . ;)
Yesterday I had to drive in a little "Heavy" traffic, Not for long thankfully but long enough to realize that the upshift, downshift is completely different and noticeably erratic. I really try to stay off the pedal and just roll along, but you cant always do that, and that little bit of accell then decell that noticeable jerk in the downshift right after the upshift cannot be good on the internals. That's what is so unsettling about this. The car never did this before the trip to the "Dealer" and now its feels like how long before the trip to the "Transmission" Shop.

·
Administrator
17,294 Posts
Thread closed to further comments . . .

21 - 30 of 30 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.