Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone get 9.5in wide wheels to fit without rolling the fenders? If so, what was your offset? Tire specs too!

·
Registered
108 Posts
my only question to this would be why would you want or need 9.5 inch wide wheels on a Malibu? There is really no advantage to having wheels that wide on one of these cars in fact I see no advantage at all unless for some reason you are auto crossing a Malibu. Wider tires are more expensive and since they are bigger and heavier actually decrease your fuel mileage and your car will actually be a little slower due to the increased rolling resistance of those wide wheels. Im currently running 10.5 inch wide wheels on my Camaro but actually ran my best times on the stock 9 inch wide wheels due to the difference in weight between the two.

·
Registered
216 Posts
I can't speak for anyone that may already be running wheels that wide, but I second what Jayss01 said. I can speak from experience on wheel and tire weight. When got new wheels and tires on my 2010 I saw about .5 mpg drop. This may not sound like much but all I did is I went from an 18x7 to an 18x7.5 wheel and from a 225/50 tire to a 245/45 tire. The weight difference alone caused me to lose half a mpg.

Not only will you see a drop in performance it will wear on your car faster. If you add enough weight on the front wheels the transmission can strain a bit to get the car moving. And it's also a well known fact that wider wheels can wear out the wheel bearings faster. And the the front bearings on the Malibu are a bit on the suspect side to begin with.

Honestly I wouldn't recommend anything wider than 8" for the wheels on these cars. But that's my opinion and you can do whatever you like, it's your car after all.

Reactions: cp-the-nerd

·
Super Moderator
2017 SS Sedan 6.2L
4,968 Posts
The rears on my SS are 9.5" to put down 6.2L V8 power. You'll suck the life right out of a 4-cylinder Malibu with wheels/tires that big.

Why not get some nice looking (and light weight) 17 or 18 inch wheels that are 8 inches wide? You can put 235 width tires on it and get a big handling improvement without looking ridiculous.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I can't remember what the C5 wheels were, but i think 18x9.5 or 17x9.5 can't remember... and they were plenty fat for my trans am's multi purposed tires. Some track time and some auto crossing. I kept the fronts stock width 16x8.

If you're going for the cool factor all looks no go, not sure what the biggest wheel you could fit, but i couldn't imagine any bigger than 8/8.5 tops would work. I think my stock 18 inch wheels are (not 7 as originally thought) but 8in and with 235's doesn't leave much room to spare...

Reactions: cp-the-nerd

·
Super Moderator
2017 SS Sedan 6.2L
4,968 Posts
Stock 18 inch wheels on the 2008-12 Malibu were 8 inches wide, that's why I suggested that size.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Makes sense. Couldn't remember exact width off the top of my head, knew it was one or the other 7 or 8... But still wouldn't change much, 8/8.5 would be widest i'd go as well.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Stock 18 inch wheels on the 2008-12 Malibu were 8 inches wide, that's why I suggested that size.
Sorry to contradict you CP, but the stock 18s off my 2010 LTZ were 7" wide, not 8".

·
Registered
123 Posts
Sorry to contradict you CP, but the stock 18s off my 2010 LTZ were 7" wide, not 8".
I'll settle the debate tonight.... I'll get a tape measure out and measure mine when i'm at home.

·
Super Moderator
2017 SS Sedan 6.2L
4,968 Posts
I was just going off tirerack.com in the wheel section, it has the right wheel sizes for my car.

·
Super Moderator
2017 SS Sedan 6.2L
4,968 Posts
I take that back, it had my wheel size wrong. My rears are 9 inches wide.

·
Registered
216 Posts
I'll settle the debate tonight.... I'll get a tape measure out and measure mine when i'm at home.
I can settle the debate right now, i'm at home and my OEM wheels are in my garage. I went out and flipped one over and on the inside of the spokes it's stamped what size the wheels is.

·
Super Moderator
2017 SS Sedan 6.2L
4,968 Posts
Well now 9.5" wheels sound even more crazy! Thanks for following up, @Plague.

Reactions: DrivenDaily

·
Registered
216 Posts
I can understand where tirerack.com got the 18x8 wheel size though. If you take a tape measure and measure from the outside of the bead lip on either side it does measure 8". But the tire bead sits on the inside of that not the outside, i'm sure that was a simple rookie mistake by someone.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
my only question to this would be why would you want or need 9.5 inch wide wheels on a Malibu?
Not only will you see a drop in performance it will wear on your car faster. If you add enough weight on the front wheels the transmission can strain a bit to get the car moving. And it's also a well known fact that wider wheels can wear out the wheel bearings faster. And the the front bearings on the Malibu are a bit on the suspect side to begin with.
It's for looks, wider wheels look better from the rear. I may do 8.5 or 9 instead because I have not measured offset to see if they even fit. I don't really care about performance because it's a slow car. With added weight of a 2" wider wheel (that is performance oriented) you are most likely not going to add enough weight for wheel bearings to be affected. i am riding 17" steel wheels and i bet 17x7 steel wheels weigh more than 18x9 aluminum wheels.

·
Registered
108 Posts
It's for looks, wider wheels look better from the rear. I may do 8.5 or 9 instead because I have not measured offset to see if they even fit. I don't really care about performance because it's a slow car. With added weight of a 2" wider wheel (that is performance oriented) you are most likely not going to add enough weight for wheel bearings to be affected. i am riding 17" steel wheels and i bet 17x7 steel wheels weigh more than 18x9 aluminum wheels.
so you want your fwd car to have wider wheels so it will look better from the rear? While I do agree wider wheels do look better having wide wheels on the back of a fwd car just seems like a waste but like you said it would only be for looks. At the end of the day it's your car so do what you want however before you take this plunge look into the price difference of tires for wheels that are wide and it may sway your opinion a little. I personally am in need of a new set of tires for my 10.5 inch wide wheels on the back of my Camaro and am actually looking into just throwing my stock 9 inch wide wheels back on all around because its cheaper for me to buy four 275/40/17 tires then it is to just buy two 295/35/18 or 305/35/18 tires.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
so you want your fwd car to have wider wheels so it will look better from the rear? While I do agree wider wheels do look better having wide wheels on the back of a fwd car just seems like a waste but like you said it would only be for looks. At the end of the day it's your car so do what you want however before you take this plunge look into the price difference of tires for wheels that are wide and it may sway your opinion a little. I personally am in need of a new set of tires for my 10.5 inch wide wheels on the back of my Camaro and am actually looking into just throwing my stock 9 inch wide wheels back on all around because its cheaper for me to buy four 275/40/17 tires then it is to just buy two 295/35/18 or 305/35/18 tires.
Trust me I know. My camaro SS 1LE tires are 1800 dollars. Not looking forward to buying new tires for that next summer. That’s why I’m most likely going to go with 8.5” wheels the more I think of it. It’s either 19x9.5 or 18x8.5. 19” tires are usually a big jump from 18” tires.

·
Super Moderator
2017 SS Sedan 6.2L
4,968 Posts
You own a Camaro SS 1LE? You have great taste in weekend cars, but everything you just said makes it so much more confusing that you would want massive steam roller wheels/tires on your commuter Malibu.

If we absolutely cannot convince you to go any smaller, do yourself a big favor and stick with 18" x 8.5" at most. I think you're going to have trouble finding a set wider than 7.5" that doesn't rub when you make tight turns.

Reactions: Jayss01

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
You own a Camaro SS 1LE? You have great taste in weekend cars, but everything you just said makes it so much more confusing that you would want massive steam roller wheels/tires on your commuter Malibu.

If we absolutely cannot convince you to go any smaller, do yourself a big favor and stick with 18" x 8.5" at most. I think you're going to have trouble finding a set wider than 7.5" that doesn't rub when you make tight turns.
Yea I think 8.5 is the smarter choice. I’ll be measuring to make sure I don’t have too much rubbing, but might have to cut the fender liner a bit hehe. I just gotta find a set of wheels with a low offset so I’m not sticking too far towards the strut/inner liner.

·
Registered
108 Posts

I was thinking the exact same thing...why would you want wide wheels on a commuter when you have a 1le Camaro ss. Typically people that want to throw wide wheels on a commuter car don't have a fun car they can mess around with

1 - 20 of 25 Posts