Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Super Moderator
2016 Malibu 1LT 1.5T/6-speed 6T40
4,596 Posts
From what I see it is pretty much the same. The difference will be accessing the fill plug. Can you see it and reach it? The 9-speed uses the same dexron-vi fluid so check for that license on the product you use.

Here is a video that shows the basics - different vehicle but similar unit. Looks like it was overfilled at some point as there is blow out all around the vent cap. Don't do that, just measure what comes out and replace the same volume. There is no "add an extra quart for more speed" here.

· Super Moderator
2016 Malibu 1LT 1.5T/6-speed 6T40
4,596 Posts
To my knowledge yes, there is a check plug on the driver side behind the wheel on the 9T50. TFT still has to be 85–95°C (185–203°F) with the vehicle level. Fluid should be dripping, not pouring or nothing coming out. If it shifts fine don't bother checking.

· Registered
34 Posts
Thanks, pretty much like my Lincoln Navigator. I would prefer to know for sure the level, but will start with measuring and replacing with same this spring. I have a 2017 Premier with 47,700 miles.

· Premium Member
3,445 Posts
I've done a few no dipstick GM transmissions fluid changes in the family fleet. Unless it's got a large leak, not just a damp spot seepage, I just drain and measure and refill with the same amount. I will put a couple extra ounces in but no more than that.
Level plug checking is a bear without a lift. Working with it hot and getting the vehicle level without a lift is not worth the aggravation.

· Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
From what I see it is pretty much the same. The difference will be accessing the fill plug. Can you see it and reach it? The 9-speed uses the same dexron-vi fluid so check for that license on the product you use.

Here is a video that shows the basics - different vehicle but similar unit. Looks like it was overfilled at some point as there is blow out all around the vent cap. Don't do that, just measure what comes out and replace the same volume. There is no "add an extra quart for more speed" here.
Thank you this is exactly what I needed to know.

· Registered
34 Posts
I've done a few no dipstick GM transmissions fluid changes in the family fleet. Unless it's got a large leak, not just a damp spot seepage, I just drain and measure and refill with the same amount. I will put a couple extra ounces in but no more than that.
Level plug checking is a bear without a lift. Working with it hot and getting the vehicle level without a lift is not worth the aggravation.
Noted, just have to see how I feel that day. I did all that including temp and leveling on the Navigator, but you're right it is alot more trouble.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts