Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi everyone,

I am experiencing the same issue again. It doesn't accelerate when in uphill. It kicks really hard. This time there is no check engine light. They replaced valve body and control solenoid body last year. It doesn't change gears smoothly. It's like there is a lag to it. I am sure something is breaking again.

My post from last year

·
Registered
66 Posts
Re: Transmission Issue again

Hi everyone,

I am experiencing the same issue again. It doesn't accelerate when in uphill. It kicks really hard. This time there is no check engine light. They replaced valve body and control solenoid body last year. It doesn't change gears smoothly. It's like there is a lag to it. I am sure something is breaking again.

My post from last year
When was your Bu built? I know you have a 2017 Premier but I was wondering maybe 1st batch of 2017s?

Also, at what mileage did this happen again? Just making a precaution since I have a 2017 Premier built May 2017.

·
Registered
496 Posts

Hi everyone,

My post from last year
Oh fabulous. I remember your issues from last time vividly and it's always in the back of my mind when I feel even the slightest rough shift in my car (infrequently but it occasionally does happen).

Is it happening only uphill? As I remember last time you had it happen only when taking off from a start, it wasn't during uphill climbs. Slipping transmission? I know this is a sickening development.

This time write a letter to GM about it as this is the SECOND time the tranny is acting up. Fuss, I sure did with the trials I'm having with my HVAC auto control that was never right from day one. I got GM to offer an additional 6 yr. warranty on the *entire* HVAC system starting last month, so basically 8 yrs. from purchase on the system (including compressor/evaporator/condenser and that's not even remotely what I had problems with). I've had GM do this before with items that break but aren't resolved properly. Hopefully they'll do the same for you.

Keep us posted, I for one will be following VERY closely as to what happens.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Oh fabulous. I remember your issues from last time vividly and it's always in the back of my mind when I feel even the slightest rough shift in my car (infrequently but it occasionally does happen).

Is it happening only uphill? As I remember last time you had it happen only when taking off from a start, it wasn't during uphill climbs. Slipping transmission? I know this is a sickening development.

This time write a letter to GM about it as this is the SECOND time the tranny is acting up. Fuss, I sure did with the trials I'm having with my HVAC auto control that was never right from day one. I got GM to offer an additional 6 yr. warranty on the *entire* HVAC system starting last month, so basically 8 yrs. from purchase on the system (including compressor/evaporator/condenser and that's not even remotely what I had problems with). I've had GM do this before with items that break but aren't resolved properly. Hopefully they'll do the same for you.

Keep us posted, I for one will be following VERY closely as to what happens.
Thanks. Check engine light came on and it wouldn't change to 3rd gear. It's in dealer now. They gave me a loaner. I also got the notification from OnStar

An issue with the Engine and Transmission System in your 2017 Chevrolet Malibu has been detected. Please service your vehicle within 7 days.

·
Registered
496 Posts

So it did fail hard finally. That's good, it makes diagnosis easier. With my HVAC they never could get a hard fail making diagnosis difficult. GM's Tech Assistance Center wasn't of much help either as they've never seen this before (temp blend roor actuators toggling like crazy after the heater ran for a while plus the HVAC not remembering the fan settings if turned OFF and the car was cut off for a few hours).

Will be curious if it is the same thing again. Out of curiosity did you get an On-Star warning last time? And how did you get it, in the center display or an email?

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

So it did fail hard finally. That's good, it makes diagnosis easier. With my HVAC they never could get a hard fail making diagnosis difficult. GM's Tech Assistance Center wasn't of much help either as they've never seen this before (temp blend roor actuators toggling like crazy after the heater ran for a while plus the HVAC not remembering the fan settings if turned OFF and the car was cut off for a few hours).

Will be curious if it is the same thing again. Out of curiosity did you get an On-Star warning last time? And how did you get it, in the center display or an email?
Correct. I got it via email. About 15 minutes after check engine light came on.

It looks like this

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
15 Posts
My 9speed had some solenoid kit and valve body replaced also. When mine failed the 2nd time I took it in and they did a software update. Apparently the transmission has two "overdrive" gears and gets hot and overheats some solenoid. It disables the larger until it cools back down. They did this months ago and no problem since.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am having the same issue with my 2018 Malibu. It will not accelerate and feels as if your starting from 3rd gear and it’s becoming dangerous when you are driving on a busy highway. My buddy has one too and it’s doing the same thing. Any suggestions

·
Elite Moderator
2016 Malibu 1LT 1.5T
2,385 Posts
I am having the same issue with my 2018 Malibu. It will not accelerate and feels as if your starting from 3rd gear and it’s becoming dangerous when you are driving on a busy highway. My buddy has one too and it’s doing the same thing. Any suggestions
Before this thread goes all me-too and gets confusing, can you clarify what engine or trim you have? The issue amir_gh22 has had or may have is very specific to the 9-speed. There is another ball of ewww on the 2018 LS/LT 1.5T/6-speed if you happen to have one of those with a different fix. I can help direct you on that if that is the case or... if you also have a 2018 Premier I'll shut the heck up!

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My 9speed had some solenoid kit and valve body replaced also. When mine failed the 2nd time I took it in and they did a software update. Apparently the transmission has two "overdrive" gears and gets hot and overheats some solenoid. It disables the larger until it cools back down. They did this months ago and no problem since.
Interesting. Thanks so much. I wonder if they replace them again. hahahaha

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Before this thread goes all me-too and gets confusing, can you clarify what engine or trim you have? The issue amir_gh22 has had or may have is very specific to the 9-speed. There is another ball of ewww on the 2018 LS/LT 1.5T/6-speed if you happen to have one of those with a different fix. I can help direct you on that if that is the case or... if you also have a 2018 Premier I'll shut the heck up!
2.0 has been very unreliable. I have had so much problems with this car. My friends and colleagues laugh at me every time they see me with a loaner car. :grin::grin:
They drive older cars without problems. This car suppose to be reliable. I had so much issues with this car from key fob error, water leak, gas pedal issue, front parking sensor issue, transmission issues, and that annoying beeping sound. Cant wait to return this car next June. I wish I could return it without penalty. The reason I got Malibu because it drives so much better than Hondas and Toyotas . The breaks are amazing. Handling is great, but whats the point if they break so often! I wonder if I write a letter to GM they take the car back and let me out of it.

·
Registered
496 Posts
2.0 has been very unreliable. I have had so much problems with this car. My friends and colleagues laugh at me every time they see me with a loaner car. :grin::grin:
They drive older cars without problems. This car suppose to be reliable. I had so much issues with this car from key fob error, water leak, gas pedal issue, front parking sensor issue, transmission issues, and that annoying beeping sound. Cant wait to return this car next June. I wish I could return it without penalty. The reason I got Malibu because it drives so much better than Hondas and Toyotas . The breaks are amazing. Handling is great, but whats the point if they break so often! I wonder if I write a letter to GM they take the car back and let me out of it.
It's a leased car I assume?

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
They did the same thing on mine.

·
Registered
496 Posts
A software update only? That's good, better than having the transmission torn apart again. I sure hope it fixes it this time.

I hopefully got a lime; at about 15k on the odometer the only issues with mine are the strange HVAC issues I described earlier and a minor squeak when pressing or releasing the brake pedal (releasing being worse). So far I've escaped the big issues many have quantified before.

And if anyone's curious it was built late Feb. 2017.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So this software update changed transmission behavior. It's not smooth like it used to be. I drive my car every day. I can notice the difference. I don't like the way it shifts now. There is like a pause when changing shifts. Down shifts are rough.

·
Registered
496 Posts
How many miles since the software update? In the past powertrain controllers required a rather long (say 200-500 miles) learning time until it settles out. I wonder if that's why yours is acting gruffly for now.

Not the same thing but when you disconnected the battery in my old Mazda 3 (like doing a battery swap) and then reconnected it the damned thing idled like s**t until it was driven for a couple of hundred miles. There were a lot of interwebs bits wasted on this issue on owner forums and even a TSB about it from Mazda eventually. the only solution was to drive it until it settled out, usually 200 miles. Hopefully it's the same thing going on.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
How many miles since the software update? In the past powertrain controllers required a rather long (say 200-500 miles) learning time until it settles out. I wonder if that's why yours is acting gruffly for now.

Not the same thing but when you disconnected the battery in my old Mazda 3 (like doing a battery swap) and then reconnected it the damned thing idled like s**t until it was driven for a couple of hundred miles. There were a lot of interwebs bits wasted on this issue on owner forums and even a TSB about it from Mazda eventually. the only solution was to drive it until it settled out, usually 200 miles. Hopefully it's the same thing going on.
Interesting. Its definitely not 500 miles since the software update.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Adaptive software control has been used in powertrain control for decades. The downside is the car will need some miles on it to adapt.

Then there's this tidbit:

https://www.motortrend.com/news/2017-chevrolet-malibu-2-0t-quick-spin-experiencing-chevys-nine-speed-automatic/

Jump to the section about "cloud calibration". If I read that section correctly, GM is using measurements made at the transmission's assembly facility for each transmission's unique set of solenoids to calibrate the tranny in each car at final assembly, so when it's first driven shifting is ideal. That's a new as far as I know.

Since you had a repair done (weren't some solenoids replaced along with the valve body?), maybe the software is 'stock' and needs time to adapt to the unique set of solenoids in your particular transmission. That is, you didn't get a 'custom' software update, the tranny has to do that itself over some learning period. That's my partially educated guess at the moment.

If that's not the case then I don't know what to say. If in a few hundred miles it's still gruff shifting I'd let the service mgr. know and GM too, raise some stink especially at GM.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts