Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 06 Chevy Malibu LT. So while I was driving my a/c starting blaring full blast and then cutting off. I turned the vehicle off and back on and the a/c wouldn’t turn on at all then while driving it starting blasting full blast again and I couldn’t get it to stop. I kept driving since I was on the highway and the wires connected to the a/c speed knob started smoking and then the a/c cut out and isn’t working now. On the back of the a/c speed knob (levels 1,2,3,4) it’s melted and the wires are brown. Since this has happened my fans to keep my car cool aren’t working anymore. Can anybody help on where I should start or what to do to fix this issue? The car is beginning to overheat and I’d like to fix this issue before it damages my car. Thanks

·
Administrator
2011 Malibu LTZ 3.6L V6 Red Jewel Tintcoat
20,678 Posts
Get the AC pressures checked.

See if the t-stat is working or not.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
I would also make sure correct fuses are installed. ...wireing shouldnt be smoking

Do you have an aftermarket stereo installed? Or anything else that may have messed up the wireing?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I would also make sure correct fuses are installed. ...wireing shouldnt be smoking

Do you have an aftermarket stereo installed? Or anything else that may have messed up the wireing?
Yes so I have an aftermarket stereo/touch screen installed. Somebody tried to steal it by yanking it out. Except it’s to big and wouldn’t fit coming out. So all the wiring is messed up. The back of the knob for the a/c temperature control that controls the speeds is melted on the backside of it. I can’t disconnect it either it won’t come off. So the air conditioning doesn’t work and now the cooling fans have stopped working. The radiator fan for sure doesn’t come on anymore. I disconnected the whole temperature control unit because something fried for sure. I’m just not sure where to start or what to do. I’m willing to buy pieces and fix it myself before sending it to a mechanic. I’d rather just sell it if it comes to that. Any ideas?

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
You have alot ofwork ahead of youy? Did you report the issue to the police.....insurance may cover it.....sound like you mayyyyy have to get new hvac conteols.....wireing associated.....possible stereo

just guesses obviously. ...but sounds like you got some serious issues to deal with

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.