Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Administrator
2011 Malibu LTZ 3.6L V6 Red Jewel Tintcoat
20,858 Posts
It needs repaired. It's possible that it backed out and then somehow has become cross-threaded.

Probably best to have the work done on a bench, which means recovering all of the refrigerant and breaking the system seals. That way, the compressor can be removed from the car to see if it can be fixed or if it needs replaced.

·
Premium Member
3,348 Posts
That bolt screws into the compressor main shaft. It also means clutch has been spinning on the shaft wearing it.
Only solid repair is to replace the compressor, that's what every shop and myself would do.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wish it were that easy in small town BC; seems more and more shops are working outside their comfort zone and the customer is paying for it. The problem started in December with a noisy belt/pulley/?. I stopped in at ##### Mechanical to have a look. They've done some maintenance on my F150 so I trusted them. Diagnosis Serpentine belt 1/2 hr est. The 1/2 hr belt replacement took 2hrs as mechanic was struggling with the tensioner pulley(did not have proper tool/knowledge as hybrid model uses very strong spring). When finished the squealing was much worse and I was told the Alternator (3 phase generator) was shot (+$2k est) I questioned possible a pulley noise & they said they checked all pulleys and they were OK. They listened again and said they were sure it was the alternator. I chose not to do the repair at the time and found the part at Rock Auto much much cheaper than Canadian suppliers. After a couple of days the noise stopped. (Obviously not the alternator) Seemed OK until June when the hot weather warranted AC which now didn't blow cool. I took the car to another shop as we no longer trusted shop #1. Shop#2 said its a compressor issue , fans were not coming on & we should contact the previous shop or seek a 2nd opinion. They skirted saying what they actually found so I researched Auto AC and took a look myself. I couldn't see how the clutch bolt could unscrew itself so I think shop#1 unscrewed it in order to aid one of his tensioner compression contraptions: he forgot to screw it back in or bent it and could not screw it in. I did contact shop #1 about possibly damaging the clutch but they chose not to respond to either me or the BBB. Thanks for your input; I guess i'll get a compressor from RA and on to shop #3 for an install.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks to both of you; really appreciate your expertise. Wish Repairman54's shop was closer and I'd definitely give him the business. "Clutch spinning on shaft" makes complete sense . Mystery though is how did the bolt unscrew itself? FYI the vehicle is a 09 Chev Malibu Hybrid. Wish me luck with Shop #3 lol

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.