Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a malibu 2016 LT 1.5,

When I turn my ac on the compressor engages, but my fan does not turn on, sometimes the fan does turn on and the ac works fine. The does not over heats at all.
I was thinking maybe the ac pressure switch signal wire has a bad connection, it looks like the previous owner replace the pressure switch connector.

What do you guys think? What should I check next.
Hand Automotive tire Finger Electrical wiring Cable

·
Premium Member
3,117 Posts
Pressure switch would not affect blower, only the compressor.
Blower wiring connections, speed resistor if manual controls, need to be checked for bad connections. Giving the blower motor a smack when it's not starting up is a quick check of it as the motor brushes in it wear and make erratic contact and operation.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Pressure switch would not affect blower, only the compressor.
Blower wiring connections, speed resistor if manual controls, need to be checked for bad connections. Giving the blower motor a smack when it's not starting up is a quick check of it as the motor brushes in it wear and make erratic contact and operation.
I was talking about cooling fan not cooming on when I turn on my ac, the weird part is that the compressor engages with out the cooling fan comming on,

·
Premium Member
2,333 Posts
The ac system is more complex than the old days, evaporator temp sensor? Variable stroke compressor with different power valves? Fan and blower control can be electronic [pulse width modulated]. A scanner capable of looking at multiple signals is needed or you can take your best shot.

Start with the basics, check that wiring in the photos.
Could simply be low on refrigerant.
Has someone put the wrong refrigerant in the system?
Wrong pressure switch?

Sometimes a professional diagnosis is the cheapest way to go.

·
Super Moderator
2016 Malibu 1LT 1.5T/6-speed 6T40
4,105 Posts
In the pressure sensor green is signal, black is ground, brown is 5V reference. The blue I see there is probably from the ambient sensor. I don't know what all that tape is. Guessing the previous owner was working on the same problem and swapped I a non-OE sensor? No idea if this ties to your problem or not. I'd lean toward professional diagnosis.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts