Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm lovin' the 2009 Bu, but a couple more service issues have come up.

1. I get a pretty bad squeak in the drivers seat now. Every time I shift weight due to acceleration or whatever, there is a noticable squeak coming from the driver's seat. Very annoying and I need to take it in. Anyone else have this problem?

2. You know where the front body panel connects with the side panel at the hood line? Basically, follow your hood line towards the front, near the headlight, and you see where two body panels join. On my 'Bu, the fit is not very precise. Most people wouldn't notice, but I do. Took it to the dealer, and they had a body shop slightly adjust it, but it's still not what I'd call very good. I guess there's not much you can do on imprecise body panel fits. Does anyone else have this problem?

Thanks!

·
Registered
66 Posts
No squeaks yet on mine and that's a good thing as squeaks drive me nuts. You might check the plastic trim piece along the left side of the lower seat cushion. It looks like it could have the potential to rub against the cushion and squeak. Internal springs could also.

Regarding the front bumper cover, all the interface joints on mine are spot on to the fender and against the hood. You might compare to other cars on the lot next time you visit the dealer. If they look good, tell 'em you want the same.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Yeah I posted about this before as well.. My Drivers Seat squeaks (sounds like a spring settling) and both front and rear have body panel alignment issues.. The front bumper to fender is causing the paint to chip on mine

·
Premium Member
714 Posts
I have slight hood misalignment too. It's nothing uncommon, I had things like that on my honda too.

No squeak. Did you try isolating it by rocking a seat? It may need some lube perhaps.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks all. SOunds like most people have small body panel alignment issues. Has anyone tried to do something about it? Like I said, I took mine to the dealer and they sent it to a body shop and it is *slightly* better. But I'm not sure if I should do anything more or just live with it. I guess nothing is perfect.

As for the squeak, I cannot tell if it is coming from the seatback or the seat cushion. Noices can be deceptive to try to track down. I think I'll take that to the dealer.

Thanks all.

·
Premium Member
714 Posts
When it comes to seat squeaks I would recommend trying to locate it yourself. Usually it's a particular motion that causes it and if you figure out how to replicate it on a standing car you can have someone do that motion, listen to where it comes from and squirt some silicon spray on suspect parts of the seat frame.

In my experience taking it to the dealer can be more aggravating and take a lot more time than the DIY approach. They don't know how to replicate it as well as you do, and they will not really try. It's much easier to write "Could not replicate" into the work order.

·
CMF Honorary Member
4,326 Posts
Check the seatbelts. Mine was squeaking and it was the seatbelt rubbing against the seat next to the console.

·
Premium Member
714 Posts
Check the seatbelts. Mine was squeaking and it was the seatbelt rubbing against the seat next to the console.
Good point. The belt comes into this rubbery sleeve that can be pretty squeaky against the seat. Mine was doing that all the time.

·
Premium Member
504 Posts
I have a body panel fit issue where the rear bumper on the driver side "ducks" in a small amount where it meets the rear drivers side quarter panel. No impact damage so it probably shipped that way.

I'd also be curious to know if anyone has gotten something like this fixed. I have mentally already been to the dealer for this and they replied "oh you must have had a cart hit your car or something, sorry thats not covered." I'd be curious if i should visit them in person instead based on others experiences.

·
Premium Member
714 Posts
I have a body panel fit issue where the rear bumper on the driver side "ducks" in a small amount where it meets the rear drivers side quarter panel. No impact damage so it probably shipped that way.

I'd also be curious to know if anyone has gotten something like this fixed. I have mentally already been to the dealer for this and they replied "oh you must have had a cart hit your car or something, sorry thats not covered." I'd be curious if i should visit them in person instead based on others experiences.
I have not had this particular experience, but I think they should fix it. Or if they refuse than go to another dealer. I know that my dealer would have looked into it for sure.

Technically speaking, the bumper is attached by 2 screws on the sides. The location is somewhere close to the wheel well. The rest is fairly loose.
Is far as I remember those screws are self tapping, so you can imagine that this is not very precise. If the defect is somewhere there that they can just loosen and re-tighten that screw.
Btw this screw is tricky to get to. It's at an angle and there's not much room for hands/tools. Other than that the bumper is easy to drop.

·
Registered
472 Posts
The seat squeaking is probably caused by the inside of the seat rubbing against the center console. The next time you hear the squeaking shove your hand down between the seat cushion and the console and press the seat cushion away from the console. I know that stops the squeaking on my car. By the way both seats will squeak when somebody sits in them. I haven't done it yet but I suspect the way to stop the squeaking is to take a cloth soaked with ArmorAll and rub it between the cushion and console so the point where the vinyl seat side rubs against the console is lubricated.

Bill

·
CMF Honorary Member
4,326 Posts
The seat squeaking is probably caused by the inside of the seat rubbing against the center console. The next time you hear the squeaking shove your hand down between the seat cushion and the console and press the seat cushion away from the console. I know that stops the squeaking on my car. By the way both seats will squeak when somebody sits in them. I haven't done it yet but I suspect the way to stop the squeaking is to take a cloth soaked with ArmorAll and rub it between the cushion and console so the point where the vinyl seat side rubs against the console is lubricated.

Bill
As I said before, it is the seatbelts. The plastic part that you click into rubs on the seat and squeaks. I added small pieces of thin rubber on them to stop it. Worked like a charm.

·
Administrator
2011 Malibu LTZ 3.6L V6 Red Jewel Tintcoat
18,191 Posts
OUCH! Was it occupied when hit? Anyone hurt in either vehicle?

·
Lifetime Premium Member
1,400 Posts
OUCH! Was it occupied when hit? Anyone hurt in either vehicle?
Luckily we were not in the car. My daughters booster seat which was on the drivers side ended up in the middle of the car facing the passengers side, my sons booster which was on the passengers side was twisted towards the passenger door. The other driver was a little shaken but was not hurt.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just bought my 2011 black chevy malibu LTZ about 2 months ago and not until I'd say 3 weeks ago I noticed a squeak in my in driver seat. I think I have been able to isolate the squeak but me not being a car person and afraid of messing it up permanently have tried to fix it. I think the squeak is, (bear with me here) is in the backrest of my seat, if I move my back forwards and backwards hitting the back rest it squeaks. Any opinions help.
Thanks

·
ASE Certified Technician
1,448 Posts
Just bought my 2011 black chevy malibu LTZ about 2 months ago and not until I'd say 3 weeks ago I noticed a squeak in my in driver seat. I think I have been able to isolate the squeak but me not being a car person and afraid of messing it up permanently have tried to fix it. I think the squeak is, (bear with me here) is in the backrest of my seat, if I move my back forwards and backwards hitting the back rest it squeaks. Any opinions help.
Thanks
Has your bumper-to-bumper warranty expired?

·
Premium Member
2,815 Posts
bfolsom14, greenman has hit the nail on the head per say when he asks about the Bumper to Bumper limited warranty. If you are still within the 3 years or 36,000 miles, this should be something covered, but you will have to have the dealership diagnose things.

Michelle, Chevrolet Customer Service

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.