Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few weeks ago, I wondered why my tachometer did not have a red-line or section of the RPMs that was red. Today I looked in the gallery and saw someone's tach, and it did have the red-line on it. I got curious, and began looking around, and it ends up that only the 6-spd transmissions have this while the 4-spds do not. It kind of makes me feel incompetent. How expensive would one think it would be to purchase a new face (assuming they are three faces, and not a single large one across the instrument panel)?

·
Registered
512 Posts
What was the redline for the 6-speeds?

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, I am not sure. The only references to the red-line is whenever there is a 6-spd paddle shifter, I have not found a single 4spd that has the red-line on it.

·
Premium Member
714 Posts
interesting discovery.

however, it shouldn't be significant, the tranny/rev limiter should keep you from damaging the engine.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Mine also doesn't have a redline segmented (3.6 6sp). I don't get it either as I want to upshift just before that so I *don't* bounce off the rev limiter. Not that I'm racing or anything in this car - too nice for that. I found mine is around 6500 watching it wind out in Drive the other day so I'll stick with that but a shift light might be in order...lol.

·
Premium Member
714 Posts
I am a bit confused which ones have the red. Mine is a 08 2LT with performance package (V6 + 6sp), canadian model. It has the red.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Okay...two questions:

1: Guys with the red-line...are they '09 models or are you guys driving Canadian models?

I've noticed that one mentioned he had an '09, and another mentioned having a Canadian model. That could be it...be it the Canadians get them and their southern buddies don't (sucks) or the '09s get them (still...sucks).

·
Registered
795 Posts
I need to look, but I'm 95% sure the redline is marked at 6900 RPM.
08 3.6, 6spd, Iowa car.

My 08 Equinox Sport has the same trans and engine (with slightly higher HP)
and the redline is marked at 7100 RPM.

·
Premium Member
714 Posts
Okay...two questions:

1: Guys with the red-line...are they '09 models or are you guys driving Canadian models?

I've noticed that one mentioned he had an '09, and another mentioned having a Canadian model. That could be it...be it the Canadians get them and their southern buddies don't (sucks) or the '09s get them (still...sucks).
08 Canadian 2Lt with perf. package here. Red - yes.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Two above you have '08 LTZs and they have red-line. Maybe it is an LTZ option, then? Though that would make no sense, being that your 2LT has it.

·
Premium Member
714 Posts
Two above you have '08 LTZs and they have red-line. Maybe it is an LTZ option, then? Though that would make no sense, being that your 2LT has it.
I would guess for 08 it's either 2LT + Perf. or LTZ...

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.