Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About 2 weeks ago, I had to change the ac compressor on a 2009 with the 3.5L. Got it vacuumed and recharged and its worked great. Yesterday, I noticed it wasnt blowing cold air and it was worse today. Any ideas?

I checked the fuses and relays under the hood and they appear fine. Swapped out the relays with others and no change. Any other fuses/relays I could be missing? The temp control know does give me heat when I try that.

·
Administrator
2011 Malibu LTZ 3.6L V6 Red Jewel Tintcoat
20,462 Posts
Poor seals that held long enough to get out of the shop.

Bad compressor and/or clutch.

You would do well to return to the shop that did the work and ask them to inspect it for any issues.

·
Administrator
20,462 Posts
The Temp knob works by moving the blend door the same way you move the handle on a single-handle faucet to adjust the water temp. Your blend door is operated by an electric motor that gets its marching orders from the HVAC head unit. If one or the other were to fail, I'd guess the motor before the HU any day.

Time to break out a good scanner to see if there are any hidden codes.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'll hook it up to a scanner after work today. Will the motor turn up on a hidden code?

One thing I frealized that i forgot to mention is that if I change the knob to hot, the air gets hotter. Just no cold. Does that change your thoughts at all.

Also, the air when the knob is set on cold, it blows seems to blow warmer than the outside air.

·
Administrator
20,462 Posts
I'll hook it up to a scanner after work today. Will the motor turn up on a hidden code?

One thing I frealized that i forgot to mention is that if I change the knob to hot, the air gets hotter. Just no cold. Does that change your thoughts at all.

Also, the air when the knob is set on cold, it blows seems to blow warmer than the outside air.
Bad motor probably will turn up, but the scanner has to be able to test it.

If you can raise the temp by moving it to Hot, then the door works, at least somewhat anyhow.

I'd look into the system pressures and check that work, since that is what changed when all this happened.

·
Premium Member
2,292 Posts
If the ac system is working the lines leaving and coming to the compressor will be of greatly different temperature.
DANGER! CAUTION should be used any time you have your hands in and around a running engine.
With the engine running and ac on, feel with your hand the aluminum lines entering and leaving the compressor. The smaller outlet line may be hot enough to burn you and the other line very cold. The lines running into the cabin through the fire wall to the evap coil can also tell a story. One should be very cold and the other only cool.

vwrestler says the pressures are good. Are you using a manifold gauge set and measuring these pressures with the system running?

Should you suspect the problem is a blend door actuator, the actuator can be removed, the door manually placed in the cold position and see if that helps.

My money is on low refrigerant. A leak.

·
Premium Member
2,922 Posts
Charge could be low but not low enough to trigger the low pressure cutoff yet have poor cooling.
Did you refill the system by weight? Using auto store cans is not accurate. Correct way is to have big can of 134 on a scale and putting listed amount by weight back into system.
Fuses would affect compressor engagement and lack of any blower or vent direction operation.

Reactions: DrivenDaily

·
Administrator
20,462 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
About 2 weeks ago, I had to change the ac compressor on a 2009 with the 3.5L. Got it vacuumed and recharged and its worked great. Yesterday, I noticed it wasnt blowing cold air and it was worse today. Any ideas?

I checked the fuses and relays under the hood and they appear fine. Swapped out the relays with others and no change. Any other fuses/relays I could be missing? The temp control know does give me heat when I try that.
THIS problem may be Compressor make pressure weak

1 - 11 of 11 Posts