Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner
21 - 40 of 48 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2016 Malibu 1LT 1.5T/6-speed 6T40
4,359 Posts
Sorry, I was still looking at sheet 1. But in time I'll look through 2.

EDIT - I have looked through sheet 2 now. I see the incident around line 106-108. You shouldn't be at 1000 rpm going 1 mph. The car idles faster than 1 mph. That said, I see nothing else in that data that would be causing it. The 27000 psi fuel rail in the first sheet is more interesting than anything there. Setting all that aside, the rpms in those charts are all very low - they always stay between 800 and 3000. It is very soft driving. Have you always driven like that? How long ago was the head gasket issue and spark plug replacement?

·
Registered
122 Posts

EDIT - I have looked through sheet 2 now. I see the incident around line 106-108. You shouldn't be at 1000 rpm going 1 mph. The car idles faster than 1 mph. That said, I see nothing else in that data that would be causing it. The 27000 psi fuel rail in the first sheet is more interesting than anything there. Setting all that aside, the rpms in those charts are all very low - they always stay between 800 and 3000. It is very soft driving. Have you always driven like that? How long ago was the head gasket issue and spark plug replacement?
I doubt the fuel pump can produce 27000 psi (that would be an expensive pump). Likely a communication or other error or a code would be thrown.

You may want to 1) put in a tank of good premium fuel, 2) take 5 minutes and clean the MAF, 3) disconnect the battery for 5 minutes to reset it 4) see if the dealer will reflash/update the ECU (hopefully for free).

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Sorry, it’s been hell at work the past few days. I added a new spreadsheet with all the recordings in one place that is also organized better. Recording#7 might be the most useful as the instance occurred right before the end of the recording. I’ve also highlight a few different values that look out of whack to me.

All Data in New Spreadsheet

I also don’t think I drive very soft or hard. I like to speed so I’m usually go faster than everyone else when I can.

I can’t remember what the engined idled at before the head gasket was replaced, but I don’t believe it was as low as 800 as it is now. The head gasket was replaced back in January/February when the car had 78k miles on it. The car now has 88k miles on it. The spark plugs were replaced back in the first week of May with NGK Laser Iridium spark plugs (91970) pre-gapped at 0.028”.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
@campb292 took the car in to an independent shop and they were unable to replicate the issue. BUT, I just read another post on here talking about piston damage and a similar delay when accelerating. In all my trial and errors, premium fuel makes the issue happen less. My issue didn’t start until after the head gaskets were replaced. I wonder if there’s a compression issue with the engine. The work has a two year warranty. I will reach back out to GM customer service to have them schedule an appointment and try and get them to test the compression on the engine.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I’m having acceleration issues with my 2016 Chevy Malibu LS. I have the 1.5L turbocharged with the 6 cylinder transmission. I purchased this car new and it currently has 88k miles on it.

I am intermittently experiencing an issue when accelerating where I presson the accelerator the engine revs but does not accelerate until the turbo kicks in and shifts really hard. When this occurs it’s mostly after I’ve stopped at a light or sign. There have been occasions where it has happened going up hill. I’ve tried to pinpoint when it occurs but it is sporadic. I live in the Midwest and have noticed that it tends to occur more in the afternoons and evenings when I’m headed home from work. Unsure if it’s temperature related or not.

I’ve taken it to the dealership but with no codes and they were unable to replicate the issue. Although, they did update the ECM/TCM software to the latest version based on the bulletin I showed them. Even then I’m still having this issue.

We’ve also have replaced the throttle body sensor, accelerator pedal position sensor, air filter, and changed the transmission fluid (Dexron VI). Earlier this year the head gaskets on the engine we’re replaced along with the spark plugs before this issue occurred.

Any thoughts on what to test, check, or replace would be helpful.
I know this is an old thread but I'm having same problem. Mines has gotten worst with the hot and humid weather. In the morning it drives fine when starting from a cold state. In the evening when it's still in a cold state I can drive home. If I go any further than home and get the car hot. The problem is amplified. Also when the a/c is on! The dealership fed me some bs about carbon build up on my throttle body. And I only run premium fuel and do run fuel injector cleaner quite a bit. I'm wondering if there is some sort of carbon build up. I've replace coils packs, plugs, map, thermostat, air filter. Still having the same issue after a 800 bill later from the dealership. Hoping to find an answer possibly!

·
Super Moderator
4,359 Posts
I know this is an old thread but I'm having same problem. Mines has gotten worst with the hot and humid weather. In the morning it drives fine when starting from a cold state. In the evening when it's still in a cold state I can drive home. If I go any further than home and get the car hot. The problem is amplified. Also when the a/c is on! The dealership fed me some bs about carbon build up on my throttle body. And I only run premium fuel and do run fuel injector cleaner quite a bit. I'm wondering if there is some sort of carbon build up. I've replace coils packs, plugs, map, thermostat, air filter. Still having the same issue after a 800 bill later from the dealership. Hoping to find an answer possibly!
Do you also have a 2016 1.5T LS? How many miles? What did the dealer do for that $800?

·
Registered
122 Posts
Carbon build up on the throttle plate will affect idle and slightly off idle performance. It would likely get worse with the AC and higher temps.

If you have over 80K take 15 minutes and clean it, it's not that hard on the 1.5L.

How is the moderate to full throttle performance? Any codes?

·
Super Moderator
4,359 Posts
If you have over 80K take 15 minutes and clean it, it's not that hard on the 1.5L.
Which is why I asked what work the dealer has already done for the $800. I guess we don't want to wait for an answer on that so I'll butt out and leave things to uninformed guesses.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Which is why I asked what work the dealer has already done for the $800. I guess we don't want to wait for an answer on that so I'll butt out and leave things to uninformed guesses.
Cut me some slack, Jack! Chump don' want no help, chump don't GET da help! (Jive Lady in Airplane).

Since when do moderators start attacking people (uninformed guesses) that are trying to help? I thought this was a forum where we help each other.

My link started with post #25. Yes, I should have reviewed the old posts but didn't when Dave 46 said it was an old thread; my bad.

AND, it really does matter what the dealer did if he still has the problem. My point was the dealer's comment may have some validity.

·
Super Moderator
2017 SS Sedan 6.2L
5,607 Posts
If there's an issue with carbon, it's unlikely (but not impossible) that the throttle body is the location of the problem. The most detrimental carbon is in the intake ports and the back of the valves where it must be cleaned manually on engines with direct fuel injection.

Also, I don't see how problems related to carbon build-up would be affected by running temperature. Carbon simply blocks airflow.

·
Super Moderator
2017 SS Sedan 6.2L
5,607 Posts
I'd also like to add that if a dealership diagnosed the problem as throttle body carbon build-up (which would require visual confirmation) and did not simply clean it with a rag on the spot, they don't deserve your business. Throttle body cleaning service is such a racket, I hate that.

Reactions: 555hp

·
Administrator
2011 Malibu LTZ 3.6L V6 Red Jewel Tintcoat
20,832 Posts
Throttle body cleaning instructions:
  1. turn key to OFF position
  2. lift hood
  3. remove air intake tube
  4. spray a lint-free rag with appropriate cleaning solvent, but not to the point of soaking the rag
    1. do NOT spray liquid into the TB!
  5. wipe the TB plate and throat
  6. reassemble in reverse order
  7. start the car and drive

You might spend 20 minutes if you're taking your time or get a text while doing the job.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Carbon build up on the throttle plate will affect idle and slightly off idle performance. It would likely get worse with the AC and higher temps.

How is the moderate to full throttle performance? Any codes?
Do you also have a 2016 1.5T LS? How many miles? What did the dealer do for that $800?
Sorry for the late reply. Yes I do have an 2016 1.5T LT and I currently have 78k for mileage. So with the issue I presented the dealership they came back and told me the issue was a turbocharger bypass value (code: P2261) and that I had carbon build up on my throttle body. So I had them order the part ($461) and they replaced a solenoid, 2x valves, and tube and clean the throttle body ( code: P1101). With all parts and labor I was just shy of 800. So after driving it home a short distance. Ran smoothly until it got heated up once again and boom the issue came right back. It seems the hotter it is the worst it gets. Today just reversing out a parking spot I gave it a little gas and it bogged down to a point it wouldn't rev at all and the more I pressed the gas the more it bogged down to it finally stalled out! Called the service guy and they want me to bring it back in. I'll keep ya informed what I find out!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Throttle body cleaning instructions:
  1. turn key to OFF position
  2. lift hood
  3. remove air intake tube
  4. spray a lint-free rag with appropriate cleaning solvent, but not to the point of soaking the rag
    1. do NOT spray liquid into the TB!
  5. wipe the TB plate and throat
  6. reassemble in reverse order
  7. start the car and drive

You might spend 20 minutes if you're taking your time or get a text while doing the job.
Noted! Wish I would have had this knowledge ahead of time but thank you.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'd also like to add that if a dealership diagnosed the problem as throttle body carbon build-up (which would require visual confirmation) and did not simply clean it with a rag on the spot, they don't deserve your business. Throttle body cleaning service is such a racket, I hate that.
This last year has been quite a learning curve since owning this car. I appreciate everyone's input.

·
Registered
7 Posts
If there's an issue with carbon, it's unlikely (but not impossible) that the throttle body is the location of the problem. The most detrimental carbon is in the intake ports and the back of the valves where it must be cleaned manually on engines with direct fuel injection.

Also, I don't see how problems related to carbon build-up would be affected by running temperature. Carbon simply blocks airflow.
I'm still learning as I go but I'm going to try to have them do a service which they claim cleans the internals of carbon build up. Lil expensive but I'm flustered with this issue. And after reading what other tried for repairs, which I was having the same ideas of doing and them not having any good results. Has me trying to think outside a bit more. I'm not super smart on this subject but I'm learning and open for any ideas.

·
Super Moderator
4,359 Posts
Thanks for confirming the car specs and detailing everything the dealer did. The P1101 intake performance code is relatively common and is almost always the throttle body; glad they cleaned that. Occasionally it's the airbox or vent system. P2261 I don't believe I have seen before on the 1.5.

My concern would be how dirty the throttle body was and whether they took it out to clean or wiped from the top. If from the top it could still be dirty. Removing the throttle body is about a 5 minute job on the 1.5 so I assume that's the method they used. If it was really bad you could also have carbon on the valves that is playing a role. If the throttle body was really dirty that might be an indicator of excess carbon also on valves and other parts of the intake being dirty.

I hope they sort it out and do the right thing since they didn't nail it on the first try. What are they charging for the intake valve carbon cleaning?

·
Registered
122 Posts
The hydrocarbon buildup is usually on the throttle body, by the plate. There is a small gap (or bypass path) for idle airflow. The buildup alters the airflow (more turbulent and disrupts idle quality. Adding AC increases engine load (which should increase idle speed if everything is working right). Higher air temps reduce the mass of the air flow, making any blockage more critical.

·
Registered
122 Posts
P1101 suggests your MAF sensor has error. Was this cleaned or replaced? If not, take $5 and buy a can of cleaner. There are two torx screws that hold the sensor into the intake air tube (may not even need to disconnect the wiring).

How has your brake pedal been? Any change (hardness)? Also, do you have the factory air filter or aftermarket?

The P2261 suggests that you may had some oil in the bypass valve, which could also be caused by the PCV.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thanks for confirming the car specs and detailing everything the dealer did. The P1101 intake performance code is relatively common and is almost always the throttle body; glad they cleaned that. Occasionally it's the airbox or vent system. P2261 I don't believe I have seen before on the 1.5.

My concern would be how dirty the throttle body was and whether they took it out to clean or wiped from the top. If from the top it could still be dirty. Removing the throttle body is about a 5 minute job on the 1.5 so I assume that's the method they used. If it was really bad you could also have carbon on the valves that is playing a role. If the throttle body was really dirty that might be an indicator of excess carbon also on valves and other parts of the intake being dirty.

I hope they sort it out and do the right thing since they didn't nail it on the first try. What are they charging for the intake valve carbon cleaning?
I did ask them to take pictures of it before and after. And you can tell it had carbon on it, but it was not nearly as bad as I thought. I was expecting way worst, but I do have a question for everyone. Is our vehicle direct port? For the service I was wanting to do was to have the car hooked up to a machine and they force cleaning chemicals into your engine to clean the internals apparently. Since my effort of running premium gas and every few tanks I'll throw in gas fuel injection cleaner. Has anyone ever had this type of service done? Just looking for feed back! Thanks!

21 - 40 of 48 Posts