Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all...

I have noticed lately that on the passenger side of my car when I accelerate I am hearing a kind of whistling noise. It is loudest at about 2.5 RPMs. I noticed this because in the mornings I listen to talk radio. If music is on I can't hear it. It is in the passenger dash, so I am guessing something with the engine. Is this normal. It is not loud... sounds like a quiet whistle. Thanks!

·
Registered
293 Posts
From my little experience: Could be a vacuum...

Or it could just be engine noise. I've noticed that my 2.4L tends to have a whistling noise when accelerating, instead of the top-winding noise most 4-bangers have.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
From my little experience: Could be a vacuum...

Or it could just be engine noise. I've noticed that my 2.4L tends to have a whistling noise when accelerating, instead of the top-winding noise most 4-bangers have.
Thanks for the response. Glad to hear that it isn't just mine. Is there anything I can do, or is that how it is? The noise is actually just below 2 RPMs. Thanks!
I have the 4 banger as well!

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have this same problem. It started to get a bit noticeable around 1,000 miles. I can hear it better when I open the sun roof and opening the passenger side window. It has a noticeable whistle around the RPM' that you spoke of. I don't know what it could be.

·
Registered
489 Posts
IIRC isn't the Airbox on the passenger side of the vehicle? I'm thinking it may just be the airbox making noises.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Does it sound like engine noise or like a possible bad windshield seal?

Is it high pitch or low pitch and is it only while accelerating.

·
Registered
8 Posts
For me, the noise is high pitched... almost sounds like a load cricket, and it only occurse when I'm accelerating. I hear it every time I start from a stop.

·
Registered
573 Posts
I think its the extra noise from the VVT you are hearing. The ecotec isnt the quietest engine out there but the Malibu does a great job of keeping the annoying 4 banger sound out of the cabin when you get high in the RPM ranges.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.