Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

61 - 80 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Spent a few hours researching this.

In order for the 2017 Malibu to have remote start, it must have the "CONVENIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY PACKAGE" which adds :

Dual USB charging-only ports
Leather-wrapped shift knob
120-volt power outlet
Leather-wrapped steering wheel
Wireless charging
18" aluminum wheels

This doesn't apply to the premier trim, which has these features included. So if you are wondering if your car is remote start capable, see if you have any of the features of the C&T package.

That is not true. My 2017 Malibu LT doesn't have any of those and I was able to get remote start added with OEM remotes from eBay and a trip to a dealer that knew how to program them to the car. I also spent hours researching this before I took the plunge and there is so much differing information out there and the dealers just add to the confusion. You do not need the convenience and technology package to add remote start to the car.

·
Registered
1 Posts
iMyk - So for the 2016 Chevy Malibu, the only item to purchase is the key fobs and program them to the car???? There is no other devices to purchase like the earlier models????

don2003ss

·
Registered
16 Posts
iMyk - So for the 2016 Chevy Malibu, the only item to purchase is the key fobs and program them to the car???? There is no other devices to purchase like the earlier models????

don2003ss
The remote start kit Chevy sells is like $275 but eBay has them for less. Some dealers are asking people where they bought their remote start kit from. Not sure what difference it makes but several people in this forum have bought from eBay and it worked. Make sure your car is able to add the remote start first though.

·
Registered
16 Posts
The remote start kit Chevy sells is like $275 but eBay has them for less. Some dealers are asking people where they bought their remote start kit from. Not sure what difference it makes but several people in this forum have bought from eBay and it worked. Make sure your car is able to add the remote start first though.
And yes it only comes with 2 remotes

·
Registered
1 Posts
A lot of excellent info posted. Still not overly confident purchasing ebay fobs not knowing if they'll work with my Malibu(2016 LT no enhanced packages). My car came with the standard 4 button fob. A lot of reviewing suggested that my direct 4 button fob replacement using the frequency of 315 MHZ and every 5 button fob I find on eBay posted with any detail is listed as 433 MHZ frequency which is usually used overseas and not the states. Could this be the issue that leads to some fobs working and some not or shouldn't matter since they seemed to be programmed to work the doors and trunk? Or the reason the dealer may need to be involved?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Today I was quoted $275 for the "transmitter package" and $57 for the programing. This is at a smaller dealership south of KC. Going to see if they can match a price I found online.

·
Registered
21 Posts
So as per my very early post at the beginning of this thread, I bought the OEM Accessory Remote start Fobs Part # 84168861 on ebay for my 2016 (gen 9) and had them programmed by the dealer I found that knew what they were doing. Many dealers don't know what they are doing or use outside companies to do their "dealer installed option" work. So I just got my kid a 2018 Malibu LS and bought another OEM Accessory Remote start Fobs Part # 84168861 kit on ebay. The kit is 2 replacement OEM Accessory Remote start Fobs with the auto start button and a paper with the code. I will be going back to the dealer who programmed the same kit to my other car in about 1/2 hour for $75. You cannot do it yourself as they must reprogram the car computer to activate the remote start feature. Below are links to the Chevrolet website for the FOBS and the programming instructions for the dealer to follow. You can still use your old FOBs as spares w/o having remote start feature

https://accessories.chevrolet.com/product/2018/Chevrolet/Malibu/remote-start-kit-84168861?categoryId=12001

https://ecom-dam.ext.gm.com/parts/documents/ISheets_23257090.pdf

·
Registered
21 Posts
So I brought the new 2018 LS to the same dealer who programmed my 2016 LS Remote start key fobs to program the new OEM remote start fobs bought on ebay. Everything went smooth because they know what they are doing. 1/2 hour of labor at $70 and it was completed. I was even able to pay with Chevy points I received for the car purchase, so final price was $0 for labor.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I bought a Gen 8 2015. Will it be the same case as a new key FOB and programing? If so what is the part number for the key FOB?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thanks for the info in this thread! Bought a 2017 Malibu last year from the dealer that had a branded title "Manufacturer Buyback". Bought the remote start key FOB "kit" (GM 84168861) off of eBay at a great price and the Dealer activated the remote start in about a half hour. Called the help number in the myChevy app and they were able to add the remote start feature to the app for this car (took a few days to show up).

A couple months ago I came across a 2016 Malibu LT with only 23K miles on it that had been totaled by an insurance company. Nothing mechanical/structural had been damaged - just needed a fender, windshield, hood, and a few airbags. In Wisconsin you can have a state inspector go through the vehicle after repairs and certify the vehicle meets safety requirements and is road worthy. The title is still branded but changed to "Rebuilt". Being winter I wanted the remote start option so once again bought the proper FOBs off of eBay and took them into the dealer to be programmed. They came out to the waiting room about 30 minutes later saying that GM would not give them programming instructions for the FOBs because the car has a branded "Rebuilt" title. I reminded them of the branded "Buyback" Malibu they programmed last year and was told "that's different". The service manager told me he knows that in the past they've done this on "rebuilt" vehicles, that GM must have new policies. Apparently the Tech needs to call into GM with the serial number that comes with the FOBs and then is given "programming instructions" which this time GM refused to give the Tech. I was told there was nothing more that could be done and that if I wanted remote start I'd have to have something aftermarket installed.

GM was more than willing to sell me all the parts to repair the vehicle. But now when I want to take it to them and pay one of their dealers to upgrade it they don't want my business? There is also the monthly OnStar subscription they don't want from me as well I guess. I did call and email the GM "help line" to see if there was anything else that could be done. Both agents gave me the same ridiculous answer - "Just call your Department of Motor Vehicles and have them remove the branding from the title". The agent on the phone was even nice enough to Google the DMV phone number as she was trying to get rid of me.

So ends my rant about my recent experience trying to get my car worked on. Still many thanks to the spot on information in this thread! At least I was able to get one of the Malibu's remote start working.

·
Premium Member
1,277 Posts
When it comes to salvage or rebuilt titled vehicles no manufacturer will touch them do to liability concerns, period. If a non certified repair fails and someone gets hurt the manufacture winds up in court. Totaled is totaled. That's why those cars are a ''deal'' and you assume all and any risks and costs for that deal. Just think about how many flood cars there are out there lately ? The look like new though.....

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just bought the fobs now and I'm now trying to find a dealer in the DC area that ain't trying to charge me 160 to put a "transmitter" in 🙄. I'll update when I get it done. I have a 2018 malibu LS.

·
Premium Member
1,277 Posts
They are gonna charge a hour labor even if less than a hour to do it. DC is a big money area so don't be surprised at lesser labor in other areas. Shop hourly labor is market driven and labor is sold by the hour.

·
Registered
23 Posts
They are gonna charge a hour labor even if less than a hour to do it. DC is a big money area so don't be surprised at lesser labor in other areas. Shop hourly labor is market driven and labor is sold by the hour.
When I have the Key FOB's , is the dealership the only option to have my software changed for remote start? Or can I do the upgrade myself?

·
Premium Member
1,277 Posts
Dealer has to enable remote start function in the car. We can only add remotes not enable functions.

61 - 80 of 80 Posts