Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I know a lot of people have reported bad things regarding a drop in K&N filter. I wanted a little improvement and wasn't interested in the CAI route which seemed to raise intake temps. Most in general have negative things to say regarding oiled filters. But I've been using K&N filters for about 15 years with no negative feedback only time I have seen something bad personally was when a buddy of mine over oiled his filter and it messed up his truck. On a positive note I got that little Woosh sound I was looking for and after a week seems like 3mpg better but they may just be a coincidence. Thanks for reading have a great labor day weekend.

Mpg recently

Attachments

·
Administrator
2011 Malibu LTZ 3.6L V6 Red Jewel Tintcoat
18,197 Posts
Even if all you did was to replace the original air filter with another paper one that doesn't have that blockage, you'll get more air with less effort.

K&N is known to flow more air. As you pointed out, the only real concerns:
  • If any oil comes off and deposits onto the MAF sensor
  • What size particles make it through the filter into the engine and if they cause any additional wear or not
Nice to see that you got a bump in MPG. I hope it IS a coincidence and directly related to the new filter. That'll mean that you get a small payback on every fill-up.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
How are you getting 40+ MPG!!?? I have a 2016 Premier 2.0T and I only get around 24 - 26 MPG
Well I can't say it's all time and especially not of I'm just driving around town. But for the most part I stay in the 35+ range average. Maybe it's staying out of boost or just how I drive but my mpg is pretty good most of the time.

·
Super Moderator
2017 SS Sedan 6.2L
5,021 Posts
@DrivenDaily touched on the other issue with oiled filters. They DO NOT FILTER as claimed. 3rd party tests have shown that K&N oiled filters are letting in significantly more fine particulate than OEM-style paper filters. What's the 50,000 mile effect of inhaling dirtier air below manufacturer tolerance?

If you gained 3 mpg, it's because your OEM style filter was just that dirty. My wife once gained several mpg on her old Cobalt after simply getting some overdue maintenance and a new paper filter. GM has some good and bad qualities, but they definitely didn't leave 3 mpg on the table in their own intake box.

Reactions: Trifecta

·
Registered
6 Posts
So I know a lot of people have reported bad things regarding a drop in K&N filter. I wanted a little improvement and wasn't interested in the CAI route which seemed to raise intake temps. Most in general have negative things to say regarding oiled filters. But I've been using K&N filters for about 15 years with no negative feedback only time I have seen something bad personally was when a buddy of mine over oiled his filter and it messed up his truck. On a positive note I got that little Woosh sound I was looking for and after a week seems like 3mpg better but they may just be a coincidence. Thanks for reading have a great labor day weekend.

Mpg recently
Any Update on the mileage and experience of using an oiled filter after a few months ?
I just find initial impressions to be on the positive side and others often react on the negative side (with or without experience) but,,,
I would appreciate knowing if you are still feeling positive about the drop in oil filter. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok
Any Update on the mileage and experience of using an oiled filter after a few months ?
I just find initial impressions to be on the positive side and others often react on the negative side (with or without experience) but,,,
I would appreciate knowing if you are still feeling positive about the drop in oil filter. Thanks in advance.
[/QUOTE
After several months I still feel good about my decision. I actually purchased a K&N opintake system as well when I found a deal on black Friday that I couldn't pass up. The intake is still in the box for now I'd like to purchase the trifecta tune before I put it on or my wife will take issue with the code on the dash. I haven't seen any indication that my MAF be negatively affected. No unusual deposits or sooting. Gas milage seems to still be good. Most of my driving is city. We recently took a trip from upstate NY to NYC and averaged mid 30's majority of the time.

Attachments

·
Administrator
18,197 Posts
Aside from any increase in MPG, what is happening inside the engine, and will that shorten the lift of it or not?

Also, is the MAF being coated in micro particles of oil?

There's more to owning and operating than just fuel mileage.

·
Premium Member
1,657 Posts
Think about this, if GM could improve it's corporate fuel economy average with just putting in different air filters other than paper ones do you think the would ? Yes they would. KN are just another Co. marketing their product. Save your money.

Reactions: SilverSport

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Hard to tell
Think about this, if GM could improve it's corporate fuel economy average with just putting in different air filters other than paper ones do you think the would ? Yes they would. KN are just another Co. marketing their product. Save your money.
I agree and my use of K&N Is not necessarily for the gas mileage. The 60$ I spent on the filter I doubt will in anyway be recouped in gas savings. I do feel a little more pep from the engine but that could also be due to the increase in the intake noise. Will I put a K&N sticker on my car....no but I haven't seen in my years of use any negatives. I have always oiled my own filter using the least amount possible and letting them dry a bit before reinstalling them. I am sure there are many other individuals with varying options who know alot more then me.That being said I am not a mechanic I am a pretty technical individual and do all my own work on my cars so maybe I know just enough to be dangerous. I do love having great community like this to discuss these matters.

·
Administrator
18,197 Posts
It sounds like you're using it in the best way possible. The only thing you haven't been able to address yet is if there are more particulates making it past the filter and into the engine than with paper.

We may never know the answer to that, though...

·
Super Moderator
2017 SS Sedan 6.2L
5,021 Posts
Well yeah, I mean besides obvious issues like oil ruining the MAF, who's to say that in 5 years or 50,000 miles what negative affects can be blamed on the filter if the engine isn't running well or starts consuming oil from ragged piston rings?

It's not going to immediately present itself as a bad modification. I ran a K&N panel filter in my old Malibu for several years. Despite my initial enthusiasm about it, over time I never could determine any improvements/gains and the more I learned, the less I liked the idea of K&N's product. Full disclosure, my Malibu did develop oil consumption and I can't prove what caused it.

Reactions: Mynewbu87

·
Registered
6 Posts
Not taking a side in this but,,,

• Paper,, is not a standard. One is not equal to the next in relation to filtering capabilities Sooo, I dont know why people compare Oil filters to "paper".
  • If filtering better meant longer life, why stop at paper filters? Why not more filtration? (then people in other forums would criticize the use of paper filters, right ?)
  • many predict problems with oil filters but, I have run K&N in multiple cars, trucks and bikes that never had problems.
Yet, I am still interested in the input of those who also tried them.

·
Administrator
18,197 Posts
I had a K&N cone filter in my 1991 F150 302 V8 and could not detect any improvement in power or mileage.

I had a K&N panel filter in my first 2011 3.6L Malibu, the one I owned just prior to this one. When I lost it to a flood, I moved it to this 2011 3.6L. After some input here, and after thinking seriously about the data that was available to me elsewhere, I chose to return to a paper filter.

I don't know that anyone is actually saying that paper is the standard. Paper is just the cheapest compared to the oiled or dry non-paper alternatives, and it's what comes on most new vehicles, if not all.

Your idea that more filtration would be better is actually a good idea. With more surface area of the same medium, the resistance to air movement will be less so the effort needed to pump the air will be reduced. A commensurate improvement in fuel efficiency will be realized as well. The reduction in fuel consumption would have to be measured. It also stands to reason that there's an ROI where it starts to cost more than it's worth, plus you have to consider that real estate under the hood for more filtration is not gonna come easily.

Many years ago, specifically thinking about a friend's 1957 Chevy pickup, an oil bath air filter was available. It didn't use a cloth gauze but instead a metal fabric gauze. The air had to push through the oil, which was drawn up into the metal fabric and captured. Well, at least most of it was. Some of it was consumed. But that was in the days of carburetors and sloppy machining where oil consumption and sooty exhaust was not an issue. When Mt. St. Helens blew its top in May of 1980, paper filters clogged up so quickly that vehicles could not be driven. My friend was in Southern Oregon and drove his truck up to the Portland area, where it was one of very few vehicles on the road. I don't recall what he said about the state of the oil in the air filter or if it used more due to the volcanic ash, but so long as he kept it above the minimum level, he had no issues driving it around.

I think that the more the subject is discussed, then the more we should be able to glean from the discussion. But not everything presented is fact, nor is everything worth being considered. The simple facts are that the K&N oiled filters allow larger particulates to pass through than paper does. More crap inside the engine means that you're just grinding stuff you don't want to grind.

·
Premium Member
1,657 Posts
I've run oiled filters in the past with CAI kits. Intake noise ''makes'' you think power is up, it's not. OEM air boxes flow more air than a stock or mildly modified engine will use. Plus OEM pull cooler air from outside the engine compartment. I've run a oiled panel filter in my old '09 'bu but switched back to paper. Even with the new factory oiled filter I noticed a oil film inside air pipes. NFG for the MAF and made for frequent cleanings. How many stock air filters can you buy for the price of one oiled filter, quite a few if you shop around. These high flow filters are designed for high performance applications like racing competition for engines that get torn down and rebuilt regularly so long term particulate wear isn't a concern in racing but is in a street engine for longevity and ones goal for the engine to outlast the body rusting out. If your really interested in filtration I would suggest Bob is the Oil guy website. There is no more intense discussion on filtration than those guys on air or oil filters. They buy new filters and dissect them along with used ones and routinely do oil analysis.

·
Super Moderator
2017 SS Sedan 6.2L
5,021 Posts
Not taking a side in this but,,,

• Paper,, is not a standard. One is not equal to the next in relation to filtering capabilities Sooo, I dont know why people compare Oil filters to "paper".
  • If filtering better meant longer life, why stop at paper filters? Why not more filtration? (then people in other forums would criticize the use of paper filters, right ?)
  • many predict problems with oil filters but, I have run K&N in multiple cars, trucks and bikes that never had problems.
Yet, I am still interested in the input of those who also tried them.
This whole post is bizarre so I'm going to break it down by piece.

"Paper is not a standard. One is not equal to the next in filtering capabilities sooo, I don't know why people compare oil filters to paper."

Paper is the baseline because that's what comes from factory, and the airflow and particle filtration have literally been part of the engineering process and longevity expectations for the powertrain. It doesn't matter if the filter is made out of paper or frickin' laser beams, it still has to satisfy those two factors: airflow and filtration.

K&N oiled filters do not filter as cleanly as paper. This is 3rd party tested fact. Every K&N claim on the box is either bogus or safe lawyer speak that can't be disproven. For instance, you have to be insane to run an oiled filter 50,000 miles between cleanings.

"If filtering better meant longer life, why stop at paper filters? Why not more filtration? (then people in other forums would criticize the use of paper filters, right?)"

Again, factory equipment is the baseline here. The paper gauze style OEM filter is the balance of airflow, filtration, and cost that all manufacturers happen to use. If they used a different engineering standard then that would be the baseline instead. Your radically subjective opinion on what constitutes the "right" air filter is just silly and illogical.

"Many predict problems with oil filters but, I have run K&N in multiple cars, trucks and bikes that never had problems."

This is the "I smoked all my life and never got cancer" argument fallacy, not an argument. We know K&N oiled products filter more poorly than paper, which your cylinder walls and piston rings are subjected to every time they move up and down, and we know they deposit oil residue on the MAF. If you intend to run a vehicle for 100,000 miles, at best it's just dumb risk vs reward.

"Yet, I am still interested in the input of those who also tried them."

Spoiler alert: we all tried them. :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: campb292

·
Registered
6 Posts
Please try to avoid talking down to me when I am asking simple but unpopular questions.
I am not young, have multiple educations - graduating from three universities and Officer training with the Army, and have built more cars and motorcycles than most. I also presently have multiple vehicles from classics to my daily driver Malibu.

IF all paper filter companies built to the same standards, I would agree that testing done by unknown people on the internet would indicate that paper is better than oil. BUT, each company is building to their own standard (meaning that company x's paper filter is different than company y's paper filter - Not the same standard as far as I can tell BUT everyone talks about paper like its the same thing).

so, please, when I ask for experience, dont criticize me (you did use a few descriptive words that are insulting) and quote someone you dont know on the internet as proof. I was enjoying this forum but, maybe its not for me.

·
Super Moderator
2016 Malibu 1LT 1.5T
2,676 Posts
@2019-Bu - I re-read the posts here and don't see anyone talking down to you or insulting you. Others are sharing opinions and facts about the K&N filters from different experiences. My main problem with them is the voiding of your mfg warranty. There are multiple bulletins instructing techs to check for them including examining the intake duct(s) for evidence of recent removal. You have rights to modify your car under the MMWA but the mfg providing the warranty gets to make the call whether your mod damaged the car should a problem present itself.

Advice for the future - this is a community forum and we appreciate the varied opinions and preferences of most users, yourself included. If you continue to take part realize people will often disagree and present information and experiences supporting that disagreement; those disagreements can occur frequently especially if your opinion or preference is in the uninformed minority.

Since there are a dozen of these often deteriorating discussions about the K&N product I'm closing this one for now. If anyone enjoys using them, by all means carry on. If anyone is considering usage, consider the warnings and investigate accordingly.

Reactions: 2020 Premier 2.0T
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.