Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So basically I want to have an LTZ without the full leather & colors, plus some more. I got a 1009 2LT pretty loaded up, and am wondering if anyone has, or knows if it's possible to have some features added to my car. I wish I'd done some of it before buying so I could've paid for it with the financing, but oh well.

The first ( I know it isn't specifically a LTZ opt. ) is the back up assistance, or whatever it's called. Not the camera, but there is another option w/out the camera. How does this work, audible tones? Any idea on cost, and is it possible to add to this car?

I'd also like to add the LTZ stereo/CD changer/USB mp3 controller/climate control to my car. This seems pretty straight forward, but with the premium audio system there is also a distiguishment of 6 speakers and 2 subs. How many speakers do I have now, and would they be able to upgrade all of this too, or would I just be better off with an after market upgrade there.

I like the LTZ wheels, but that's straight forward as well. I would like, though, the HID headlights and LED tail lights. Is this something GM would do, or would I need to just find the parts and do it myself? Are any changes needed in the wiring?

I'd also like the chrome door handles, but I saw a thread about that already. I would also like the splash guards and fog lights. Can I do the splash guards at home or will it require modification of the body of the car? I'm guessing the fog lights might be an issue and that the wiring would all need to be added? Any idea how big of a deal this would be with the dealer?

Lastly is the power center in the back... that seems pretty simple at the dealer too, but does anyone know if the wiring is there for me to add it myself if I got the parts?

Thanks for helping out here with the pretty open ended post.

·
Registered
749 Posts
I got the 2LT because of the interior colours too.. too radical in the LTZs.

The back-up assistant is not available from the factory.. those are found on the upper-level SUVs, buicks, and cadillacs.. probably their other brands but you get what I mean.. they're not available on the less expensive vehicles.

On our cadillacs, it's audible/visual. They position it so you can see the various lights via your rearview mirror.. VERY helpful for me.

From what I've read, you can upgrade the stereo system.. the automatic climate control CANNOT be upgraded.. there are too many things missing (especially the ability to read the interior temperatures).. I don't know the technical reasons.

GM will not play with your headlights and taillamps.. your local chevrolet dealer MAY help you out with the taillamps from the LTZ if you buy them and pay for labour.. like I said though.. that's totally their discretion and I haven't heard of them doing it before.

You know who we really need to answer all of your questions to your standards? "beach' and "Yuri".. they're the geniuses on this forum. I'll refer beach to this thread on your behalf.

·
Premium Member
714 Posts
I'd love a backup sensor too. It's pretty tight on our street with cars utilizing pretty much every foot of legal parking space :)

I did a quick search on aftermarket stuff once, but that didn't yield anything interesting. Maybe I should out more time into it.

Stereo - in addition to speaker differences (not sure if it's a problem) I am guessing there may be an issue with the version of OnStar, the latest is 8, but they upgraded it really recently. My 08 Bu is version 7, for instance. The USB was added when they were already making 09s after addition of bluetooth and bluetooth is a ver. 8 thing. Anyway, it's something to look into.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the help... basically, yes, Id like an LTZ with the 2LT interior, and then some more. As for the version of OnStar, can't that just be upgraded if it's the case? I would love the back up thing though. I'm great at parallel parking, but the one thing with this car is you don't get much of a view out the rear view mirror. The side mirrors don't help much either from where I'm seated, unless I move them. I guess with time I'll get used to the size and shape of the car and be able to judge it better, but I'd love that feature. It was one of the things I was thinking about when comparing this to the Altima I almost got instead. I guess it could be an after market thing anyway, but you'd think if it can be put on a Cadillac, it could be put on after the fact for a Malibu, too.

I assumed I'd need to do the HID and LED lighting myself, but is it possible or will it need a lot modification to make it work?

Thanks again for the help.

·
Registered
493 Posts
You can have an aftermarket back-up system installed on your car, the most basic ones come with the sensors that have to be mounted in the bumper and it has a small screen that mounts on the dash with visual and audible tones to let you know when you're close.

As far as wanting the 2lT interior on an LTZ you'd really have to ask the dealer and I'd bet they're gonna tell you the only way to have the 2LT interior is to get the 2LT trim level. GM use to let you order a vehicle the way you wanted it outitted but it seems anymore they do these trim packages and what they come with is the only choice for that trim level. One way to see if you can even try is to go to Chevrolet's website and go to build a vehicle, go through the steps to see if you can get the trim level on the interior but have the LTZ for everything else.

Well I jumped over to the Chevrolet website just to see if there's a chance at getting the interior trim level of the 2LT on an LTZ and it's not possible.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You can have an aftermarket back-up system installed on your car, the most basic ones come with the sensors that have to be mounted in the bumper and it has a small screen that mounts on the dash with visual and audible tones to let you know when you're close.

As far as wanting the 2lT interior on an LTZ you'd really have to ask the dealer and I'd bet they're gonna tell you the only way to have the 2LT interior is to get the 2LT trim level. GM use to let you order a vehicle the way you wanted it outitted but it seems anymore they do these trim packages and what they come with is the only choice for that trim level. One way to see if you can even try is to go to Chevrolet's website and go to build a vehicle, go through the steps to see if you can get the trim level on the interior but have the LTZ for everything else.

Well I jumped over to the Chevrolet website just to see if there's a chance at getting the interior trim level of the 2LT on an LTZ and it's not possible.
I'll check into that.

I already have the 2LT... just planning the upgrades I want to make to get it how I want it (somewhat like the LTZ). It is just planning right now though. I wont have the money for some time... big cut backs at work.

·
Premium Member
714 Posts
Guys, if anyone comes across a reasonable after market backup kit, please let post it here. I am interested in a sensor system, the one that beeps. Not the camera system though - mounting a screen is another can of worms..:)

·
Premium Member
714 Posts
I think no matter what kind of back up system you look for will require drilling into the bumper for the sensors to be installed in!
the first system posted above uses sensors integrated into a license plate frame.
I personally like the sensors in the bumper more, I think it looks cleaner.

·
Premium Member
714 Posts
I don't know how it is on my Malibu, but, if memory serves, my Accord had an opening for this kind of thing that came with a plug from the factory.

as far as the range of detection difference, do you know it for a fact? all systems claim similar detection areas.

·
Premium Member
714 Posts
Yury...Did you check out the prices on the Sports Import link above....Very fair on all the different types.
Yes, not bad. But I can also see various kits on eBay that are around 30-40$...They all look very similar.

·
Registered
122 Posts
My dealership told me that they would not be able to install the fog lights on my 2LT. Some aftermarket company or another dealership may tell you differently.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.