Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking of buying a new V6 Malibu, but I'm really bothered by the lack of a cancel button for the cruise control. There's a million buttons on the wheel, but no cancel. :(

I'd love to add a cancel button if I get the Malibu. Anyone know how to do this, preferably attaching it to one of those other buttons on the wheel? I was able to do this with my old 89 Camry, but I've forgotten what I did exactly. It was something like...wiring an always-on momentary switch in series with the brake sense wire on the cruise. When the brake was tapped, the sense wire lost ground and cancelled the cruise. Hitting the switch did the same thing, without lighting up the brakelights.

So, I'd like a way to do this without dragging a ghetto wire across my carpet and taping a switch to the console. :)

TIA!

·
CMF Honorary Member
1,143 Posts
Educate me Kkant.

The steering wheel controls have a Cruise On-Off swith, what's the difference between that and what you're looking for?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The difference is that when you turn the cruise off with the on-off switch, you can't hit the resume button and get back to your previously set speed. A cancel button is like hitting the brake pedal--it releases the throttle, but saves your previous speed so you can tap resume to get back to it.

It may not seem like a big deal on paper, but it really is much more relaxing on long trips to use the cancel button rather than the brakes for this.

The really frustrating part about it is that apparently the previous 07 Malibus had this button (like most cars these days). They decided to remove it on the new ones.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was thinking a little more about how I might accomplish this. I would guess the steering wheel buttons are hooked to a small wireless transmitter in the steering wheel, and there's a corresponding receiver somewhere in the dash. And presumably there's a bunch of control wires coming out of that receiver, with each wire corresponding to a button on the wheel.

So, the idea is that I would tap into the appropriate receiver wire, and hook it to the control side of a normally-closed relay. Then I could hook up the relay contacts in series with the normally-grounded cruise brake sense wire.

Does this sound possible? Am I heading in the right direction?

If so, I guess the remaining questions would be--which wire is the brake sense wire for the cruise, and where are the wires that go to the wheel receiver?

·
Registered
94 Posts
It may not seem like a big deal on paper, but it really is much more relaxing on long trips to use the cancel button rather than the brakes for this.
:confused:I only have one word for this comment: Lazy. Seriously, you want to do all this unneccessary modifications to put a cancel button on a brand new car?! That's unheard of. Yes, I can totally understand that you did it to a 89 Camry. But to a brand new car? If you can not move your foot like 5-10 inches (depending on where your foot rests) to touch the brake for a second to cancel it, and hit the button to resume the speed. You seriously need to take a hard look at yourself. :eek:

·
Registered
74 Posts
He's just "thinking" about buying a Malibu - he probably won't buy it now that he came to the forum for support and got blasted. It's easier to buy some other car that has it.

I sympathize because I used the cruise a lot and that cancel button is sorely needed. It was a design oversight or cost cutting casualty - either way it's something that should have been there.

I'm thinking of buying a new V6 Malibu, but I'm really bothered by the lack of a cancel button for the cruise control. There's a million buttons on the wheel, but no cancel. :(TIA!

·
Registered
144 Posts
I would guess the steering wheel buttons are hooked to a small wireless transmitter in the steering wheel, and there's a corresponding receiver somewhere in the dash. And presumably there's a bunch of control wires coming out of that receiver, with each wire corresponding to a button on the wheel.

sorry, but theres no wireless transmission from the buttons on the wheel to the the cruise or radio. theyre wired in, with harnesses that run through the steering column.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
:confused:I only have one word for this comment: Lazy. Seriously, you want to do all this unneccessary modifications to put a cancel button on a brand new car?! That's unheard of. Yes, I can totally understand that you did it to a 89 Camry. But to a brand new car? If you can not move your foot like 5-10 inches (depending on where your foot rests) to touch the brake for a second to cancel it, and hit the button to resume the speed. You seriously need to take a hard look at yourself. :eek:
Why don't you sell your new 08 Malibu, buy an old beater, and donate the money to charity. I have only one word for your attitude: Greedy. Seriously, any old car will get from from point A to B. See how stupid that sounds? Next time you post, maybe you should take a hard look at yourself before you make worthless, unhelpful, unjustified, holier-than-thou comments.

Second, I don't think taking the time to do modifications to a car to make it more comfortable is "lazy".

Third, I think if I'm dropping $25 grand on a car, it should have a basic feature that most other cars have.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
He's just "thinking" about buying a Malibu - he probably won't buy it now that he came to the forum for support and got blasted. It's easier to buy some other car that has it.
No worries, I'm not going to let comments from an idiot like that decide which car I buy.

I sympathize because I used the cruise a lot and that cancel button is sorely needed. It was a design oversight or cost cutting casualty - either way it's something that should have been there.
Yup, I agree. It really doesn't save much money... The only thing I can think of is that there are so many convenience buttons on the wheel that they had to compromise and get rid of one.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
sorry, but theres no wireless transmission from the buttons on the wheel to the the cruise or radio. theyre wired in, with harnesses that run through the steering column.
Cool, thanks for the info. That makes it easier, actually. Are all the buttons simple switches that put a straight +12V on their corresponding wire? And is there a wiring diagram anywhere that maps each button to the wire color?

·
Registered
144 Posts
Cool, thanks for the info. That makes it easier, actually. Are all the buttons simple switches that put a straight +12V on their corresponding wire? And is there a wiring diagram anywhere that maps each button to the wire color?
i know they're wired. however, i dont think that it's a simple 12V operation like youre thinking. GM started using some sort of wiring, and i dont remember the name, but someone else here might. but instead of the wires sending voltage, they somehow send data (its very computerized).
Like, when i push any of the buttons to control the radio, (i think, from what i have read), the volume up/down buttons would use the same wire going to the radio, but when i push one of the buttons, each button sends it's own unique "signal" that it uses to tell the radio (which will decode the signal being sent) what to do. Follow me?
GM, and other automakers started using this technology to cut costs of making wiring harnesses. For example, when making a harness to control lets say 4 functions on the radio from the wheel, instead of using one wire for each function, putting about 4 or more wires in the harness to the wheel, they were able to make controls with resistors to code the signal, and technology in the radio to decode the signal, therefore using 1 wire to send multiple signals, cutting the cost of the harness. Repeat a couple million times, and they saves a couple million dollars by using less wire.

Hope you can follow all of that.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Hope you can follow all of that.
Yup, I understand, that makes sense. Thanks again for the info.

Unfortunately, this makes it harder. I'm not going to be able to decode their signal protocol. It looks like my only option would be to run a cable directly to the switch, and solder leads onto the switch contacts. How hard is it to get at those buttons? Can I remove that steering wheel face without screwing up the airbag etc?

<edit> Or... I can simply drill a hole and attach a new switch. A small black rubber pushbutton switch probably wouldn't look bad. :) Probably a better idea, so I don't screw up the signaling on the existing buttons. I would still need to remove that button cover plate, through, and remove the wheel cover to route the wire down the column.

·
Registered
36 Posts
There most likely is not a extra wire for you to use? Would it need to be connected to the steering wheel? How about a momentary button on the center console next to the shifter? all you would have to do is tie it into the brake switch and make it momentary open or close whichever the brake pedal switch is and you would have a switch that does the same thing as tapping the brake. I guess if you were good at wiring you could bring it up the column into the steering wheel and allow for the turn of the wheel and you would have it. Most cars I think have a clockspring which is like a coiled spring and the wires are iniside of it. Not sure if the Malibu has that but I would be surprised if it does not. If you were good it should be able to be done by hooking to the brake switch and put a switch in the wheel, would be easier in the center console though.

Just my thoughts,

·
Registered
193 Posts
I agree the lack of cancel button is a small annoyance, but my spidey-sense is telling me that altering a brand new car is asking for trouble if there are any warranty issues. These cars are pretty complex -- any service place is going to deny warranty coverage to anything related to the steering wheel (probably including the airbag) if you make any modifications. My thought is the malibu is a great car, but if the cancel button is that important, you may want to consider other cars as well.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Yeah this is a little annoying... kind of like not having an overdrive button. Not really necessary I guess in this car, but I'm used to playing with it on older cars.

I wonder if there is a "GM way" of doing this. I mean, maybe there is a combination of buttons, or something you wouldn't otherwise think of trying that may do it already. Perhaps hitting the resume button when already at speed, but just tapping it instead of holding it in to accelerate, or pushing two buttons at once, or some such nonsense. There is probably nothing, but it's worth trying out some combinations to see.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
You guys are probably right, it will probably screw up too many things to get into the wheel. Plus the whole spiral-spring wire around the column makes it much more difficult--I had forgotten about that aspect. Maybe it would be best just to drag the wire to the console, if I get the car. But this time, under the carpet. :)

slhaas-- I tried a couple key combos similar to your suggestions while I was test driving the car, but they didn't seem to work. It wasn't a comprehensive search, but I'd bet there's no such button.

·
Registered
438 Posts
You guys are probably right, it will probably screw up too many things to get into the wheel. Plus the whole spiral-spring wire around the column makes it much more difficult--I had forgotten about that aspect. Maybe it would be best just to drag the wire to the console, if I get the car. But this time, under the carpet. :)

slhaas-- I tried a couple key combos similar to your suggestions while I was test driving the car, but they didn't seem to work. It wasn't a comprehensive search, but I'd bet there's no such button.
Maybe you should consider placing the button where the power adjustable pedals used to be... there is an open spot there, it wouldn't look out of place at all, and you'd be able to hide it very well without any wires hanging out anywhere... so long as you can tap any necessary wire behind the dash.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm thinking of buying a new V6 Malibu, but I'm really bothered by the lack of a cancel button for the cruise control. There's a million buttons on the wheel, but no cancel. :(

I'd love to add a cancel button if I get the Malibu. Anyone know how to do this, preferably attaching it to one of those other buttons on the wheel? I was able to do this with my old 89 Camry, but I've forgotten what I did exactly. It was something like...wiring an always-on momentary switch in series with the brake sense wire on the cruise. When the brake was tapped, the sense wire lost ground and cancelled the cruise. Hitting the switch did the same thing, without lighting up the brakelights.

So, I'd like a way to do this without dragging a ghetto wire across my carpet and taping a switch to the console. :)

TIA!
use the brake :)

·
Registered
144 Posts
good call slhaas! And, if he does put the button there, he could tighten his dimmer switch if it would be loose, like some others on here had posted about. ;)

·
Registered
573 Posts
There is actually a cancel button. All you have to do is hold down the set button for 2 seconds and it should shut off. It shuts ours off IIRC.

Or it might be a combination push of the set and res buttons.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.