Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First post.....

I am in the process of buying an 08 LS. I getting a very good deal that it is the outgoing 08 version.

I don't want many bells and whitles. However, would love to have XM. Is there a way to add a factory XM tuner to the LS. I know I can buy a plug and play but I really would prefer to have the factory look.

Any links to a product or a guide on how to enable this or if it is even possible?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
915 Posts
Are you buying this from a dealer? You could ask them to swap out the radio in the car for one that has the combination with XM/AM/FM/CD radio, they just might work with you.
The radio doesn't effect whether it has XM or not, as cars with and those without (albeit rare and all fleet ordered stripped cars) have the same head unit. The XM exists via a specific control module in the car, antenna, and the account then being set up and activated.

They used to offer XM as an accessory for cars where it was a factory option (i.e. they were all prepped, but didn't all have it) but not checked off, so it could be installed easily and to OEM spec, but they don't anymore because it's now standard in most.

There are very similar kits with the same stuff sold by others that do the trick, however, like this for an Aura (same electrical guts & stereo):

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2007-SATURN-AURA-DIRECT-XM-RADIO-PACKAGE-LIKE-OEM_W0QQitemZ150110477555QQihZ005QQcategoryZ38645QQssPageNameZWD1VQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1638Q2em118Q2el1247

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for the responses. I have emailed the guy at the page to make sure that will work with a Malibu.

The strange thing is, is that this is not a fleet car. According to the dealer and the documentation you have to get an LT2 in order to get XM.

I am in Canada, so perhaps that is the reason why it is not standard compared to the US. Seems strange really. I believe that Canadians probably like their XM radio just as much as Americans :)

·
Premium Member
915 Posts
I am in Canada, so perhaps that is the reason why it is not standard compared to the US. Seems strange really. I believe that Canadians probably like their XM radio just as much as Americans :)
Aye, that is true. I should have said fleet cars AND cars from Canada, which have strangely missing items that are options rather than standard as here. That's probably why.

Hopefully you can get something to work, such as that kit, and be good to go.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was just comparing the headunit in the LS vs the LTZ. The main difference that I can see is the fact that the LS does not have a cat button. It does have the info button though.

Do you think this would indicate that it is not xm ready? Do the LS's in the US have the cat button?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.