Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my lt2 has the factory remote start and crappy alarm system. I would like to know if anyone has found an add on kit? Or if fully aftermarket is the way to go, which options are the best for me retain the few nice things about the factory system?

·
Registered
56 Posts
So my lt2 has the factory remote start and crappy alarm system. I would like to know if anyone has found an add on kit? Or if fully aftermarket is the way to go, which options are the best for me retain the few nice things about the factory system?
Fully aftermarket. I install just about 12v anything as a hobby and for side money.

I put a Viper 5704v in my '11 LTZ when I got it last month. I also have installed 4 of them this season with 2 more lined up. It's gettin cold and people are finally seeing the price as worth it.

If you have any questions feel free to ask em here or PM me.

·
Administrator
16,898 Posts
Does it also start the car? If so, what do you use to get around the CTD (content theft deterrent) and the transponder system?

I've heard the DB-ALL will do the job but not sure.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Does it also start the car? If so, what do you use to get around the CTD (content theft deterrent) and the transponder system?

I've heard the DB-ALL will do the job but not sure.
Yep it starts the car and handles multiple other functions I will get to later in this post :p

That's exactly what I used. The DBAll. I own an xpresskit programmer and just flashed it to my cars year make model. If you use an Xpresskit alongside a DEI manufactured remote start (Viper, Python, Clifford, Avital, etc.) that supports D2D, you can avoid hooking up a bunch of wires. For example, my dball combined with the 5704v in D2D mode arms and disarms itself and the factory alarm when I press lock or unlock on my remote. It handles trunk release, brake pedal status(since aftermarket system shut off when you depress the brake), tachometer, door status, hood pin status, door locks, and bypasses the chip in the key(only while the Aftermarket remote start is active). Makes things really easy. since you don't have to run wires to handle all that. Makes for an easier and cleaner install.

EDIT: if you are experienced it should take you about 2 hours included bench prepping everything.

I cut off every wire I wont be using on the brain, tape everything every inch or so, and then pull all the wires into one bunch and zip tie them to one of the legs on the brain so that way it's clean and easy to mount the brain. Then from there, I run the wires along factory wiring or anyway that will make it look factory as possible, and once the wire is where it needs to be, I then cut it to length, that way you aren't dealing with extra slack/rats nest that I see so many lazy installers do. Electrical tape and zipties are your friend!

I'm probably going to be doing another one of these on wednesday or saturday in an 06 grand prix GTP if anyone wants to see some pictures let me know, Ill try to remember to snap some.

·
Administrator
16,898 Posts
Months ago I bought the Autopage C3-RS1100, the DB-All, and a backup battery. (Is that for hitting cars parked behind you??? ;))

I've been waiting to install it 'cuz the factory remote intermittently won't start the car. I'm tired of getting the run-around from the dealer so I'm moving ahead with installing it soon. With the DB-All will I need to program it using another device or is it self-contained? I've printed out and read all of the installation instructions and I'm still not sure about the DB-All. The rest of it I can handle no problem. Your comments above lead me to think that I need another device to program the DB-All. Am I misunderstanding it?

And if you want to post pics of an install that won't be a problem. We can probably apply most or all of it to our Malibu models.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Months ago I bought the Autopage C3-RS1100, the DB-All, and a backup battery. (Is that for hitting cars parked behind you??? ;))

I've been waiting to install it 'cuz the factory remote intermittently won't start the car. I'm tired of getting the run-around from the dealer so I'm moving ahead with installing it soon. With the DB-All will I need to program it using another device or is it self-contained? I've printed out and read all of the installation instructions and I'm still not sure about the DB-All. The rest of it I can handle no problem. Your comments above lead me to think that I need another device to program the DB-All. Am I misunderstanding it?

And if you want to post pics of an install that won't be a problem. We can probably apply most or all of it to our Malibu models.

I used to swear by autopage, I love them still, I installed one in my girlfriends car for christmas since it didn't need a bypass module. I used to use iDatalink modules with the autopage systems since iDatalink and Autopage D2D worked hand in hand. But iDatalink now requires you to be an authorized iDatalink dealer to flash their modules and I am not about to deal with that hassle, which is why I switched to DEI products.

You need to check what firmware is on your DBall first, some come flashed with chrysler firmware, some come with GM firmware, it's random from my experience, where did you buy yours from? But if you printed off the instructions from xpresskit's site it shows you what wires to hook up, the dashed ones you exclude if you are running a DEI remote start with D2D. You however will have to hook them up, but still it isn't that hard, based on the posts ive seen from you, you obviously know what you'are doing.

You can call up any local directed dealer and see if they will check what firmware your module is running, and they can flash it. If they want to charge you, feel free to ship me your module and I will flash it free of charge. Or if you're in michigan I can meet you :p The DB-all works on so many models that it has to be programmed to the model it's going in, in order for it to work properly.

·
Administrator
16,898 Posts
I was checking my "stash" and discovered that I have the xPressKit optimax series "PKALL". It says it has D2D and W2W. I apparently don't have the DBALL. The PKALL has a Rev of 20091118 (Nov 18, '09) and is called a "data immobilizer override" on the instructions. I don't see my Malibu listed for Chevies, but it does have Aveo (2004-2006 and 2008), Epica (2004-2007), and Venture (1998, 1999). For Pontiac it has Grand Prix (2000, 2001), Montana (2000, 2001), Vibe (2008-2010), and Wave (2004-2006 and 2008). No Buicks are listed and only the '98-'99 Olds Silhouette.

I think I'm screwed, huh?

·
Registered
56 Posts
I was checking my "stash" and discovered that I have the xPressKit optimax series "PKALL". It says it has D2D and W2W. I apparently don't have the DBALL. The PKALL has a Rev of 20091118 (Nov 18, '09) and is called a "data immobilizer override" on the instructions. I don't see my Malibu listed for Chevies, but it does have Aveo (2004-2006 and 2008), Epica (2004-2007), and Venture (1998, 1999). For Pontiac it has Grand Prix (2000, 2001), Montana (2000, 2001), Vibe (2008-2010), and Wave (2004-2006 and 2008). No Buicks are listed and only the '98-'99 Olds Silhouette.

I think I'm screwed, huh?
Unfortunately yeah, those were for the older versions of Passkey, I used one of those on an 02 Grand prix I had. All it was for is transponder bypass, nothing else. DBAlls are cheap though (50ish dollars).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts