Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Chevrolet Malibu 2LT
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Heya!
As incredible as the default MyLink system is, it lacks a lot of features, so I'm interested in installing a aftermarket head unit (stereo, radio, whatever its called), with my biggest interest being Carply
Preferably, I'd like to keep the volume, tuning knobs and other buttons, but if that's not possible, its something I can live without.
I've read up on the other posts here, and while there's good recommendations, the posts are a bit outdated, so I was wondering if there are other, new options out there.
Will I also lose steering wheel controls as well? (ex. volume). Also, is this something that someone isn't very adept at these sorts of things could install, or would I need to take it into Best Buy or some other installation place.

Thanks!

·
Administrator
2011 Malibu LTZ 3.6L V6 Red Jewel Tintcoat
19,279 Posts
You might try Crutchfield. They have some really good offerings, especially since these tablet-like head units have become so common in cars.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You might try Crutchfield. They have some really good offerings, especially since these tablet-like head units have become so common in cars.
Thanks for the suggestion. They seem to have nice ones. If/when I do get one, how do you go about installing one? (Or do you just go to the dealer or somewhere)

·
Administrator
2011 Malibu LTZ 3.6L V6 Red Jewel Tintcoat
19,279 Posts
Crutchfield has installation kits for just about every vehicle out there, as well as adapters to keep the SWC (steering wheel controls) and the stock chimes/alerts.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Crutchfield has installation kits for just about every vehicle out there, as well as adapters to keep the SWC (steering wheel controls) and the stock chimes/alerts.
That’s great! Thanks so much for your help!

·
Registered
2015 Malibu 1LT with the 2.5L engine!
54 Posts
Let me know how it works for you! I have been eyeing them for a while because I would like in screen nav plus the other options!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Let me know how it works for you! I have been eyeing them for a while because I would like in screen nav plus the other options!
Totally! I plan on holding out a bit longer, since there’s quite a few options available, but when it’s all done I’ll update here

·
Registered
2015 Malibu 1LT with the 2.5L engine!
54 Posts
Have you thought of installing the 300$ module that displays your phone screen when hooked up?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
How interesting, I’ve never heard of that. Its a cool product, the gimmick seems to be that it can throw any HDMI input onto the screen in your car. Wouldn’t CarPlay be more useful? Since it’s designed around a car and such, seems a lot easier than replicating your phone screen. Though, you could put something like Netflix or something up onto your screen with that product ;)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts