Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm at my wits end. I took out the original stereo in my 2000 malibu(not the limited version) and put in a pioneer head unit. The radio wouldnt turn on at all so I put the factory radio back in and it won't turn on either. Wanting to get this over with a just bought ANOTHER new head unit and it's the same deal, no response whatsoever. It's all wired 100% correctly with butt connectors, my fuses have all been checked and I'm at a loss

·
Administrator
2011 Malibu LTZ 3.6L V6 Red Jewel Tintcoat
20,678 Posts
Did you check that there is power at the correct wires, and at the correct time (ie Hot Always, ACC, Run)? Without power no HU will turn on, and if power is not on the right wires (plural) at the right time it will still not turn on. On most aftermarket HUs there are 2 or 3 wires needing 12V power: Keep-alive memory needs Hot Always; On-Off needs ACC or Run; Display may require being hooked up to the IP dimmer.

After that, the speaker wires in an aftermarket HU need to go directly to the speakers or possibly an amp. Stock HU might be sending the output to a remote amp digitally (like newer models currently do) instead of in analog form, which means the new HU needs to either be wired straight to the speakers or be converted to a digital signal for the stock amp to use.

Another issue that might be happening is the ignition switch might have failed or been accidentally unplugged (wire disturbed). Your Gen Malibu has a common issue with the tumbler and/or switch failing so don't discount a failed part coincidental with your modification.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How would I go about checking to make sure all wires have power?

The HU is connected to a 1000 watt amp that has never had any issues so I'm assuming it's got power.

·
Administrator
2011 Malibu LTZ 3.6L V6 Red Jewel Tintcoat
20,678 Posts
Read the installation instructions. It will tell you how many wires for the new HU need power, and when they need it (ie, Hot always, ACC, Run, Dash lights) in order to operate properly. Then check those wires for power (voltage) being present. If it isn't then that's a pretty good indicator of what's wrong.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.