Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an aftermarket stereo I want to install in my 99'. I read somewhere on yahoo answers that you shoudn't remove the stock because it's tied into automatic locks and security. Is this true and how do I get around this? Thanks ahead of time--- Andrew. P.S. I'm going aftermarket cuz i just have a tape deck right now.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Installing an aftermarket stereo in your 99' Bu will not be a problem. The factory stereo is not tied into the door locks or security system. If you have a Bose system or steering wheel controls then you will need to purchase adapter(s) to interface with these systems. Otherwise you will need just a mount kit (99-4500), wire harness (70-1858) and antenna adapter (GM-10). The part numbers listed are for Metra.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Thanks, but what is metra?
metra is a company that makes the various wiring harness's and dash kits for stereo installations..

Places like Circuit City / Best Buy / Hi-Fi Buys usually carries these as well as if you look online like at Crutchfield.com you can buy the metra parts you need

·
Registered
644 Posts
I would suggest Crutchfield. They will ask you questions and make sure you get the right Kits. And if available, You can get a Install Sheet.

·
Registered
1 Posts
What about the stereo in the 06 models? Is it possible to find a newer model premium stereo (with the aux jack) and put it in the older 06 'bu?

·
Registered
22 Posts
What about the stereo in the 06 models? Is it possible to find a newer model premium stereo (with the aux jack) and put it in the older 06 'bu?
I don't think you can change your stereo with the newer model for a couple of reasons. One, your car has the DIC displayed through the stereo while the newer ones do not. Two, they have different wiring. Yours is a class 2 databus while the newer GM vehicles use the GM LAN system. Basically databus and LAN is the wiring interfacing the stereo to the cars computer system.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.