Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guy at parts store told me the kit I posted below is correct for my 2012 Malibu LS so just checking here to confirm?

My car has ok cold air, but it's not COLD so I'm wanting to use the kit and charge it up and see if it actually makes any difference lol.

I'm off to YouTube now to do some lernin ;)

Thanks for any help folks.

Liquid Fluid Aluminum can Font Tin

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Stop! do not use that kit unless you are very aware of the consequences. That is a mixture of propane and butane, very flammable, not the correct refrigerant.
R134a [the correct stuff] is available from Walmart.
Hmmm well back to Canadian Tire I go. Will return this stuff and get proper R134a.

If the kit is so dangerous why they sell it?

Thanks for help.

·
Premium Member
2,318 Posts
Did you just change your location? I swear that you location [flag under name] stated you were in the U.S. The correct refrigerant r134a is NOT available at walmart in Canada.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Did you just change your location? I swear that you location [flag under name] stated you were in the U.S. The correct refrigerant r134a is NOT available at walmart in Canada.
I use a rotating VPN and just got back from Walmart and pretty much just grabbed the same stuff, but different brand :rolleyes:

I need to recharge my ac and everyone I've talked to says this stuff is fine to use so unless you tell me why not to use it and give me an alternate product I'll be taking my chances with this stuff.

Thank you :)

Bottle Drink Liquid Alcoholic beverage Fluid

·
Premium Member
2,318 Posts
As I thought you were in the U.S. I advised you to put in the correct refrigerant which is r134a and available at Walmart. Now that I see you are situated in Canada I understand why the other refrigerant was recommended. All I can do is give you information and you are free to do what you will.

Mixing refrigerants is illegal.
The product you have [propane-butane mis] is very flammable but so is r134a is heated high enough.
Propane/butane is now being used in appliances such as refrigerators but the amount of refrigerant is very small.
Propane/butane is used much more in Europe as a refrigerant.
Propane/butane is more efficient than r134a.
Your ac system is not designed to use it, the size of the evaporator/condenser and the settings of the pressure sensors/computer are not designed for it.
It will work but....wonky. It may cool when the car is moving but less so when at a stand still.
In my experience I think you will be happy with it.

Alternative? Strangely r134a is available in Canada, but not in the typical refrigerant can needed to screw onto an ac gauge/manifold servicing tool.
Duster gas is often r134a. Sayal electronics sells it, as do other places. A side tap [available on amazon] can adapter is needed to pierce the side of the can to service ac systems.

Clear as mud.

·
Administrator
2011 Malibu LTZ 3.6L V6 Red Jewel Tintcoat
20,605 Posts
I got a laugh out of "everyone I've talked to" saying it's fine. Must've been what, 2 or 3 guys? How much do they know?

If it blows a hole in your AC lines or even the car, please share a video.

@Drunken Elvis is right on the money when he tells you whassup, and he isn't saying it's fine.

·
Super Moderator
2016 Malibu 1LT 1.5T/6-speed 6T40
3,993 Posts
I enjoyed the part about coming here for advice then once it was given the OP rejected it and deferred to that expert in the Walmart aisle.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I got a laugh out of "everyone I've talked to" saying it's fine. Must've been what, 2 or 3 guys? How much do they know?

If it blows a hole in your AC lines or even the car, please share a video.

@Drunken Elvis is right on the money when he tells you whassup, and he isn't saying it's fine.
I enjoyed the part about coming here for advice then once it was given the OP rejected it and deferred to that expert in the Walmart aisle.

I meant no disrespect fellas, perhaps I came across as crass and if so apologies.

Now I called a few places and was told these recharge cans are widely used here in Canada and work pretty good unless system is over filled.

Also @Drunken Elvis said In his experience I'd be happy with results so not sure why I'm being given shade here lol?

I don't have access to the same kits you fellas have down south or at least I don't think I do so I'm just looking to do the best with what I have available.

Thank you :)

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Oh and btw I checked the pressure in the low side of the system and it reads as "BLUE/FILLED" so I guess I'm going to have to take it in to have the whole system drained and refilled and then hopefully she will start blowing some REALLY cold air.

·
Administrator
2011 Malibu LTZ 3.6L V6 Red Jewel Tintcoat
20,605 Posts
Probably a lot of us have used those expedient kits with a gauge on them. What I've learned is that those gauges are not all that accurate, and they don't measure the high side or take into account all of the variables of the environment. Having the AC properly serviced is more likely to lead to a system that works well for a long time.

At least it wasn't just a bare can with you trying to guess-timate how much more to add.

·
Premium Member
3,011 Posts
These drop-in replacement ''freons'' do not work as well as the originals they replace. They are just stop gap remedies for gov. regulators. They will work but not as efficient as the original the system was designed for.
Experience with them as an appliance tech for decades.
If close to the border I would take a road trip south for the real stuff.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
These drop-in replacement ''freons'' do not work as well as the originals they replace. They are just stop gap remedies for gov. regulators. They will work but not as efficient as the original the system was designed for.
Experience with them as an appliance tech for decades.
If close to the border I would take a road trip south for the real stuff.
I'm only an hour or so from the boarder, but pass transgressions in my youth prevent me from crossing without a pardon unfortunately. Was nothing serious, just dumb stuff like public intoxication :rolleyes:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts