Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
I wouldn't consider buying that one.... But the other benefits of geetting a cold air intake is definitely the gas mileage increase. Every car that I have had in the past has had a CAI and I got 2-3 extra miles per gallon increase. The wow factor is nice too, because if you get a nice throaty exhaust system it gives it a little bit more sound and it also adds a "sucking in air" sound under the hood. The reason why I wouldn't buy that one is that it doesn't look legit. I like name brands because they have a backing that goes with the name. Thats just me and my two cents :D

·
Registered
139 Posts
If these are so beneficial to gas mileage then GM would be using them as original equipment.

For so little money they could then boast the 2.4 will get 36mpg instead of 33mpg. There's a reason why they dont use it.

·
Registered
493 Posts
If these are so beneficial to gas mileage then GM would be using them as original equipment.

For so little money they could then boast the 2.4 will get 36mpg instead of 33mpg. There's a reason why they dont use it.
And why is that?

So GM doesn't do an intake like this, what's your point? If you really take a look at the stock air intake system on these cars they have restrictions in them, a good CAI doesn't. Sure GM doesn't put in intake systems like this because they try to keep their costs to a certain level. but it doesn't mean that upgrading to a better air intake isn't worth the effort, every little bit helps.

·
Registered
71 Posts
And why is that?

So GM doesn't do an intake like this, what's your point? If you really take a look at the stock air intake system on these cars they have restrictions in them, a good CAI doesn't. Sure GM doesn't put in intake systems like this because they try to keep their costs to a certain level. but it doesn't mean that upgrading to a better air intake isn't worth the effort, every little bit helps.
GM doesn't use an aftermarket-like intake because of the increase in noise, heat sink from the engine bay, icing of the intake pipe during extreme cold and turbulence in the air flow.

I've built many muscle cars and a CAI would do nothing but cause problems with the Malibu.

For what? 2-4 horsepower on the top end.

·
Registered
94 Posts

Chevy offers one for the 2.4L Cobalt.... you should look at the site every once in a while. Plus a CAI is around 300 bucks for a good one. The one that was on the website was less then a hundred. I had one on my 07 Chevy cobalt Supercharged and I went from 29 mpg hwy to 33 mpgs. Its def worth it. Plus, it didnt void my warranty!!! :D

·
Registered
7 Posts
GM doesn't use an aftermarket-like intake because of the increase in noise, heat sink from the engine bay, icing of the intake pipe during extreme cold and turbulence in the air flow.

I've built many muscle cars and a CAI would do nothing but cause problems with the Malibu.

For what? 2-4 horsepower on the top end.
Sorry there is less turbulence with a aftermarket intake compared to the factory unit and those who've installed a CAI haven't had ANY problems with heat or icing of the pipes in cold weather. The whole point in a CAI is to get more air to the intake.

·
Registered
139 Posts
And why is that?

My point is they probably considered offering it but the advantages (if any) were not enough to outweigh the disadvantages. Just like every other aftermarket "goodie", there is give and take.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Well a muscle car, hmm, let's see how many models of muscle cars had an option for fresh air, 70 SS Malib LS6 and LS7 with optional Cowl Induction Hood, 80 and 81 Z28, 70 Pontiac GTO Ram Air, 74 Trans Am Ram Air, Several Fords with the Cobra Jet and a special air cleaner assembly, 68-70 Hurst Olds, and then Chrysler had several models that either had some type of scoop or a special air cleaner. All these besides a few more I can't remember showed a higher HP rating than a lesser model of that same car. Now from what I remember most builders would talk about cooler denser air for an engine is what you want to have and any means to get that.

Now lets turn the clock to today's cars, don't you think these cars can benefit from a cooler denser air charge? Yes and the added benefit is a slight improvement on MPG. Factory air intake systems are not smooth, they incorporate convoluted tubes and restrictions as well as a silencer, besides the small air inlet at the air filter box itself.

Now as far as noise goes, you only hear it if you have the throttle opened up pretty far and if you drive it in a normal fashion you really don't hear a CAI much.

So with a CAI you improve air flow to the throttle body over stock air intake, you get a little more in HP over stock and you can also get a little bit more MPG, even a small amount makes a difference to some.

·
Registered
493 Posts
My point is they probably considered offering it but the advantages (if any) were not enough to outweigh the disadvantages. Just like every other aftermarket "goodie", there is give and take.

GM never did, they are all about making as many cars possible and keeping their costs down, GM leaves it to the individual to do what they want to the vehicle they buy. GM has invested a lot of time and money into most of it's lines of cars and doesn't bother with these types of improvements since most people just buy a vehicle to drive for daily use. Granted GM has gotten into the performance parts offering with their own GM Performance Catalog but nothing from them is free.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I recommend a K&N or injen when they start making them.... right now I havent seen any on the market for our car. Give it a couple of more months till it comes out. I mean they just started to push aftermarket parts out for the car. It takes time for these things to come out for redesigned/new vehicles

·
Registered
50 Posts
With past cars I've owned, just getting everyone at a forum to email or comment to K&N or Injen can speed up the process of getting a product out. Downsides I have heard about with CAIs are: 1) CELs 2) Noise 3) Low value (is $300 for 2-5 HP at 5000 RPM and maybe a .5 MPG improvement really worth it?). Usually intakes are most useful in conjunction with a full exhaust system upgrade.

·
Registered
37 Posts
That's true hopefully they come with time. Maybe K&N, Injen and Borla will come out with CAI's and Intakes sometime this year for our BU. I am on the Borla waitlist which tells me thru email when they have an exhaust system for our car.

·
Registered
493 Posts
I've not had any issues with a CEL light nor the with the value. WHAT, noise, you only here the rush of air at the throttle body when you have the throttle opened up at close to WOT, drive around in a normal fashion and you hardly hear anything out of a CAI. I will say using a CAI would be benefitted by also PCM/ECU tuning and an exhaust system to allow the engine to breath even better. Someone you could ask about making a CAI and the cost for one would be Mark with MP Racing, www.mpracing.org/forum , he's usually looking for new models he can build CAI for at a more reasonable price than most other companies out there.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have an 04 with basically a costume CAI as it may be. And i get like maybe 1-2 miles of gas more. And alittle bit of sound buts thats it. It doesnt my cars performance it doesnt through any CELS nothing bad as happened and ive had it on there for months.

Almost all stock intakes are more restrictive than an aftermarket CAI. You can tell just by looking its that obvious.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I've not had any issues with a CEL light nor the with the value. WHAT, noise, you only here the rush of air at the throttle body when you have the throttle opened up at close to WOT, drive around in a normal fashion and you hardly hear anything out of a CAI. I will say using a CAI would be benefitted by also PCM/ECU tuning and an exhaust system to allow the engine to breath even better. Someone you could ask about making a CAI and the cost for one would be Mark with MP Racing, www.mpracing.org/forum , he's usually looking for new models he can build CAI for at a more reasonable price than most other companies out there.
Has there been any updates on this?

1 - 20 of 62 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.