Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I gave this issue much thought, i know it will not be cheap but in the end I believe I will love my car even more. I have to say I'm quite jealous of pretty much almost every new car that comes out now. Alot of them are stock with projectors. I seen a Honda Pilot with projectors and have to say I wish I had projectors. Why does the Malibu not come with projectors already? I dont know, 08 camrys had em. So in the upcoming months, I will be converting my stock headlights and the housing to a projector and also i will have white angel eyes to go with it. I love the look of it and i would love to have it. Any tips before i start?

·
Registered
493 Posts
One some have been complaining about the projector headlights and it's rumored that Congress was looking into a bill that could become a law dealing with projector headlights. There have been a few with older Malibu models who've done the Projector and angel eye conversion but you'll find them on only two sites, www.unitedmalibus.com and www.malibuclub.ca .

·
Registered
574 Posts
Is this "law" going to be for or against projectors?

·
Registered
574 Posts
Hmm... I thought projectors did just the opposite. Lol... Don't they PROJECT the light onto the road instead of oncoming traffic?

·
Registered
574 Posts
Yea, I kinda know what you mean, but it is only when they are really far away. And perhaps these freakishly flat roads in Florida prevent any type of angle that would project it up towards oncoming traffic too badly.

·
Registered
493 Posts
I think SEMA's SANS has gone over this with it's members and the fact that Congress is looking into this on projector headlighting. One thing I do know is that there have been talks about a standard all manufacturers will have to adhere to when it comes to headlights on all vehicles.

·
Registered
749 Posts
We have a lot of luxury vehicles in this area that have projector HID and a few LEDs... I have never been blinded by those that have been factory installed and aimed..

It's the aftermarket ones that you have to be worried about.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Ehh... Only some of the after-market ones.
I finally got around to moving the HID's into the headlights, and there is NO glare... Trust me, I think it is not only wrong, but very ricey looking to have glare coming out of after-market HIDs. I have found there is NONE when it comes to the stock housings for the Malibu. So, its not all aftermarket ones, only a select few that really... in all honesty don't even deserve to have HIDs in them.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
hey joe can you post a pic of your bu with the HIDs at night? and the stock headlight housings for the newer bu's seem to be a little projector ish dont you think? its like a oversized projector thats really a reflector

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Stock lights work for me, seems like a hassle and expensive to change the lights, all the Ricers around here have them and blind you :rolleyes:

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Stock lights work for me, seems like a hassle and expensive to change the lights, all the Ricers around here have them and blind you :rolleyes:
True, it is a hassle to change and can be quite expensive, and I know what you mean with the glare. I see it alot in 90s Hondas and Acura Integras. Those idiots just stick in the HID bulb in the stock housing and blind us all. Honestly I haven't encountered any glare from projectors. All the newer cars around here have em and it doesn't bother me when they drive in the opposite direction. I just want to change the lights to increase visibility and add a little more of me with the angel eyes. I plan on getting 4300k in the housing. Thats pretty much pure white which would be like daylight in front of me at night and I plan on getting some yellow foglights to go with it. From what i've read, yellow is actually one of the best colors to use during fog and at night time driving and the blueish blubs are actually producing less visible light onto the actual roads. I had a quick question for anyone who can answer it, are the cobalt headlights ingterchangeable with the malibus? Shape wise they look the same and if they are then I can order this projector housing with the angels i saw online for cobalts and just swap out my stock bu housing.

·
Registered
749 Posts
I believe the Malibu's headlights are larger than the Cobalt's.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

·
Registered
749 Posts
Yeah I had those in my Cobalt (Although I had the previous generation)... they aren't as great as expected.. you're better off keeping the regular headlights.. believe me.

Plus, it's WICKED hard to change the headlamps in the Malibu.. I understand it requires removing the entire bumper. :-(

You might just be better off waiting for one to be made for the Malibu..

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yeah I had those in my Cobalt (Although I had the previous generation)... they aren't as great as expected.. you're better off keeping the regular headlights.. believe me.

Plus, it's WICKED hard to change the headlamps in the Malibu.. I understand it requires removing the entire bumper. :-(

You might just be better off waiting for one to be made for the Malibu..
what was wrong with it? was the actual housing crappy? oh yeah i called sales yesterday and they said a housing is being made for the newer malibus so im gonna just wait for those

·
Registered
749 Posts
The housing was fine it's that they didn't project light very well.. and I had the HID's 'professionally' installed into them too.. w/e though the malibu's will probably be the newer generation projectors and'll probably work better

·
Registered
389 Posts
The law most likely will not be to to ban projectors but to ban HIDs in not projector headlight housings. This has been a huge problem but if you put them in a stock headlight then you just need to make sure 1. it does not scatter the light everywhere as most do but some do not. 2. aim them down a little so you do not blind others.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.