Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi- I'm new here, just wondering if anyone has ideas.

My '09 LT2 is great in almost every way, but there is a problem where Bluetooth won't stay connected to my phone. At this point, the problem may be tied to either the Bluetooth functionality/Onstar, or my provider (Verizon). I don't think the phone is to blame, since I've tried both a Motorola W385 and LG VX8350, and they both do the same thing.

I got the car in September, set up my phone by pairing it, and handsfree worked fine for about 6 weeks, until this past Monday. The problem is that no matter what, the phone connects to BT and immediately disconnects. Very annoying. The result is that when I try to use voice commands, the message is, "i'm sorry, but there are no paired phones." I've called Onstar, who pointed me to calling Chevrolet. They recommended an Onstar software upgrade by my dealer. They had a chance last week, but couldn't really get to the heart of the problem- and they didn't do anything. I didn't have time to wait, so we pretty much said we'd both go off and do some research. So here I am. Frustrating that I can't even figure out which entity might help.

I changed my phone based on the GM compatibility list, as my older Moto phone was not listed as compatible. So I was able to successfully pair this one as well, but it won't stay connected.

I fear that Verizon is trying to mess with me. Last Friday I got an email regarding the VZ Family Plan add-your-vehicle as a line for $9.99/month, and this started happening on Monday. Why would BT work fine and then just stop like this? I'll appreciate any of your thoughts!

·
Registered
54 Posts
I have the same exact problem with mine and it just needs a software upgrade. Dealer can arrange to have this done.

·
Premium Member
915 Posts
I have the same exact problem with mine and it just needs a software upgrade. Dealer can arrange to have this done.
Did that fix yours, then?

A few weeks with my '09, and my random Samsung phone (never listed on any of the GM Bluetooth sites, of course, which I didn't expect) connects the second I start the car and has never had a blip. So any disconnecting, etc. definitely is not normal and hopefully the fix is simple.

For years of the '05+ Cadillac STS being the sole GM vehicle with factory Bluetooth, owners went through a lot of trials, LOTS of software updates, revised phone compatibility lists, etc. bringing us to today. The current system seems instantly better, but there for sure will be blips like this along the way.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
CDN Girl, thanks- I'm curious to see if it helps. Did Chevrolet support direct you in that direction? Also, I'd be interested if there is any information that would be helpful to d]bring to my dealer.

I'll stay tuned.

·
Registered
54 Posts
My dealer was actually no help to me at all. I had to call MASS electronics myself and they told me that I needed the upgrade after I explained my problem. I called the dealer and told them that I had called MASS myself and the dealer has now booked them into come and do the upgrade.

·
Registered
126 Posts
My dealer was actually no help to me at all. I had to call MASS electronics myself and they told me that I needed the upgrade after I explained my problem. I called the dealer and told them that I had called MASS myself and the dealer has now booked them into come and do the upgrade.
Glad to hear that you found what the problem is. I hope the upgrade fixes the solution. Keep us posted thankfully I have had no problems with my bluetooth. Except of course of phone disconnects after making a voice call.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Very interesting- what is MASS electronics? They might be the only people I haven't talked to yet. I'm hoping my dealer can learn from this too.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Not sure where you are located but in ontario they(MASS) are the people that the dealership will call for any radio or electronics type issues.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hey there CDN Girl-

Anything to share? I was hoping to hear good news on your scheduled SW upgrade.

I did look up MASS electronics, they appear to be a third party provider of electronic subsystems and accessories, to dealers only- and appear to be ON-based, which makes sense where you are. I just hope that my dealer can find someone to help out too.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Well the update didnt seem to fix the problem. I now have to make another appointment to have them come in while I am there to see if they can figure out the problem. I dont think that the dealer relayed to proper information to the technician. IMO ofcourse.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi, Folks...

I also experienced Bluetooth unpairing. I took my Malibu in yesterday to upgrade the OnStar software. This was the first they had heard of the problem, but after a call to whoever they call for tech support, they came up with an upgrade that took about a half hour to download to the ecm.

IT WORKED!

Ask your dealer to check for PIC5016A.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well, that is disappoinitng. I'm sorry for both of us.

I guess, like anything, it is starting to look like a case of an early release of a product that wasn't ready. Also, the combination (I'm not an expert, but based on what I read...) of the Bluetooth and Onstar interfaces seems to make it possible for Chevy, Onstar, and the wireless provider to pass the buck around while the problem remains unfixed. Needless to say I'm frustrated as well. One of the pretty attractive features of the vehicle has suddenly been taken away.

I will try to contact Chevrolet again and see what they say. I don't have unlimited time to pursue this, and I hope to get it taken care of before GM does whatever it is that hey have to do in this financial climate. I am getting a little scared of the news reports having just bought this car.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I have a similar problem. My phone looses connection to the car when the phone is in the front cup holders or near the drivers door... also, twice for no reason i had to re pair the phone as it wouldnt connect at all. still lists the phone under devices but wont pair to it anymore. its not a prob with the phones (whether or not its on the "approved list") as I am a manager for Verizon. Going to the dealer to see what they can do. They have 7 issues with my new bu... not good as this is my first gm product. starting to leave a sour taste in my mouth...

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
My phone looses connection to the car when the phone is in the front cup holders or near the drivers door... also, twice for no reason i had to re pair the phone as it wouldnt connect at all. still lists the phone under devices but wont pair to it anymore. its not a prob with the phones (whether or not its on the "approved list") as I am a manager for Verizon. Going to the dealer to see what they can do. They have 7 issues with my new bu... not good as this is my first gm product. starting to leave a sour taste in my mouth...
Hi JRB, thanks for your input- I was just wondering if your disconnection problem is specific to where your phone is. I mean, the drivers side door and cup holder are really the only places I have my phone when driving. Also, and forgive me for all the questions, but I also want to pinpoint the issue since Chevy is having a hard time; is your phone able to connect automatically at any time? Mine seems to connect but disconnect immediately. I gave up in rep-airing it every time, but I have one more thing to try if I pair it again, and that is to see if any additional menu options on the phone are available while it is connected. I was told again at Verizon that it can't be the phone, but I guess I am believing that too.

·
Registered
3 Posts
My first post didn't appear until the next day because I am a new member and got a message that it had to be approved by an administrator. Anyway, I have a phone that IS on the "list" (Samsung SYNC). I was able to pair the phone and successfully made a call. The next time I tried, I got the "sorry, no paired phones" message. I was able to re-pair with a new tag, but I assumed it unpaired when I left the car. I called both Chevy customer service and OnStar, and they both told me it was an issue that could be corrected with a software update. BTW, I asked for a service bulletin number, But they wouldn't give it to me.

I called the dealer and asked the service manager to research the problem and scheduled an appointment. When I took the car in, he said he had come across a service bulletin, but now was unable to locate it. After a call to Chevrolet, the tech working on my car was able to get a service bulletin number which was specific to this problem. It took about 30 minutes to download. I was able to pair the phone at the dealership and it has stayed paired ever since.

I called the service manager for the service bulletin number so I could post it here:

PIC5016A

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Hi JRB, thanks for your input- I was just wondering if your disconnection problem is specific to where your phone is. I mean, the drivers side door and cup holder are really the only places I have my phone when driving. Also, and forgive me for all the questions, but I also want to pinpoint the issue since Chevy is having a hard time; is your phone able to connect automatically at any time? Mine seems to connect but disconnect immediately. I gave up in rep-airing it every time, but I have one more thing to try if I pair it again, and that is to see if any additional menu options on the phone are available while it is connected. I was told again at Verizon that it can't be the phone, but I guess I am believing that too.

Yeah, not sure. It happends mainly in the main cup holders (by the shifter) though and they are right below the bluetooth reciever. I have no idea but when i bring it in for the other issues im having with my car i am going to mention the bluetooth issue and see what they think... :p

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
My first post didn't appear until the next day because I am a new member and got a message that it had to be approved by an administrator. Anyway, I have a phone that IS on the "list" (Samsung SYNC). I was able to pair the phone and successfully made a call. The next time I tried, I got the "sorry, no paired phones" message. I was able to re-pair with a new tag, but I assumed it unpaired when I left the car. I called both Chevy customer service and OnStar, and they both told me it was an issue that could be corrected with a software update. BTW, I asked for a service bulletin number, But they wouldn't give it to me.

I called the dealer and asked the service manager to research the problem and scheduled an appointment. When I took the car in, he said he had come across a service bulletin, but now was unable to locate it. After a call to Chevrolet, the tech working on my car was able to get a service bulletin number which was specific to this problem. It took about 30 minutes to download. I was able to pair the phone at the dealership and it has stayed paired ever since.

I called the service manager for the service bulletin number so I could post it here:

PIC5016A

Hope this helps!
Wow- great work, thanks very much. I hope to run this by my dealer and see if they can do the update soon. I'll post back.

Thanks again to everyone who gave their assistance.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well, I called my dealer last Monday and asked them to investigate the TSB, but have not heard back. I've been too busy to get back to them, but there seems to be a disconnect. I'll keep at it.

As an aside, it is getting sad- the status of customer service in this country has really gone to ... handbasket. Every week I have to devote several calls to complain, Just saying...

1 - 20 of 53 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.