Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have attached a picture of the radio display in the 09 bu LT2 with the upgrade CD etc. You folks at GM need to get these cars out in the daylight before putting them out in the public. Look at this display, it has reflections so bad that the time is not readable due to reflections from the Passenger window. And the Left side of the display is blocked out by reflections from the Rear Window.

I suggest not using the shiny plastic display like all the new laptops. Use the matte finish screens like the GOOD laptops. Also these fluorescent tube lettering will burn out ...then what.

I suggest some serious rethinking on these electronic displays etc. Try going to a street rod show...and think AUTOMETER gauges. BIG WHITE FACED gauges with bright RED needles to read.

These Center Stacks need to be CANTED (tilted) towards the DRIVER to the point of being perpendicular to the driver when they look at the center stack. This would help with the reflections enormously. Think Pilots Cockpit here.....I used to have last model Ford Probe and the entire dash was curved around the driver for their use. Stack was tilted and curved just for the drivers reach and sight. Not one reflection in that dash.

Attachments

·
Registered
512 Posts
Re: Ancy GM folks lurking out there

In all honesty, you must've cleaned your display very, very well. I have the same screen in my '07, and I can see the information displayed at all times.

·
Registered
171 Posts

Can't say as I suffer from this problem either.

·
Registered
114 Posts

Also these fluorescent tube lettering will burn out ...then what.
I think the display is LED.

What gets me is the chrome trim. It looks nice and all but that stuff catches the sun and about blinds me sometimes.

·
Premium Member
714 Posts

I would suggest redoing the display completely...Kinda looks like a 5 year old microwave :)

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

I would suggest redoing the display completely...Kinda looks like a 5 year old microwave :)
Yes, GM has been getting a lot of flak for these dashes lately. The new CAMARO has been lambasted for its hokey dash since the pics of it first surfaced.

They need to get away from the electroluminescent flashy little kiddish dashes and get back to big white gauges with black lettering and red indicator needles that can be read day or night. Then they wouldn't need these green shiny pieces of plastic to cover them.

Otherwise the 'bu is fantastic,,,,just the little niddling things stand out even more I guess. But these reflection thingys should be know to ALL car designers by now. It should be written on their walls or their managers walls for any interior designer.

·
Registered
512 Posts

A whole new dash and center stack as well as a brand new Malibu will apparently debut in 2010. And considering GM's latest center stack designs, it will be absolutely stunning, with a radio or nav. display screen at the top.

Like this...

2010 Chevrolet Cruze (LT or LTZ)

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Yes, thats a nice dash set up. It looks like the screen in this pic has a MATTE finish rather than a GLOSSY finish. That would help a lot. But I still like the cockpit set up with the center stack Tilted towards the driver.

I think these designers would do well to NEVER use anything with a Shiny surface. Chrome, Stainless etc. in the dash. Always use the Brushed look surface such as the metal-look parts in these 08/09 dashes.

·
Registered
512 Posts

Yes, thats a nice dash set up. It looks like the screen in this pic has a MATTE finish rather than a GLOSSY finish. That would help a lot. But I still like the cockpit set up with the center stack Tilted towards the driver.

I think these designers would do well to NEVER use anything with a Shiny surface. Chrome, Stainless etc. in the dash. Always use the Brushed look surface such as the metal-look parts in these 08/09 dashes.
Yeah...but the center stack being tilted towards the driver died in the late 90s...

As per my '98 Sonoma's cockpit set up...

·
Registered
701 Posts

Actually this was one of the things I liked about my 05 GP, the centre stack was turned in towards the driver quite abit.....Made it much easier to see.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

Exactly, and the gauges in his truck are great..READABLE witout having to stop and actually "read" the numbers. With the big red needles all you need to do is scan quickly and you can tell if one of the needles is "out of normal position".

With the center stack tilted towards the driver then kicked out a bit at the bottom the view is perpendicular which rids of all reflections.

Dont know why they face the stack to the center....no one sits there. Unless you have your invisible rabbit friend "Harvey" with you a lot.

But maybe its an auto interior designer thing. Sort of like all Architects are seemingly required design all new homes with a fireplace directly in the center of a wall in your living room and ruin it for your 60 inch TV. They are apparently about 10 years behind times.

·
Registered
701 Posts

Hey - Leave Harvey out of this....He is a great guy and did nothing to you! LOL :OP

·
Registered
512 Posts
Now now...Harvey enjoys listening to the radio. You can't deny him access to that.
Awww...cute wittle rabbit Harvey. :D

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Now now...Harvey enjoys listening to the radio. You can't deny him access to that.
Awww...cute wittle rabbit Harvey. :D
Nah, I wouldnt hurt your Harvey. I just would like the GM designers to stop burying all their gauges down inside these pods. Would like to have big WHITE AutoMeter gauges with big Red indicator needles.

And they could use the matte finish plastic faceplates rather than the glossy ones.

But I keep Harvey with me at times also.

·
Registered
701 Posts
Nah, I wouldnt hurt your Harvey. I just would like the GM designers to stop burying all their gauges down inside these pods. Would like to have big WHITE AutoMeter gauges with big Red indicator needles.

And they could use the matte finish plastic faceplates rather than the glossy ones.

But I keep Harvey with me at times also.
Mr. Bill....

Just a thought and might be something you want to look into. I know they make overlays for laptop screens to cut down on glare, I wonder if you could buy one cut it to size and put it over top of the display on the radio and if this would eliminate the problem.

Just a thought, as it really seems to be a "bee in your bonnett" LOL

·
Premium Member
915 Posts
All I can add is that this is bizarre. I've NEVER had an issue seeing the Malibu's radio display, in any kind of light, or from either side. I sometimes do a little in my G6 with the matte finish screen and red lighting, and really did in a former vehicle with a Pioneer aftermarket unit that had a glossy screen and barely lit greenish white numbering, but nada in the Malibu.

Not to say that the sun doesn't catch it once in a while and wash it out, but it's just never something that's been an issue here. I'll keep the glossy screen too, which looks much better than a matte version would, at least with the rest of the dash...but if it bothers you, there are a few different things you could probably do with the screen via coatings or stick on sheets of some sort.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
All I can add is that this is bizarre. I've NEVER had an issue seeing the Malibu's radio display, in any kind of light, or from either side. I sometimes do a little in my G6 with the matte finish screen and red lighting, and really did in a former vehicle with a Pioneer aftermarket unit that had a glossy screen and barely lit greenish white numbering, but nada in the Malibu.

Not to say that the sun doesn't catch it once in a while and wash it out, but it's just never something that's been an issue here. I'll keep the glossy screen too, which looks much better than a matte version would, at least with the rest of the dash...but if it bothers you, there are a few different things you could probably do with the screen via coatings or stick on sheets of some sort.
Thanks for the suggestions....looking into some things. Im thinking its likely do to me being short. 5'6. And coming out of a Ford Focus. The Focus has big windows and it had what is termed "stadium seating" where you sit up high and can see really good.

The Malibu has the smaller windows and has a high belt line like the Chrysler 300. The windows are much smaller than my Focus by almost 2 inches vertically, and I have the seat ALL the Way UP to get the same feel and view as I had before...this likely has me looking Down on the radio screen and puts it in line of the rear window for reflections.

I may have to lower the seat , but then it is uncomfortable to put my arm out the window and I feel uncomfy by not being able to see well.

But I guess ill adjust or may have to trade off the new 09....well see.

·
Registered
12 Posts

Actually this was one of the things I liked about my 05 GP, the centre stack was turned in towards the driver quite abit.....Made it much easier to see.
I traded in an '06 GP GXP for the 'bu and while I liked the GP instruments tilted towards the driver, it was a constant stream of complaints from the passenger (i.e. the wife) ... "what time is it?", "what's the temperature?", "what direction are we going?", "Why can't I see anything?" ... :rolleyes:

BTW, the HUD on the GXP was astounding. I miss it greatly, and think it should be an option on more cars.

·
Registered
701 Posts

I traded in an '06 GP GXP for the 'bu and while I liked the GP instruments tilted towards the driver, it was a constant stream of complaints from the passenger (i.e. the wife) ... "what time is it?", "what's the temperature?", "what direction are we going?", "Why can't I see anything?" ... :rolleyes:

BTW, the HUD on the GXP was astounding. I miss it greatly, and think it should be an option on more cars.

For me it was safer, as she would lean over and say "hey do you know how fast you are going?" LOL - Gave me some protection from her seeing the speedometer...LOL

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.