Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

61 - 80 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
bought new in 09, loved the hankook tires, wish i would of replaced therm with same. only issues i've had was a converter at about 60k. which i believe was my doing. other than that an exhaust, just replaced alternator, after 211, 000. minor issue with temp. sensor, still going strong, but kid's beatin the heck out of the body!!

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have had no major issues. Just noticing a little jerking when starting from stop but mainly when running the air. Or maybe the tranny has a small slip in it. Knock on wood it is just from air running. Seems either compressor or something making a rattling noise when air is on but stops when air is off. Might have to check level in system to see if maybe low. Otherwise it has been a great car. Want to see what i can get out of it for milage. I am hoping 450,000-500,000. Just turned 314,000. With about 850-900 a week will not take long. Keep my fingers crossed I can get there.

·
Administrator
17,294 Posts
While your '05 isn't a Gen7, it's still good to see folks driving their cars well past what was considered too old as recent as the 1990s.

My '11 is "only" at 138,xxx. Back before 1990 I would have been looking to replace it, but it's still quite serviceable and comfortable.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Well just turned 330,000 on my 12 Malibu LT. A couple months ago I replaced my origional alternator. I would really like to see what mileage I can get on this original engine and transmission car.

·
Registered
7 Posts
My 05 Malibu Maxx ls just turned 335,000 on original engine n trans .the guys at the shop are always in shock. Chevy on the other had told me it can't have that many miles. I m getting control arms and links replaced factory the factory alternator replaced last year

·
Registered
156 Posts
Up to 311k on mine. Had to replace a rear wheel bearing this fall. And the rotors are warped... yet again... after doing new brake lines, calipers, pads and rotors all the way around this spring because it would warp a set of rotors in 5k miles. Grr.

·
Registered
118 Posts
162,000 Km's approx. 100,000 miles
Just an update: 330,000 km's as of last week. roughly 205,000 miles, still going good...

Maint/Repair items from 100-200k miles...
  • Three wheel bearings (2 drivers side, one was economy and lasted maybe a year
  • tie rods (new to the list of repairs approx 2 months ago)
  • Typical wear and tear (break pads all around every 75k-90k) and rotors once, (90% highway, so not on the brakes too much)
  • headlights a bunch of times (5-6 times i think, used to be every 6-8 months), but been good since finding that one DRL corner orange that was burnt out (about a year and a half now)
  • blower motor once, but been going good since
  • trans fluid flushed and replaced at 160,000 km
  • oil changed every 10k-ish (will burn maybe 1/2 litre between changes)
Issues:
  • Steering wheel control buttons are beginning to wear, during extremely hot days, scroll up and volume down will work every so often until it cools down. May swap it out for an old kenwood double din radio with nav... undecided on it
  • Drivers side door speaker blown
I'm sure I'm missing something or forgetting, but overall haven't had to do much to it in the last 4.5 years.

·
Registered
5 Posts
how many miles do you have?
I got 200k Replaced Water Pump, Replaced Head Gasker , Replaced Throttle body, replaces cam shaft sensor and exhaust sensor , replaced break pads more then 10 times replaced only front rotors twice , replaced thermostat finna get another oil change and plan on driveing it 488k miles in 2 weeks have anyone drove that far in a 09 Chevy Malibu 2.4l?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Up to 311k on mine. Had to replace a rear wheel bearing this fall. And the rotors are warped... yet again... after doing new brake lines, calipers, pads and rotors all the way around this spring because it would warp a set of rotors in 5k miles. Grr.
I just replaced my rear wheel bearing too on the right side

·
Administrator
17,294 Posts
I got 200k Replaced Water Pump, Replaced Head Gasker , Replaced Throttle body, replaces cam shaft sensor and exhaust sensor , replaced break pads more then 10 times replaced only front rotors twice , replaced thermostat finna get another oil change and plan on driveing it 488k miles in 2 weeks have anyone drove that far in a 09 Chevy Malibu 2.4l?
Brake pads over 10 times in 200K miles? Something is wrong with either the car or your driving style, or else you deliver newspapers, which will kill a car dead in no time. I have 142K on my 2011 and have replaced the rotors once, brake pads twice.

Must be a typo about planning to drive it an additional 288K miles in 2 weeks. That is just not possible. Maybe you can tell us a little more so we can understand what you actually mean.

·
Super Moderator
4,641 Posts
Brake pads over 10 times in 200K miles? Something is wrong with either the car or your driving style, or else you deliver newspapers, which will kill a car dead in no time. I have 142K on my 2011 and have replaced the rotors once, brake pads twice.

Must be a typo about planning to drive it an additional 288K miles in 2 weeks. That is just not possible. Maybe you can tell us a little more so we can understand what you actually mean.
@BasedLord, ya gotta stop putting "k" after all your numbers, man! Lmao. 488k miles = 488,000 miles. I know you meant 488 miles, but you did that in your other post too, and it's confusing people.

·
Administrator
17,294 Posts
Thank you @cp-the-nerd.

I've been elevated to a people!

·
Registered
5 Posts

I’m gonna be driving 1k miles next week and I have 180k but estimated it to 200k because it’s not far from it. but I just got an oil change today and it’s driving like it’s brand new. I just want someone advice do they think il have anything to worry about driving my Chevy Malibu for 6 hours straight

·
Administrator
17,294 Posts
Driving for 6 hours straight? Sure, you'll have an issue! You'll probably be better off turning the steering wheel now and then to stay in your lane. LOL

OK, joking aside, as @cp-the-nerd mentions, so long as it's running as it should at present, a long trip is usually easier on a car than shorter trips. Have some extra oil with you and check the level after each fill-up. (After finishing the fill-up, to let the oil drain into the pan.) Don't overfill the oil, and don't let it get too low.

I have 142K on my car and would not hesitate to drive anywhere if the need or opportunity were to present itself.

·
Registered
19 Posts
107k on my 09 3.6 LTZ. Had a new transmission at about 80k and replaced one catalytic converter after that. About a year ago I had all four lock mechanisms changed as my locks all went spastic intermittently. That cost about $1,200 and was well worth it. My BU runs like a champ, quick off the line. I made three round trips from Northern Illinois to South Florida and had no problems. I’m retired now so the miles are low and local. Hoping to keep running her four another 4 1/2 years till hubby’s Jeep is paid.

·
Registered
10 Posts
275,000 miles on an 09 Malibu HYBRID It been an awesome experience. Bought it in Jan 2016 247,000 miles on it from a state surplus auction. I've put rotors, 4 struts, 4 brakes, 2 new lower control arms, belt, ac clutch, windshield, tires, fob, oil, headlights, & I'm finally having an issue mechanically a slight high idle service hybrid code P0507 still runs out well & oesn't missa whatsoever. The idle stays at 2000 or 2500 or even 3000 if you touch the gas in neutral once warm. Got to take it to the dealer I'm assuming. Not getting it fig'd out myself.

61 - 80 of 80 Posts