Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Any way to get a firmer shift from 3.6L 6 speed auto?

10K views 20 replies 7 participants last post by  JramsLTZ 
#1 ·
My 08 runs/ functions fine. The trans feels like what a buick should shift like for a old person. I have drained/ filled the trans 2 times with fluid, no change. Anyone know of a programmer or something that can allow me to firm up the shift some?

#4 ·
Unfortunately I concur, it shifts sloppy. The cars paddle shifters give false pretense to a more sporty mode than it has to offer. I have discussed this with modders around my area and they won't touch my car, if I have an F-body things would be different. I believe what your looking for would be something like a shift kit. I had a B&M shift kit, slap shift with a turbo 400 tranny in my pontiac GTA, it was an automatic but the second I shifted gears so did the car, with absolutely no hesitation. Being that the shift points are all electronically controlled I'm not sure how to tweak it without hurting the functionally for the car and it daily driving aspect. Also in the 87 GTA I had a problem with busting tranny mounts in two.

If anything starship would offer far better advice than myself, (didn't mean to throw you under the bus Starship).

#3 ·
Is this something that your Aura didn't used to do when new? What do the SaturnFans guys have to say? BTW, you may as well update your vehicle information in User CP so we can tell what exactly you have. You can actually say something other than "Malibu," you know?

#5 ·
I have a thread I started a while back and may or may not be useful to you but if I do this right the link should work:
http://www.chevymalibuforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6336

I'd say their was a healthy debate here, even minor name calling. But the fact I guess still stands, which is unpleasant. Aftermarket companies are not interested in the malibu.

#9 ·
So let me get this right. You have USED it, and said on here it sucked many times. Yet you tell a member to use it, then have the nerve to call me a dick and tell me to be a better Admin? I was saving him the trouble since they are KNOWN not to work.

Enjoy your 10 day vacation, and grow up. One more immature comment and you will be gone for good. You need to learn how to talk to members....

#10 ·
Now, I'm not sure what exactly is the issue. Is it the shifts are slow, as in takes too long for the actual engagement of the next gear, or is too quick to upshift and too slow to downshift? You know the former is the torque management which is made possible by the throttle-by-wire. Unlike the old days, a shift is a careful orchestration of the throttle as well as clutches. The way I understand it, the clutches in the newer transmissions aren't as robust as the old since they don't have to take the same punishment.

The latter, the tendency to pick the tallest gear in any given load, is obviously programming for economy. I'm surprised that they didn't include a switch for performance setting.

#11 ·
Indeed, one would think if you put it in (M) mode the car might naturally go into a peformance mode. It doesn't though.

If I drive her a little hard, for ex. O to as fast as it goes using the shifters, on the up shifts the car shifts when it feels ready, which can be 1-2 sec. after shifting. It seems to be fine on down shifts for me.

#13 · (Edited)
Jet Chip has many different products and thus there's no way JramsLTZ could have evaluated them all. I know he has a custom CAI with a Jet Chip product that manipulates the MAF sensor input (to compensate for unmetered air). He thought it was "junk," i.e., didn't net him any appreciable power, and wasn't shy calling it that. However, it's possible that there may be a gem in their "Transmission Performance" line. It's certainly intriguing and relevant to the OP's query.

P.S. In case you are wondering, the MAF sensor input cannot be finessed with a resistor like IAT or ECT which are simple thermistors.

#15 ·
Starship,
You bring up an interesting idea! IS there a way to modify the MAF output to the PCM? If there is the we might be able research, or do our own experimenting.

To do our own, what would be needed? I have a DVOM and the Actron reader that can also reset codes, but I don't think it's what you refer to as scanner. Is there something that can plug into the OBD II port and be watched on a live computer screen? Can that "video" be captured for later review? Can that be used to finesse the table(s) in the PCM? And how would we go about storing the factory programming so we can restore it later in case our edits didn't work how we wanted?

#16 ·
Wouldn't it make more sense to reprogram the PCM to alter what the car DOES with the MAF input, rather than diddle with the MAF input?

As to what you're looking for - there's several ODBII data loggers out there. There's a USB adapter on fleaBay right now ( http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_nkw=obdii+USB+&_fscr=1&_trksid=p3286.c0.m19 shows several ) that's also supported by the open source data loggers. These all show instantaneous data, which might do if you have someone driving while you're looking.

They also make Bluetooth adapters. There's even a set for the iGizmo (iPhone, iPod, iPad) users - such as at http://forums.tccoa.com/showthread.php?t=133922 for a description of one in action, showing it in action.

RwP

#17 ·
Here is how I feel it shifts. If I drive the car in a normal form say leaving for a night out, etc. and in no hurry I find it upshifts very soon in RPM range and very sluggishly to a point of not feeling any shift. I many times feel myself needing to “step on it” as I am going below the speed limit because the ECU has gotten the trans in such a high gear the engine is lugging so bad, etc. In all the final result is I feel like an old guy going too slow and catch myself needing to “step on it” and I attribute it to not holding gears long enough and wanting to get me in the highest gear possible and get the engine down to 1,200 RPM. Thus any type of incline in roadway, etc slows the car easy. So, in retrospect if I compare it to our 09 Accord V6 the Accord if you show the slightest amount of additional throttle more than normal will hold a gear and when it shifts it is much more strong. I can live with the sloshy shift if I had to choose between the two items but would prefer it hold a given gear for a bit more RPM’s. and be more "spirited" in downshifting on my behalf in automatic mode. Hell I assume these engines have a usable RPM range from 600- 4,500 RPM’s. I would bet under normal driving if you let the trans shift as it wishes and don’t consciously “push the car” the ECU tries very hard not allow the engine to exceed 1,400 RPM’s. Heck my daughters 99 Grand Prix GTP with 199k miles on the original trans has a “performance switch” and it makes it hold the gears longer and by default had a much crisper/ firm shift. Also, I have a $200 programmer for my 03 Superduty F350 that “interviews” you when you set it up for the RPM you want each gear shift to happen at. That would sure be nice. Will I sell the car because of it, no. Just thought I would bounce it off folks on a forum and if I find something I will be sure to post it. Thanks for everyone’s constructive input.

#20 ·
There are always going to be those who just pop in, ask for help or gripe about something, and then disappear. It guess it's their right to do so on a forum like this. Also, I understand that this isn't the doctor's office where you have to be truthful all the way. But, is it too much to ask for some courtesy to answer questions from those who took the time to respond? I asked:

Is this something that your Aura didn't used to do when new? What do the SaturnFans guys have to say? BTW, you may as well update your vehicle information in User CP so we can tell what exactly you have. You can actually say something other than "Malibu," you know?

#21 ·
Honestly getting more horsepower and responsive shifts out of a 4 cylinder is a little challenging but getting more horsepower and to firm up the shifts from the 3.6 liter V6 is a little bit easier! look for those that have been confused about my response in the past about the jet products. When I would say that the jet products where junk you can see I ended the sentences with a wink and a smile! I thought most people could see I was just joking with my response! Look I still have the jet performance products in my car! They have worked for me over the many,many months now and that's really all I can say about that!
I have even posted a recent video showing what I have done!

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.