Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

21 - 40 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
This is why I wouldn't touch a rental with a ten foot pole, ABUSE :mad: no telling what the car has gone thru.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kz22dZa0wX0
Hell, I know of some mechanics and car jockeys at dealership service departments that have done worse things to customers' cars!:eek:

So, I guess we'd better add cars that have been serviced at dealerships to that list.

OK.... what's next? Bank repossessed cars? :D

·
Registered
134 Posts
I essentially would never touch a Rental, to own thereafter.

However, I needed a second car, and the price was right, so I took the chance. My car has been great to me, I'm very happy to say.

For my primary car, I'd never get a Rental, my piece-of-mind would never be at ease. However, for an economical second-car that I'd seek, if the price was right, and it checked out initially, and there was a long/solid enough Warranty, sure, I'd do it again.

·
Registered
52 Posts
There is a dealer near me that is part of a bigger automotive group that offer a smoking deal on used cars, even rentals. If the car is less than 5 years old and less than 50k miles it comes with a lifetime warranty on the powertrain for free. And for about $800 you can get that extended to bumper to bumper. It's not one of those crap warranties either, they stand behind their work and their word and have been around for quite a while. They have this deal on all new cars as well.

·
Administrator
16,881 Posts
Wow, that's a heck of a warranty deal! When they're offering something of that much worth for that price it's worth goin' down there to check it out.

If I hadn't just gotten mine I'd be asking you where you are to see if it's close enough to consider!

·
Registered
171 Posts
I would never, ever buy an ex-rental. I don't care if the warranty includes a GM tech that rides shotgun for 5 years. Those cars are put through hell...trust me, I worked at a major car rental chain for several years. And no, we didn't send them to the dealer. We had our own mechanic (if you could call him that) on hand and we sent it to Joe Blows oil & lube for oil changes.

I've seen them put a car back into rotation after a guy decided to put a gun in his mouth. Just a quick shampoo and new headliner. Top off used condoms, tubes of KY, etc. You get the picture. It's not just neutral drops and burnouts you have to worry about.

But if you have to get an ex-rental, it seems that Hertz and Avis would be the better picks as they mostly cater to business folks and charge a premium. Stay far away from Enterprise ex-rentals. They rent to anyone with a pulse.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Alright, I think I'm selling my Malibu, lol.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Alright, I think I'm selling my Malibu, lol.
Yeah me to, I think I got screwed!! I paid 13K for a 2010 with 30,000 miles. I think If I would have paid 17K plus for a non fleet car I could sleep a lot better at night.
Man, what was I thinking!!

·
Registered
134 Posts
I paid $12.9 for my '08, back in '09, with 21K Miles. :D

Definitely not mad at the deal.

For any car that my anal-retentive OCD'ness applies, I could never get a previous Rental, no matter how much the savings. For something I just need as a simple form of reliable transportation, I guess I proved to myself that if need be, I'll go pre-Rental (WITH a big enough Warranty), although it's still not ideal at all. I just will make sure to get the interior sanitized.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Mine was a previous day rental. It came with remote start. I loved getting in a defrosted, and warm car before work in the morning.

·
Registered
146 Posts
If it comes with a 100k powertrain warranty then that's good enough for me to buy a previous rental. Who cares what's been done in the interior before, I clean the crap out of any new car I buy, rental or not makes no difference.

·
Registered
171 Posts
If it comes with a 100k powertrain warranty then that's good enough for me to buy a previous rental. Who cares what's been done in the interior before, I clean the crap out of any new car I buy, rental or not makes no difference.
Powertrain warranty does not cover Skittles down the defroster vent, coke/coffee/water being spilled down the center console onto electric components, undercarriage/suspension damage due to curb jumping/off-roading and the list goes on and on. Basically if you are going to go used, you're better off looking for a lease return or one owner vehicle.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Powertrain warranty does not cover Skittles down the defroster vent, coke/coffee/water being spilled down the center console onto electric components, undercarriage/suspension damage due to curb jumping/off-roading and the list goes on and on. Basically if you are going to go used, you're better off looking for a lease return or one owner vehicle.

You do realize that you're paying several thousand less than buying most other bu's don't you ($3k less than any other bu in my area)? I could understand if you were paying the same price...

If you don't know how to thoroughly inspect a car before buying than that's your own fault. I guess I got the only perfect 10 previous rental out there....

·
Registered
171 Posts
You do realize that you're paying several thousand less than buying most other bu's don't you ($3k less than any other bu in my area)? I could understand if you were paying the same price...

If you don't know how to thoroughly inspect a car before buying than that's your own fault. I guess I got the only perfect 10 previous rental out there....
I'm not knocking you and your purchase decision; you may have got the diamond in the rough. I am just stating my personal preference due to my extensive background with rental cars/company. :cool:

·
Registered
6 Posts
I bought my 2010 LS in October with 31k for 13k. New tires were installed by the BMW dealer that were Nitrogen filled. Interior, engine, trunk were spotless. And by the way, it is FLEX-FUEL capable. BMW financing was great and no penalty for early pay-off. Also FREE car washes for life.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
to me a 100k powertrain warranty is hardly worth the paper it's written on.

practically all modern platforms should last 100k with proper maintenance, and if you make a claim the stealership is going to demand meticulous records proving documentation of strict adherence to the scheduled maintenance manual

as mentioned, the minority that prescribe to the "it's not mine" mentality, e.g. the children playing with electronic buttons and the immature starting it at full throttle or trying to use it to pull small trees out of their yard would be a greater concern.

peripherals will be shot long before the internal engine/tranny components

that being said, the majority of 1-2 year old Malibus/Impalas for sale are prior rentals/fleet cars

·
Registered
82 Posts
to me a 100k powertrain warranty is hardly worth the paper it's written on.

practically all modern platforms should last 100k with proper maintenance, and if you make a claim the stealership is going to demand meticulous records proving documentation of strict adherence to the scheduled maintenance manual
Our 2000 Chevy Venture (bought new) had to be rebuilt at ~25K miles when it was less than 3 years old. No one could ever give me a good explanation why the tranny completely failed. It was completely covered, without any interrogations from the dealer.

So sometimes stuff does break, even with a non-rental.

[I do have a long list of the stuff that went on the Venture (both before and after the 3 year bumper to bumper warranty). But I don't want to steal this thread talking about all that.]

·
Registered
4 Posts
My car was 9 months old and had $38,000 miles on it. It was owned by a rental company, and the only complaint I really had was the dirt. They needed to shampoo those seats!
I have another question, can someone please send me a private message and tell me how I can post a new post?? I can not figure this out!!! LOL! I have a problem with my brakes I want to ask about.
Thanks in advance! ~Mis

·
Registered
6 Posts
Bought my 2010 LTZ 3 weeks ago for $18k with only 12k miles on it, LOVE it so far. It was a prior rental, only thing that I found was some scuff marks in the rear but other than that it looks brand spanking new.

21 - 40 of 80 Posts