Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

41 - 60 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
400 Posts
I'm just curious, how many of you who bought used rentals got the 3.5L? I bought mine new from the dealer, who was able to find 3 other white ones on lots around the country.

I assumed that's all the rental companies would have, but the last time I was at a rental place (Jan 2010 at Hertz IIRC) they didn't have any Fleet cars, and mostly LTZ's...

·
Registered
32 Posts
Mine's a former rental unit and I like it so far (been driving it for a week now). Considering that it was built as rental (no bluetooth, no On*), it doesn't offer much for 'having-gadgets' value, especially considering it's a 2011, but the ride's great!

I normally would have opted to buy German, but this Chevy is a nice surprise in terms of subjective quality, looks and feel. I am especially in love with overall design - inside and out.

Being German, I realize that my car is based on the Opel Vectra platform, and while living in Germany I would have never bought an Opel, but this Malibu is so much nicer than the typical German made Opel. So kudos to GM for turning the boring Vectra into something more exciting for the US. :)

·
Registered
30 Posts
2011 LTZ Silver 2.4, Ebony Interior. Bought from Hertz 11/2011. 36K miles. Paid $15,300.

All the equipment-bluetooth, bose, leather, heat, XM, auto thermostat, window shade--is there. On-Star isn't active. XM is running, I'm a subscriber anyway so will renew when it drops. Car isn't pristine. Cracked enter grille, door dings, scraped under nose and low on right side. Interior is good but has a scraped up LR chrome handle and a couple nicks on door panels. Scrapes are all touched up now, one door ding will be fixed and the others may have to stay.

Chevy mechanic friend ran history and it has had transmission work at 24K. Currently has a leaking axle seal that Chevy dealer is fixing if he ever gets the part. LS2 tires looked to have never been rotated, that is done now. They are in good shape but rears looked almost new and fronts about 1/2 gone.

I'm OCD about cars but I drive 30K a year because family commitments so I can't justify running the wheels off a new car. The car drives nicely.

We'll see how this turns out. I'll let the group now if I have a disaster.

Attachments

·
Administrator
17,134 Posts
Can't argue with that! The only thing that would have scared me was the tranny work and now it's leaking.

The rest of it sounds just fine. You'll probably get over 30 mpg out of it if you drive long distances and keep it under 80. My V6 got 29.46 last summer on a 400-mile leg doing 75-80 between DC and Kentucky. A couple months ago I drove 60 (on purpose) for over 200 miles and got 36.4!

And the on-road manners are quite nice, too. I'd like it to handle better in corners but aside from that the rest of the car is a joy to operate.

Got any mods planned? Tint, lights, etc?

·
Registered
153 Posts
2011 LTZ Silver 2.4, Ebony Interior. Bought from Hertz 11/2011. 36K miles. Paid $15,300.

All the equipment-bluetooth, bose, leather, heat, XM, auto thermostat, window shade--is there. On-Star isn't active. XM is running, I'm a subscriber anyway so will renew when it drops. Car isn't pristine. Cracked enter grille, door dings, scraped under nose and low on right side. Interior is good but has a scraped up LR chrome handle and a couple nicks on door panels. Scrapes are all touched up now, one door ding will be fixed and the others may have to stay.

Chevy mechanic friend ran history and it has had transmission work at 24K. Currently has a leaking axle seal that Chevy dealer is fixing if he ever gets the part. LS2 tires looked to have never been rotated, that is done now. They are in good shape but rears looked almost new and fronts about 1/2 gone.

I'm OCD about cars but I drive 30K a year because family commitments so I can't justify running the wheels off a new car. The car drives nicely.

We'll see how this turns out. I'll let the group now if I have a disaster.
I don't think you did badly at all - get the axle seal fixed, touch up/fix up when ya can, & then maintain what ya got.

Because you'll drive about 30k a year (Road Warrior!), this may have been a good financial decision. I agree with you: why spend a wad on a new car to drive 2500 miles a month?

So, drive your LTZ with a smile and in style. Drove my rental 18k before I decided to buy it, and I was previously doing 600 miles a week.

It was easy to get over 30 MPG with it, unless I was running over 85mph.

Worked for me!

Merry Christmas!

·
Registered
24 Posts
I bought my 2011 LTZ (former rental with all LTZ options) in April this year with 9900 miles on it, in service date was July 2010, and I have put another 10k on it now, so far so good

·
Registered
30 Posts
I don't think you did badly at all - get the axle seal fixed, touch up/fix up when ya can, & then maintain what ya got.

Because you'll drive about 30k a year (Road Warrior!), this may have been a good financial decision. I agree with you: why spend a wad on a new car to drive 2500 miles a month?

So, drive your LTZ with a smile and in style. Drove my rental 18k before I decided to buy it, and I was previously doing 600 miles a week.

It was easy to get over 30 MPG with it, unless I was running over 85mph.

Worked for me!

Merry Christmas!
Thanks for the kind words. As I said earlier, we shall see.

I have a light foot but my highway mileage (running at about 65) is between 27-28 mpg (measured not by the 'puter but by filling up and computing).

Merry Christmas to you and the rest of the folks here.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Thanks for the kind words. As I said earlier, we shall see.

I have a light foot but my highway mileage (running at about 65) is between 27-28 mpg (measured not by the 'puter but by filling up and computing).

Merry Christmas to you and the rest of the folks here.
Same to you, Mike!

BTW.... unless you're driving mostly in hilly or mountain country, you should be getting a little better mileage than what you appear to be getting, so, just for giggles:

Double check your tire pressure with a good tire gauge -I run at the recommended 30psi, but I had it at 31psi when I was on the road.

Some winter blend gasoline can really hose your gas mileage. You may want to try a few different gasoline brands.

Are you hauling a lot of luggage or people?

It may be where you're driving or the traffic conditions, but in Florida, I was getting that same mileage (per the instant MPG in the car's computer) at 80+ mpg.

Just a thought!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Same to you, Mike!

BTW.... unless you're driving mostly in hilly or mountain country, you should be getting a little better mileage than what you appear to be getting, so, just for giggles:

Double check your tire pressure with a good tire gauge -I run at the recommended 30psi, but I had it at 31psi when I was on the road.

Some winter blend gasoline can really hose your gas mileage. You may want to try a few different gasoline brands.

Are you hauling a lot of luggage or people?

It may be where you're driving or the traffic conditions, but in Florida, I was getting that same mileage (per the instant MPG in the car's computer) at 80+ mpg.

Just a thought!
Thanks for the suggestions. Tire pressures are at 32 cold. I'm not a big guy. No luggage, other folks or livestock.

However, we do have winter blend here (left coast) and I've mostly stuck to (cheap) Costco gas. So, I will try some tanks of other brands. Each week, my long trip (260 miles or so) is identical so I should be able to experiment to impact of different fuels.

Do you think I should take my travel trailer off? (that was humor)

Thanks again.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Thanks for the suggestions. Tire pressures are at 32 cold. I'm not a big guy. No luggage, other folks or livestock.

However, we do have winter blend here (left coast) and I've mostly stuck to (cheap) Costco gas. So, I will try some tanks of other brands. Each week, my long trip (260 miles or so) is identical so I should be able to experiment to impact of different fuels.

Do you think I should take my travel trailer off? (that was humor)

Thanks again.
I use Costco gas occasionally - sometimes it did OK mpg-wise in my F150 (my previous ride), other times, it was wizzwater. About the same in my 'bu.

As for the travel trailer, I think as long as you keep the load in the trailer down to two kegs of beer, three quarts of Jack Daniels, and no more than 60 lbs of hot dogs, hamburgers, ribs and baked beans, oh, I guess your Malibu will pull it OK...... might get about 16 mpg....

But if not, hey, we can meet and have a tailgate party with you on the side of an Interstate until the tow truck shows up! :D

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hi, I picked up a Hertz rent2buy on 11/25/11 2011 Silver LTZ 29K miles for $15,500. The car is very clean cept for a mark on front/rear bumber covers and driver seat bolster breaking down a bit. I have put 1000 miles on it and so far very happy. It does seem like the steering is very sensetitive at 65-70MPH, almost like the steering is overpowered (if that makes sense).

Thx,
LB

·
Registered
1 Posts
Glad I found this thread. Yesterday I test drove two 2010 LT1's, both former rental units. Overall I was pleased. Carfax are clean.
Woke up this morning ready to choose one of them, but then I found the thread in this forum on transmission problems. :eek: Yikes! http://www.chevymalibuforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6653
On an Edmunds forum I found a similar thread discussing transmission trouble.

On the one hand it seems from the contented owners here that if the vehicle made it past 30K without transmission complaints, then the new owner is happy and doesn't find anything to complain about.
On the other hand, those folks on the other threads who bought Malibus and experienced transmission problems early on met with a lot of grief trying to get it resolved. They were talking about Lemon laws, attorneys, and all kinds of grief.

I believe I've found a couple good vehicles: low- to mid- 30K miles, priced at or below $13,000. This Chevy dealer wholesales to other dealerships in the region, so they can keep their prices lower (so they say).

However, since the dealership is a 2-hour drive from home, I dread the possibility of getting into a drawn-out transmission repair problem with them.

What do you all think? Thanks.

·
Administrator
17,134 Posts
Chevy is Chevy. If you buy it at one you can fix it at any.

·
Registered
2,824 Posts
@SmokeysRide, I completely agree with DrivenDaily. If you were to purchase either one of the Malibu's, you can get the servicing performed at any other Chevrolet dealership.

Michelle, Chevrolet Customer Service

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just bought a 2011 LT this week from Hertz. A few scratches here and there but nothing I wouldn't probably get while parking in the lot at work. 44,500 miles. Drives like a dream but then again, I've only had it since Tuesday! I have a good feeling about it though and my mechanic gave it the all clear. I'm in love.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I just bought a 2011 LT this week from Hertz. A few scratches here and there but nothing I wouldn't probably get while parking in the lot at work. 44,500 miles. Drives like a dream but then again, I've only had it since Tuesday! I have a good feeling about it though and my mechanic gave it the all clear. I'm in love.
Congratulations on your new to you LT. I think you'll find lots of useful information and helpful folks here. My 2011 LTZ is also a Hertz rescue car. So far, so good for me.

·
Registered
40 Posts
My '11 LTZ was a former rental. Bought it with 18k on it and piad 19,900 for it. The paint was a little rough (not dent or scratch wise, but took a clay bar to it and fixed that problem) but other than that, the car was immaculate. It was rental from North Carolina, sold at auction and ended up here in Houston. I have had not one problem with it!

41 - 60 of 80 Posts