Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

61 - 80 of 80 Posts

·
Premium Member
895 Posts
I'm glad so many have had good experiences with buying used rental cars. I considered that route prior to my newest Malibu purchase but worried to much about the things I can't see. Some of which were discussed halfway through this thread, the others being the internals of the engine and transmission. I'll admit I haven't been the most delicate with rental vehicles, not always on purpose. I guess I'm worried about karma.

·
Registered
2,824 Posts
@wpmommy1, congratulations on your Malibu. I am happy to read that you like it. Please, don't hesitate to get a hold of me with comments, questions and/or concerns.

Michelle, Chevrolet Customer Service

·
Registered
34 Posts
Bought my 2011 2LT used just about 2 weeks ago and it was a rental out of Ohio (I live in RI). Had 11500 on it and is pretty decked out for a rental... heated seats, blue tooth, turn by turn navi, etc. Only thing it doesnt have is the full power front seat and 6 way passenger or the USB head unit. The price was right and the dealer ate 4K bad equity on my trade so I really cant complain...

·
Premium Member
895 Posts
Bought my 2011 2LT used just about 2 weeks ago and it was a rental out of Ohio (I live in RI). Had 11500 on it and is pretty decked out for a rental... heated seats, blue tooth, turn by turn navi, etc. Only thing it doesnt have is the full power front seat and 6 way passenger or the USB head unit. The price was right and the dealer ate 4K bad equity on my trade so I really cant complain...
Congrats!!

Correct me if I'm wrong but I didn't think the USB headunit started being offered until '12.

·
Administrator
17,134 Posts
USB and Aux on my '11. Not sure if LTZ with Bose makes a difference or not. Bought in Oct '10.

·
Registered
395 Posts
The 2LT only has the 6 way power seat and regular passenger, both heated. No USB just the 3.5mm jack.

So seems as though you didn't get a fleet car but an actual 2LT that happened to be a rental.

·
Registered
34 Posts
The 2LT only has the 6 way power seat and regular passenger, both heated. No USB just the 3.5mm jack.

So seems as though you didn't get a fleet car but an actual 2LT that happened to be a rental.
thats correct. Car has been flawless thus far. Seeing I am in RI and the car came from OH and was bought at an auction in CT... I assume the car traveled from OH to RI and was left at a HERTZ or something for a bit. Seeing it only had 11500 on it... plus the travel from OH to RI... I doubt it was super abused. I cant tell anyways. Also, cars that are used for rentals are notoriously bad for their wear right? Dont rental company's service them though? Do you see how some people use their cars and then NEVER service them? double edged sword...

anyways, from what I hear, the USB head unit can be swapped plug and play (along with dealer reprogramming) so I think I will grab one from the junk yard and see how it goes. Not sure if its really worth it, or if grabbing the PAL system would be better. Whats the difference anyways?:confused:

·
Premium Member
49 Posts
I wouldn't worry too much about an ex-rental - all things being equal. We got a GP ('02) and Vibe ('07) as ex's and both are still running fine w/o major issues. The GP has 140,000+/- miles (younger son owns it now) and the Vibe has 98,000+ with only 1 repair; a covered recall for the engine control module. The dealership we use has a regular supply of lower mileage ex's. Although last summer the used inventory was thin, thus a new 'Bu. All that said, I'd hesitate if the ex had 30,000+ miles on it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
My 12 2LZ was a former rental picked it up with 26k miles, a couple scuffs but nice car. Also my previous car a 08 G6 GT was a ex rental. Bought it with 26k miles and ran it to 150k miles with no problems.

I put about 30k miles a year so it is hard to justify a new one, I get a year old and let someone else take the initial depreciation. Like any used car purchase wether ex rental or not give it a good look over if it looks good, it can be a great chance to save some money.

·
Premium Member
895 Posts
My 12 2LZ was a former rental picked it up with 26k miles, a couple scuffs but nice car. Also my previous car a 08 G6 GT was a ex rental. Bought it with 26k miles and ran it to 150k miles with no problems.

I put about 30k miles a year so it is hard to justify a new one, I get a year old and let someone else take the initial depreciation. Like any used car purchase wether ex rental or not give it a good look over if it looks good, it can be a great chance to save some money.
In your situation I would do the same thing. I only put 11,000 on my '12 last year and plan to sit on it for six years so my motives are 180' from the daily driver.

It can be hard to know all the kinks on a car if you're not automotive savvy or have a good mechanic. Case in point below... but that doesn't necessarily mean it's the fault of being a rental. We all know $h!t happens.

My 02 was a rental and the transmission exploded (literally) at 130,000 miles.

-Charles
While this can happen with any car, rentals are known for being run hard. Is it safe to say you won't be buying a former rental again or did you write it off on the vehicle itself?

·
Registered
372 Posts
I didn't know this one was a rental when I bought it.
I am elbow deep in a trans swap now, so I'm hoping to get many more years out of it.
I hope everything works out for you!

Yes, mine was a former rental. Bought it with 33k miles on it. Runs great.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Bought my 12 LTZ V6 this last January as a fleet rental. Had 32K miles. The weird thing is that it had gone through the certification process at the dealership, I have the checklist, but not the certified warranty... Then right after I bought it, had the steering rack replaced. Now I have a weird noise from the front suspension. Oh yea, and the bolts on the rear trunk lid have been repainted meaning the rear trunk lid has been removed/replaced. Had a clean carfax, but I suspect it was wrecked and covered up... Last rental I'll ever buy!

·
Registered
58 Posts
My Bu' was a company car. Its a 2009 3.5L w/ the 4 speed auto. It had 88k on it when I purchased it and its still running like a champ.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I bought my Bu with 170k on the dial, which is extremely high, given the fact that it's a 2011. Still, it was for a great price and I've racked up 10k myself on her in 6 months. I hadn't had a single issue, until just recently.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I bought my 2011 Chevy Malibu LT in Feb. 2012 from Hertz rentals. I rented it, took it to my mechanic and he checked it out. I paid $14K on the spot for it (I had saved up just to buy a car). I had transmission problems during my warranty period and my local Chevy dealer covered it 100% AND put me in a loaner for about a week NC while the work was being done. My Bu is now 7 years old and small things are starting to fail like my blinker signals (where I have to manually turn it off after turning), my tire pressure monitors (I just check my pressure periodically manually), and my airbag light is always on (which happened after AAA came and jump started my car). I have had battery issues for the last three years and have had to replace various burnt out fuses for the defroster and cigarette lighter. My batteries are always covered under warranty so I just get a new one. However, now my engine light comes on if I drive and turn my steering wheel aggressively so I have to be nice to her. My mechanic says it might be an oxygen sensor but I have yet to have him actually check it out. I want to give her to my daughter to go back and forth to local community college but she is not ready to drive (at 18 years old!!) . I have about 150-180K on her (I can't remember which but I know I'm over 150K). When I purchased her she had about 38K. I drive A LOT and go on a lot of road trips with my kids and girlfriends so this car is definitely used. I absolutely LOVE my car and I get regular oil changes. I may go BACK to Hertz if I decide to purchase another car because I had such a great experience.

61 - 80 of 80 Posts