Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ordered a set of pre-painted body side moldings from Chevy parts and assumed they were going to be a double sticky tape attachment. When I received the moldings, I was surprised to find posts on the back side in addition to the double sided tape as if they were designed to fit into holes. There is no way I am drilling holes in the doors to mount these. Would clipping off the plastic posts and just using the tape work OK or would they eventually come loose? I don't use automatic car washes so no concern there. Most cars I've bought had the trim already attached at the factory. For some reason it wasn't an orderable option on the '09 that I am aware of. Even more strange that dealer installed parts wouldn't just be a stick on affair. For $185 the set, I don't want to needlessly ruin these. :confused:

·
Registered
23 Posts
I had the side moldings installed at the time of purchase, along with the clear bra, and they look like they are just attached with an adhesive. I don't see any indication that there are mounting posts nor was I informed that any holes would have to be drilled for the installation, but then I didn't ask about it, either. By the way, I think the 'bu looks better with the moldings than without. :)

·
Registered
97 Posts
There's a debate on if it enhances the look.

I'm on the fence about them but more from a functional perspective. A salesman told me they prevent door dings which got me thinking.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I like them with - I am going to try and find one with them when I get mine.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I was going to add them; my dealer said they are adhesive only.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'll attach a picture of the front and back side of the molding along side the install instructions. Interesting the instructions make no mention of the posts. I'll probably just cut them off but I'm going to check with the dealers body shop first to see how they do it. The parts guy didn't have a clue which is understandable. For price, retail is $185 the set. In primer they were cheaper. Good news is that the color match was perfect.

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.