Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2008 LTZ is rated to have higher MPG than my old car but it seems to get worse. I guess it could be that I just got done with the break in period and am yet to get my first oil change but it just seems like I should get better overall MPG. On my last fill up I got around 25mpg.

·
Registered
512 Posts
You should be getting near 33 MPG...give or take a few...
How are you driving it?

·
Registered
420 Posts
Keep in mind that the number should be near 33 for all-highway driving. Mixed driving should be somewhere in the middle, toward the lower end for more stop and go and idling type stuff. Sounds like the 25 is in the right ballpark anyway.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I'd like to hear from some other people who only do in city driving. Most of these high MPG figures seem to be from people doing alot of highway miles. I only drive in city and am getting right around 19mpg per tank with my LTZ 4cyl. I guess I would have been the perfect candidate for a hybrid!

·
Registered
67 Posts
Engines are tight for the first couple thousand miles. Give it time. I'm getting about 25-26 mixed in my 08 4 speed. ALL highway yeilds 28-30 give or take. Mine only got 2600 miles on it though. Be patient.

I live in a small town outside KC, so my drive is 5 miles through town, then 7 highway miles to civilization. During a day running around town, I'll only get 22-23mpg. Then it picks back up once I'm on the highway again.

·
Registered
51 Posts
My 6-speed v6 gets a pitiful 19 mpg even tho my last car only had gotten 21

but i dont really care, the ride is nice and i am the only one i know who doesn't bitch about gas prices :)
I keep my DIC on the avg mpg tab and i only get 19.7mpg (7.4 miles a day city).

I make 52k a year so i don't bitch about the gas prices either lol

·
Premium Member
903 Posts
I keep my DIC on the avg mpg tab and i only get 19.7mpg (7.4 miles a day city).

I make 52k a year so i don't bitch about the gas prices either lol
How often do you reset it? At fill up? That's an important part and often skews people's numbers, when they don't know to do so.

Around town numbers always go lower, of course, and these cars with the Ecotec do well but not amazingly so in such stop and go. It's a lot of revving to get up to speed, basically, though having a 4-speed one and driven a 6-speed, the latter helps a LOT with keeping those revs down and the power coming properly.

I'd say 25 mpg is very good if that's mixed. My mother's 2LT 4-cyl does her 3 mile each way commute with stop signs & lights 4 times a day for 6k miles now, and she's up to about 22.5 mpg average with that. If I take it with me to work (13 miles, a lot more cruising and less stopping) I hit 25-28 mpg on average.

It varies a lot and the more around town or stops you throw in, it will die greatly. My '07 Malibu 2.2L rental used to pull about 22-23 mpg in heavy stop and go but would then effortlessly get 37 mpg on the highway. I don't think our new 2.4L can achieve that steady yet, but it's close, with her telling me "33-35 when I watched it" on a highway trip.

·
Registered
51 Posts
How often do you reset it? At fill up? That's an important part and often skews people's numbers, when they don't know to do so.

Around town numbers always go lower, of course, and these cars with the Ecotec do well but not amazingly so in such stop and go. It's a lot of revving to get up to speed, basically, though having a 4-speed one and driven a 6-speed, the latter helps a LOT with keeping those revs down and the power coming properly.

I'd say 25 mpg is very good if that's mixed. My mother's 2LT 4-cyl does her 3 mile each way commute with stop signs & lights 4 times a day for 6k miles now, and she's up to about 22.5 mpg average with that. If I take it with me to work (13 miles, a lot more cruising and less stopping) I hit 25-28 mpg on average.

It varies a lot and the more around town or stops you throw in, it will die greatly. My '07 Malibu 2.2L rental used to pull about 22-23 mpg in heavy stop and go but would then effortlessly get 37 mpg on the highway. I don't think our new 2.4L can achieve that steady yet, but it's close, with her telling me "33-35 when I watched it" on a highway trip.

I honestly didn't know you could reset the the avg mpg thing. I thought you could only reset the oil life meter. I am going to have to see if i can reset it.

·
Premium Member
903 Posts
I honestly didn't know you could reset the the avg mpg thing. I thought you could only reset the oil life meter. I am going to have to see if i can reset it.
YES. Certainly do. I do it regularly at a fill up to see what I get for that tank, but also if I've done a lot of around town and then take a highway trip, I like to see exactly what my average works out to for that cruise and without having been sliced by the average of all the city numbers before it.

It's the same press and hold of the Select/arrow button.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Computer milage is not accurate its an estimate mileage, city driving I average by the computer, 17 to 19, by doing the math 22 to 24, haven't done any real long distant highway driving but highway/city computer says 19/20 doing the math averaging 26

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.