Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have and I must say that this trunk is kind of worthless for hauling more than 1 bag. The height of the trunk makes it so hard to get a bag in and out without spilling your clubs from the angle you have to pull your bag out.

Has anyone got any suggestions for me or others with this same problem?

·
Registered
202 Posts
Put them in the back seat.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I put mine in club heads first kind of diagonally and they fit - but like you said, one bag only.

I would think you could fold down the back seats and put 2 in straight in club heads first. But that is assuming you don't need the back seat.

Chris

·
Registered
67 Posts
I have and I must say that this trunk is kind of worthless for hauling more than 1 bag. The height of the trunk makes it so hard to get a bag in and out without spilling your clubs from the angle you have to pull your bag out.

Has anyone got any suggestions for me or others with this same problem?
If you need to haul golf clubs you should have gotten a truck or a Lincoln Towncar. The Malibu has a HUGE trunk for it's size. You should see the trunk space in other midsize sedans...

For me, it depends on the bag. I've fit 2 Ping hoofers in just fine, but any bulky cart bag causes issues.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I keep my stand bag in there but more than one bag ain't going to happen. I could fold the seats down which would solve the problem but I have two children's car seats in the back seats so it's inconvenient. I came out of an Accord that absolutely did not have this problem. I also looked at an Altima that didn't have this problem. I don't know about the Camry. Honestly I wouldn't mind as much if access to the small trunk was easy but with that trunk sill it's a royal pain to get bags in and out!

·
Registered
13 Posts
The funny thing is that according to the specs the Malibu is in the range of it's typical competition

'08 Malibu LTZ - 15.1 cu ft
'08 Accord EX - 14.0
'09 Sonata SE - 16.3
'08 Fusion SEL - 15.8
'08 Altima SL - 15.3
'08 Camry LE - 15.0
'08 Passat turbo - 14.2
'09 Galant SE - 13.3

but you wouldn't know that given how you have to navigate getting stuff in and out.

It's great that you don't get the traditional hinges taking up valuable space but the trunk opening and overall height really does the car a disservice. I have to be careful every time I put my martial arts gear in the trunk unlike my old 93 Camry LE which could carry a lot of junk.

That along with the lack of bluetooth and rear center armrest were the few things I had to just compromise on when I ultimately decided on a 2LT. If was was hauling more stuff in the trunk on a regular basis I would have had a tough decision to make.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If you need to haul golf clubs you should have gotten a truck or a Lincoln Towncar. The Malibu has a HUGE trunk for it's size. You should see the trunk space in other midsize sedans...

For me, it depends on the bag. I've fit 2 Ping hoofers in just fine, but any bulky cart bag causes issues.
I would never buy a truck just to haul 2 golf club bags, the trunk on the malibu is so much shorter than others and is does NOT have a HUGE trunk for its size, sorry but the space is wasted if you have such a small trunk opening.

I guess I just hate that everytime I go to get my clubs out of the trunk they spill out because of the steep angle I have to remove them by.

Thanks for all the responses

·
Registered
171 Posts
Is it the size of the trunk or the size of the opening to the trunk that makes it difficult to put your golf bag in there?

·
Registered
421 Posts
I was originally bothered by the size of the opening, but lately I've found it's the shallowness of the trunk itself, combined with the hump about midway back in it, that bothers me most. It makes it hard to get things in and out, and taller stuff won't fit at all. And even though the 2004 'bu sedan we had may not have had much more trunk space (~15.4 cubes), it seemed cavernous compared to my LTZ.

It's a good thing that the trunk gets less use than the old car, or I probably wouldn't have bought it. We use a Trailblazer for anything that needs carrying capacity anyway though, so it's not as big a deal as it would've been once.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am heading out to test drive a LTZ tonight but it just occurred to me that I may from time to time need to fit a stroller in my soon to be Malibu. I could not find the specs anywhere of how big the opening is, and now that I read this thread, I am concerned. Can anyone point me to where I can get the trunk opening measurements?

I have a crappy little '05 Cobalt right now and that tiny trunk opening (the trunk itself is plenty big enough for a small car) drives me crazy...

Thanks folks.

·
Registered
70 Posts
The trunk opening is small, but overall the trunk is very long. I'm able to fit in some 2foot wide 4 foot long sheets of plywood with no problem.

·
Registered
421 Posts
What he ^^ said. My biggest gripe now isn't even the opening, it's the depth. The trunk is relatively wide and long, but also pretty shallow top to bottom. On my LTZ, there's also a hump about halfway or so back in the bottom the makes it even shallower right there. If the car were a hatchback (notchback?? I mean like some of the Mazda 6's- retaining the current exterior design but having a glass and deck shelf that lifts with the trunklid), making the opening MUCH easier to access, I think I'd be a whole lot happier with it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Well, I went out for my test drive (loved it) but that damn trunk - it has the same height as my cobalt (around 15 inches) - it is about 3 inches wider than the cobalt (Malibu - 37 to 38 inches I think) but that does not matter - I will not be able to fit our stroller in it (I remember not being able to fit my cooler in my cobalt either because of the opening). Argh, unfortunately, that's a dealer breaker for me.

Just thought I would post this follow up as again, I could not find anything anywhere online about how big the trunk opening is

·
Registered
701 Posts
tupalev - Did you check out the Chevrolet.com site? In Canada at least if you build one it will show you those spec's. Also on the Chevrolet.com site you can download the brochure which also has the spec's for the trunk it also. HOpe this will help.

·
Registered
421 Posts
It'd be nice if the sites listed the actual dimensions (L x W x H) instead of just volume. As tupalev pointed out, the 08's trunk is shallow (~15"). I don't remember the actual depth of the 04 we had, but it seemed quite a bit more than this. Combined with a small opening, it makes it a bit less convenient to use.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Went golfing for the first time since I got my Malibu. Absolutely no problem getting clubs in our out. I was curious too, having read this thread previously.

·
Registered
701 Posts
I have to agree with the stdmgldr, I was out golfing last week, and put my clubs in the car. I have to say I was quite happy how much room there was inside. Now I did notice like others have said you have to put them in on an angle, however I keep my bag covered on the top with the piece it came with and really have no problems at all.

·
Registered
81 Posts
i too noticed the lack of the opening size on the Malibu, and it almost turned me away from it originally... it actually did turn me away for a few weeks...

i have a decent size cart bag and have to remove my driver before putting the bag into the trunk... no big deal, heck i should probably not play with a driver anyhow, since i can hit a long iron 225 off the tee all day and be 100x straighter with it... LOL...

i do not like the fact that there is no power outlet in the trunk... :(

·
Registered
95 Posts
I get 2 bags in pretty easly, usually at an angle, not 2 bags and 2 push carts won't happen which is weird I had a Fud Focus for a bit and could fit everything in the truck, crazy.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.