Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I added some LED tail lights to my Silverado that I really like, but haven’t found anything for the Malibu yet. I saw some on eBay, but the description of the product had about every make and model under the sun and I quickly quit looking there.

·
Super Moderator
2016 Malibu 1LT 1.5T
2,690 Posts
Why don't you want the "one size might fit all" eBay lights that fit the Impala, Malibu (all years), Outback, Deere Riding Lawn Mower 125, Mercury Topaz (all years), Dyson Animal Vacuum (all years), etc?

·
Super Moderator
2016 Malibu 1LT 1.5T
2,690 Posts
Reactions: cp-the-nerd

·
Registered
303 Posts
If you can do some minor wiring work and don’t mind not having all the features of the lamps then you should look into the Audi ones, I’ve had them two years and still running strong

Reactions: DrivenDaily

·
Administrator
2011 Malibu LTZ 3.6L V6 Red Jewel Tintcoat
18,229 Posts
I would like see if you ever got the sequencing thing to work or not.

·
Registered
303 Posts
I would like see if you ever got the sequencing thing to work or not.
Unfortunately not because there is no way to seperate the signal from the brake circuit, I just had to learn to live with the brake and signal being on one circuit :(

·
Administrator
18,229 Posts
Aha!

I can divorce the brake from the turn signal. If you're not afraid of a little wiring, send me a PM and we'll discuss it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I found a video of a user called silversurfer, he changed his taillights and you can see that the stop and turn signal work ... in the comments he mentions that they are plug and play but then he says that they were installed professionally. I also found this device to convert two-wire circuits to three wire in the taillights to separate stop and turn signals, I think this is the solution for the taillights issues.

The links to the device, hope it help:

https://www.etrailer.com/question-146977.html

https://www.etrailer.com/tv-Demo-Curt-Accessories-and-Parts-C56196.aspx

·
Administrator
18,229 Posts
I'd like to wire up the front turn signals so they're on like what he did
Like what who did? This thread is about the aftermarket taillights.

I have my front turn signals (on my Gen7) wired to act as DRLs instead of my low beams.

When I designed the circuit, I chose to have both DRLs go dark when one is flashing. I plan to change that so that the one not flashing stays on. That way I'll have constant DRL light. But I've also noticed in the bumpers and tailgates of cars in front of me that when I use a turn signal, the first flash is kinda deceiving because the signal being flashed stays on while the DRL goes out, so it looks like the other side is gonna flash before the actual signal starts to do so.

It's an easy circuit, so if you want to have your front signals to be DRLs instead of your low beams, it's possible.

·
Registered
804 Posts
in the video he has turn signal switchbacks. I was looking at schematics earlier and it might just be a simple bulb change plus load resistor. i'll do some voltage checks tomorrow

·
Administrator
18,229 Posts
Switchbacks take no wiring mods AFAIK. The dim white comes on with the running lights, the bright amber comes on with the turn signals. Instead of just adding the extra light from the TS, the switchbacks turn off the running lights to allow the TS to flash.

That's different from using the TS as DRLs.

When you do your checks, if you have more questions, just ask and we'll see if we can answer them.

·
Registered
804 Posts
With the DRLs in the front bumper, the turn signals don't act as the DRLs. I have a service manual to verify.

·
Administrator
18,229 Posts
My Gen7 uses the low beams as DRLs. I changed that to use my TS bulbs.

Since yours has dedicated DRLs that don't repurpose the headlights, you don't need to do any wiring at all to put in switchbacks. That's a good thing!

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I no longer have my Malibu(upgraded to a 2020 Terrain). But, how the hell did this transform into a DRL discussion?

Oh. Look. Squirrel!

·
Administrator
18,229 Posts
Post #13 took us off-topic. I'd like to get back on topic, but I'm a nut and hear there's a squirrel around here somewhere!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts