Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what weight are you using...?

i'm ready for my first change, and i'll switch over to sythetic, as I usually do...

just wanted some input on the change, if you noticed any difference...

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
I'm running Pennz Platinum 5/30 oil in my LTZ. switched over to synthetic when it hit the 3K mark. I haven't noticed any difference but the only thing i'll do different is extend my oil changes from 3K to 5K :D

·
Registered
569 Posts
I'm coming up just under 3K miles on mine.. Im going to use the free oil changes the dealer gives for the first year of ownership and then switch over to syth, Maybe they will let me pay the difference hmmm..

·
Registered
122 Posts
I am going to switch over to Mobil 1 5W30 in about 1000 miles. I have been very happy with their product. I have been interesed in Valvoline's new Synthetic line however, I will probably stay with Mobil 1. There was a post elsewhere in this forum where the author stated that if they brought the product (oil and filter) to the dealership, they would only charge him for the labor. I dont mind changing the oil myself, but it is kind of a pain in the winter, especially when you have to go get your tires rotated anyways. I have not asked my dealership if they would do that for me... I am sceptical if they would really use the synthetic or just pocket it (for Corvette changes) and use the cheap GM oil on my car. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
67 Posts
what weight are you using...?

i'm ready for my first change, and i'll switch over to sythetic, as I usually do...

just wanted some input on the change, if you noticed any difference...
15W-50 is a good pick...

No, seriously, 0W to 10W-30 will do just fine.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I am going to switch over to Mobil 1 5W30 in about 1000 miles. I have been very happy with their product. I have been interesed in Valvoline's new Synthetic line however, I will probably stay with Mobil 1. There was a post elsewhere in this forum where the author stated that if they brought the product (oil and filter) to the dealership, they would only charge him for the labor. I dont mind changing the oil myself, but it is kind of a pain in the winter, especially when you have to go get your tires rotated anyways. I have not asked my dealership if they would do that for me... I am sceptical if they would really use the synthetic or just pocket it (for Corvette changes) and use the cheap GM oil on my car. :rolleyes:
Valvoline's Synpower is a strange offering. Claims better wear numbers than Mobil 1 (in an obsolete 4-ball wear test) but oddly won't pass GM 4718M specs for synthetic oil requirements. It failed the high-temp deposit test, which is ironic considering that is one of the major advantages of a synthetic offering.

I don't trust the dealership to do hardly ANYTHING right. If you walked in with a jug of oil and asked them to use it, you would leave with their bulk oil in your sump and your new jug of synthetic in the service guy's oil stash. Also, they don't stock quarts of synthetic oil. They have drums of synthetic just like the dino, because so many of GMs new vehicles are now requiring synthetic.

Don't waste your money on synthetic if you aren't going to streach your oil change intervals. The cheapest SM rated dino will give you IDENTICAL wear numbers to synthetic oils at 5K intervals. No joke. If you're going to actually streach your OCIs longer, then synthetic is a more worthy candidate. Too many people have false notions of what synthetic oil can/can't do. One of the things synthetic is best at is eating unnecessary holes in peoples wallets.

·
Registered
72 Posts
impacted - I agree with your statement about there being no wear advantage to using synthetic unless you stretch out the change interval. There is one area where I find synthetic superior and that is with cold weather starts. With my GM diesel truck on dyno at 0F and below this truck always had to be plugged in to guarantee a start. If it wasn't plugged in forget about it as it would barely turn over. A diesel truck forum that I visit suggested switching to synthetic oil and recommended Shell Rotella full synthetic 5W40. After putting this oil in the truck it starts much easier when cold. The engine simply spins easier. I still plug in on the very cool nights, but I don't have to. I leave this oil in winter and summer and change at 5000 miles. This feature is probably not as important in our small Malibu gas engines, but it's still a difference that I found when I switched to synthetic for my truck and I think it might be an important factor to consider for extremely cold weather starts. I haven't decided if I'll run synth in the Malibu because of the points you noted - however I might consider it for one change during the winter. Thanks.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Valvoline's Synpower is a strange offering. Claims better wear numbers than Mobil 1 (in an obsolete 4-ball wear test) but oddly won't pass GM 4718M specs for synthetic oil requirements. It failed the high-temp deposit test, which is ironic considering that is one of the major advantages of a synthetic offering.

I don't trust the dealership to do hardly ANYTHING right. If you walked in with a jug of oil and asked them to use it, you would leave with their bulk oil in your sump and your new jug of synthetic in the service guy's oil stash. Also, they don't stock quarts of synthetic oil. They have drums of synthetic just like the dino, because so many of GMs new vehicles are now requiring synthetic.

Don't waste your money on synthetic if you aren't going to streach your oil change intervals. The cheapest SM rated dino will give you IDENTICAL wear numbers to synthetic oils at 5K intervals. No joke. If you're going to actually streach your OCIs longer, then synthetic is a more worthy candidate. Too many people have false notions of what synthetic oil can/can't do. One of the things synthetic is best at is eating unnecessary holes in peoples wallets.
One thing Ive noticed when changing my synthetic oil is how much cleaner it is. If you have has used dino oil on your hands it takes forever to get off the smell. Mobil 1 cleans up easily with no extended smell.

Ive switched to Mobil 1 and plan to run about 8000-10,000 miles between changes. I'm not sure how accurate the DIC reading is but after 7000 miles it still read 55% oil life.

I drive about 3000 miles per month so the extended ranges will mean less trips to the lube man.

·
Premium Member
915 Posts
I'm thinking about doing the same too, with my 2009 3.6L.

At 2100 miles now and still 76%, so also not sure when to get the first change done. My father keeps my mother's '08 2.4L on his lifetime 3k mile dino oil & filter changes like clockwork, but synthetic & 5k seems like a good move...once I figure out when to get the first one done.

·
Registered
9 Posts
We actually use synthetic up here Impacted not for the longer intervals, but the viscosity doesn't change like dino oil in the cold temperatures. It stays really fluid in the cold, and can still travel through the oil galleries alot easier and sooner. Which in turn lubricates the engine sooner at -30 C.
My hydraulic lifters in my older truck would clatter for 15 minutes in the cold on dino oil....switched to syn oil, and it ticked for about 3 seconds then nothing...quiet!!

Cheers,
Tony

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
funny cause i just passed 5K miles on mine and the oil readout still shows 49%...

all for naught now, since I'll be trading her in tomorrow... she's a great car, just not for me for the long term...

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
I'm thinking about doing the same too, with my 2009 3.6L.

At 2100 miles now and still 76%, so also not sure when to get the first change done. My father keeps my mother's '08 2.4L on his lifetime 3k mile dino oil & filter changes like clockwork, but synthetic & 5k seems like a good move...once I figure out when to get the first one done.
I would have dumped the oil and filter 1100 miles ago ;) did my 3.6 LTZ at 500,1500 and 3K miles switching to synthetic, i'll bump up my oil changes to the 5K mark :D

·
Registered
42 Posts
I have an '08 LTZ V6, and I also swithed over to Mobil1 at 3,000 miles. I am also planning on changing the oil change interval to 5,000 miles.

Follow up question: If you have a shop do the oil change and your other service every 5K miles, how often do you recommend doing tire rotations? Is every 10K okay?

Steve

·
Registered
44 Posts
Just put in Super Tech 5w-30 syn. Sorry, I go by price. I will do 7,000-8,000 no problem with one filter too. In the last decade with newer oil and engines going 5,000-6,000 on regular old dino oil was all that is needed. After going 3,000 miles with factory oil then having dip-stick-technician put in 10w-30 I can tell you in a matter of hours I lost over 1.00mpg. I am amazed how 5w-30 syn starts this beast now. I am now synthetic for life.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Yes, I do tires at 10,000 miles give or take 1,000 have on all my cars usually get 50,000 miles on them. Yes, I go by price on tires too. Cars just need a little tlc. Oh, and I have never had a transmission related issue from a GM either. Owned countless ones too. Use your parking brake and don't shift to drive from reverse like you do every time leaving the driveway! I mean GM builds crap it keeps breaking on me! Ya, ok typical American consumer the problem is not me.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.