Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I m trying to get out of my 08 LTZ for a 08 Z06 and can t seem to make the trade work at the dealer. I guess the used market is also hurt by the lack of new car sales. It has 5-6K miles and is mint. You can see I ve been here for a while too. Car was switched to Mobil One Synthetic oil. It is a lease .Interested persons can contact me best at e mail/ [email protected].

·
Premium Member
915 Posts
Located in the upstate NY area. Never got an offer from the dealer.
If you were already working a trade...there had to be some kind of a figure in relation to the Malibu, in some way. Or how would "can't seem to make the trade work at the dealer"?;)

As Diezel found recently trading his '08 LTZ with almost identical mileage, the values have sagged but eventually ended up with (don't want to do this for you Diezel, but I remember it) $18.2k:

http://www.chevymalibuforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1491

Otherwise, sheesh, a Z06...

·
Registered
139 Posts
You know, if GM says its cars are as good as other brands, why don't they start a program that has a guarenteed trade value?

$18k for roughly a $30k car after one year is ridiculous.

Overproduction, high discounts upfront lead to bad resale.

It's a viscous cycle that GM got itself into and one reason why people stopped buying from them.

Sad, but true, to get your money out of a GM car, you need to hold it for about 7 years.

·
Premium Member
714 Posts
You know, if GM says its cars are as good as other brands, why don't they start a program that has a guarenteed trade value?

$18k for roughly a $30k car after one year is ridiculous.
I do not believe it is. I traded in my 07 Accord this summer. It had 18-19 thousand of miles on it. The trade in was 17 grand, and the car was 30 new a year prior. Of course, we're talking canadian currency and prices, but it's not that far off. Also, the economy was stronger than so presumably it was not as much of a buyers market back then.

I believe the depreciation difference becomes apparent perhaps somewhere at 2 year mark. But this drop you're talking about seems to be a regular difference between a new and used trade in pirces, which is always tough even for Honda that is about a slowest depreciating make.

What guaranteed trade-in? Unless you're talking about a lease, I have never hear about it.

Btw, not even all japanese brands depreciate that slowly. Look at sagging values of 2-3 year old Maximas.

GM is a bargain after 2-3 years, which does not really always reflect the value of those vehicles. GM has a rough history and not the best reputation, but we do not need to make it sound worse than it is. Imports are far, far from perfect too and some big names have been going down in quality for some time now.

·
Premium Member
714 Posts
cerbomark, does your decision to sell have something to do with the vibration issue?

·
Registered
112 Posts
nothing to do with the sale ..... yury you art gallery is really good. you are really good at taking pictures. just wanted to compliment you.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
no vibrations, that was corrected, no current issues. I have bought a Jeep Wrangler for every day driving and now have the $$$ to buy the Z06. BUT I have to get rid of something. I gave the dealer all the info they needed on the Malibu a month ago and told them to call me if they could take it back on a trade for the Z06. It s one of the largest Corvette dealers in Upstate NY area. I just e mailed them back today cause I m curious now about the trade. I believe the market is so bad that they can t even make a reasonable offer. If that s the case I will drive it a while more. It s a nice ride anyway!

·
Registered
493 Posts
I thought by your first post you mentioned this was a Lease Option you went for on the 08? A Lease would be different and I can't remember if Chevrolet is even offering the Corvette Z06 on a Lease deal.

No matter what you buy as a new car you can expect to lose almost 50% of the value of the car after a year, depreciation hits the worst in the first year and almost as bad the second year it's owned. Most dealers don't take many year old cars as a trade since they are probably trying to off load the ones still sitting there from that same year. And with prices dropping on the new Malibu who would look at a used 08 that runs more in price than one that's new with just test mileage on it, just doesn't seeem to be a very good deal on a used one, and you know the dealer's gonna try to make a profit off of a trade in.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Depreceiation % depends on how close you paid to MSRP. Not really GM's fault, they would love to sell at sticker, but can't. Malibus are going for 20% off MSRP now. So 30K MSRP, selling for 24 new, 19 used. So trade in will be less then 19, unless dealer make enough on the new sale.

How was the vibration issure corrected?

·
Premium Member
915 Posts
Depreceiation % depends on how close you paid to MSRP. Not really GM's fault, they would love to sell at sticker, but can't. Malibus are going for 20% off MSRP now. So 30K MSRP, selling for 24 new, 19 used. So trade in will be less then 19, unless dealer make enough on the new sale.
Perfect post, thank you;-)

·
Registered
139 Posts
Not GM's fault? They price a car at 30k but sell it for 24k? Who's fault is that? Maybe they should adjust their prices more in line with reality.

Of course, if they priced it at 24k then customers would want 20% of that price.

·
Premium Member
915 Posts
Not GM's fault? They price a car at 30k but sell it for 24k? Who's fault is that? Maybe they should adjust their prices more in line with reality.

Of course, if they priced it at 24k then customers would want 20% of that price.
True. They actually were, and it was working, but a recent change in particular was a sudden price increase a few months into the model year that raised things like the Malibu another $1k or more overnight. An LS with the tagline price of $19,995 and a loaded LTZ V6 still under $29k was very attractive, to start. Then we had the increases and, well, the sales dump.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I was just e mailed and told they can not get the financing with the Malibu included as a trade???? Don t know what this means unless they are just going to dump a hugh depresiation (sp) number of the Mailbu onto the new car causing the cost to be way too much??? So I asked if they could get me out of the Mailbu and will provided my own financing on the Z06...

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.